METAL Apreesh

im surprised that some of these bands were mentioned. metal to me is older and doesnt seem to be around anymore,  any band mentioned in the op i wouldnt categorize as metal...i guess metal-core. nothing against those bands. i love hatebreed.  since the majority of the bands posted in this thread are new ill throw some down...

war of ages, sinai beach, summers end, the agony scene, all shall perish, a life once lost, bloodlined calligraphy 

green jelly, scatterbrain?

i have to disagree with hatebreeds new album being their heaviest, its good but its not the same.

their first album and perseverance ruled hard.

They are, in the parlance of our times, total shitcicles.

I've been revisiting a lot of long forgotten classics from my high school days. Albums like None So Vile by Cryptopsy, Sewn Mouth Secrets by Soilent Green, and Paegan Terrorism Tactics by Acid Bath. And a shitload of Sabbath, because I go on the occasional kick of listening to them nonstop every once in a while.

In addition to more recent releases by The Sword, Pallbearer, High On Fire, etc.

I'm so lukewarm on SYL. They're great live, and have a bunch of songs that seem pretty awesome. But on the whole, they just sound too rigid and industrial for my taste.

They're one of the few bands that can write a song like "You Suck" and still be taken seriously, to me anyway.

Gojira

Meshuggah

Burnt By the Sun

Pig Destroyer

Car Bomb

Candiria

Coalesce

Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend

Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, and Gojira have all been getting a lot of listens around my place.

I think that metal can mean many different things to different people. I do agree with what people have been saying about Hatebreed and The Chariot maybe not being a real, true metal band, but I think that hardcore is a subgenre of metal. The bands both have punk elements as well, but I've always just thought of hardcore music being within the metal family. 

im surprised that some of these bands were mentioned. metal to me is older and doesnt seem to be around anymore,  any band mentioned in the op i wouldnt categorize as metal...i guess metal-core. nothing against those bands. i love hatebreed.  since the majority of the bands posted in this thread are new ill throw some down...

war of ages, sinai beach, summers end, the agony scene, all shall perish, a life once lost, bloodlined calligraphy 

i have to disagree with hatebreeds new album being their heaviest, its good but its not the same.

their first album and perseverance ruled hard.

All Shall Perish is wicked. I've been listening to them since The Price of Existence and I'm finally going to see them in a couple weeks for the first time. Every release from these guys is solid.

I agree that Hatebreed isn't the same, but I wasn't really a fan of Satisfaction... and Perserverance. The only albums of theirs that I listen to on a regular basis are The Rise of Brutality, and Supremacy. Never really got into the S/T album, but I am going to give it a few listens once I listen to the new one a few more times. I guess I prefer their newer music over what they started off doing.

Gojira

Meshuggah

Burnt By the Sun

Pig Destroyer

Car Bomb

Candiria

Coalesce

Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend

i forgot to include maudlin of the Well. Their first three albums are incredible.

Not into the new wave (3rd of 4th gen) of metal. everything just sounds trite. not to mention i find it humorous when the bands try to be as hard as they possibly can. if the logo is illegible i can't the band seriously.

also i listen to way too much metal:

witchfynde, mammoth grinder, innumerable forms, graven rite, kylesa, shitstorm, exciter, manilla road, iron age, witch cross, mercyful fate, iron maiden, saxon, neurosis, and the almighty slayer. 

oh, that new pallbearer album is sooo fucking good.

green jello? i thought they were a joke band and couldn't be taken seriously? sorta like that band "white trash" from around the same era. such a horrible band nonetheless.

scatterbrain - i'm not going down with the ship. great live band.

That's awese that you know Manilla Road, I try talking about them to people all the time because they're here from Wichita, but nobody has a clue

how can i not. i listened to them as a kid in the 80's and i'll be seeing them in a few months at CHAOS IN TEJAS. it's gonna be awesome!

if you like Manilla Road you should listen to this band i put out: Graven Rite. they were a major influence on this band. well vocals at least.

http://gravenrite.bandcamp.com/

All Shall Perish is wicked. I've been listening to them since The Price of Existence and I'm finally going to see them in a couple weeks for the first time. Every release from these guys is solid.

I agree that Hatebreed isn't the same, but I wasn't really a fan of Satisfaction... and Perserverance. The only albums of theirs that I listen to on a regular basis are The Rise of Brutality, and Supremacy. Never really got into the S/T album, but I am going to give it a few listens once I listen to the new one a few more times. I guess I prefer their newer music over what they started off doing.

Saw all shall perish live in 2007 0r 8 can't remember anyway they were terrible so hopefully theve improved, the red shore absolutely blew them out of the water.

green jello? i thought they were a joke band and couldn't be taken seriously? sorta like that band "white trash" from around the same era. such a horrible band nonetheless.

scatterbrain - i'm not going down with the ship. great live band.

yeah they changed their name due to jell-o getting on their case, but i guess its pronounced the same way, but their was music was good, haha. 

3 Little Pigs was an awesome song, i had their "cereal killer" on tape when I was younger. i love that album

i was just reading some stuff on them and came across some interesting connections with Tool...

• Danny Carey from Tool was a member of Green Jellÿ for five years, and played drums on the album Cereal Killer. He is also featured in the video for "Electric Harley House (Of Love)", among others.
  • Maynard James Keenan, vocalist for Tool, recorded a song with Green Jellÿ. On the song Three Little Pigs Maynard sang backing vocals (he sings the falsetto "Not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin.")(THIS IS AWESOME) Maynard is also mentioned in the song "Green Jellö Sucks" in the lyric "Maynard, and Poopie—they're both insane!" and appears in the music video for the 333 album song "Slave Boy".
  • The song "Message to Harry Manback" on Tool's Ænima is an actual message left on Gary Helsinger's (Hotsy Menshot) answering machine by a former friend from Italy, whom Gary had just kicked out of his apartment for stealing his roommate's belongings. "Harry Manback" is a reference to routine from the late comedian Bill HicksMaynard James Keenan and Danny Carey were both roommates of Bill Manspeaker during Green Jellö, and Gary was later roommates with Maynard as well as Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle.
  • Tool was signed to the same label as Green Jellÿ, the now-defunct Zoo Entertainment.
  • Tool's first EP has songs recorded live at the Green Jellö loft.[10]

When I think of metal I think of old stuff.

Pre Black album Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Anthrax, Megadeth stuff like that. 

Some of the newer stuff I am into 

12 inches of Blood, Municiple Waste etc etc

Also Hatebreed is the hardest band ever and deserve there own category of music.

Also Hatebreed is the hardest band ever and deserve there own category of music.

Serious question: how does everyone define "hard"?  I seriously don't get it, I listen to music that I would consider way "harder" than Hatebreed, and even some of the bands you listed in the same post I'd consider WAY harder than Hatebreed.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not picking on Hatebreed or jhook here.  It's just an example, I see it all the time, even when bands refer to themselves.  They're talk about their upcoming album saying its the hardest thing they've every wrote, and I listen to it and it's totally not.  Obviously we all (or at least I do) have very different ways of describing what "hard" is.  For me is combination of all instruments (including vocal style and lyrics) communicating a level of "furiosity".

Also, on topic, I listen to WAAY too much to list, and I mostly don't listen to metal metal, it's mostly the offshoots that have already received criticism.

The reality is that I don't really listen to a band is they are a vanilla flavoured genre (ie, not straight up metal), it has to be a genre bender for me to like them in most cases. Metal or otherwise.