Nu-metal Appresh

if i went back and listened to LD50, id probably still think it was a pretty good album. same with the first two slipknot LPs. those nothingface albums through violence were pretty heavy too. deftones have been removed from nu-metal for over a decade, so i dont think even think of them as that type of a band anymore but everything they've ever done has been literally perfect. beyond that - no thanks.

I think I might be older than most of you guys and so I clearly remeber when the first couple of bands came to scene and this whole thing still didn't had a name but Headbangers Ball played Blind by Korn every week.

Kerrang was also pushing Korn quite a lot and I think at some point during '95 and '96 they were actually bigger in the UK than USA. I was into their first couple of records and remember hearing the first Deftones and thinking 'Shit yeah, finally the missing link between Helmet and Faith No More is here'. At that time Incubus was just a Mr Bungle/FNM clone to everyone and they toured with Sugar Ray in shitty bars before both bands became huge. 

A little later I saw Linkin Park open for the Deftones and I remember being absolutely unimpressed.

It was good for a couple of years but as soon as Slipknot and Coal Chamber kicked in I realized the whole thing was doomed to the flames of ridiculization for all eternities.

if i went back and listened to LD50, id probably still think it was a pretty good album. same with the first two slipknot LPs. those nothingface albums through violence were pretty heavy too. deftones have been removed from nu-metal for over a decade, so i dont think even think of them as that type of a band anymore but everything they've ever done has been literally perfect. beyond that - no thanks.

This!  Well said, dude...

• 2 months later...

I have never seen it before at any record store. The POD album had some kind of fairy looking thing on the cover, and they also had Machine Head The Burning Red which is kind of surprising. I think there was a Godsmack record and some Ozzy represses in there, too. And what appeared to be a terribly warped copy of Helmet Monochrome.

• 3 weeks later...

god damn, i listened to an embarrassing amount of Nu Metal in Jr High and High School. Mudvayne, Sevendust, Slipknot, Staind, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Spineshank, Orgy, a bunch of obscure ones, and i think my favorite band was Nothingface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5Rd-fSe8g

*waves a huge flag of shame

Mushroomhead have always been a personal favorite of mine. Everything from their self titled to XIII is fucking awesome. Once Jason left the band and they replaced him....not impressed.

you should check out The Alter Boys. It's Jason w/ dudes from Dog Fashion Disco and Ryan Dunn (sort of).

That album is so so so good, still. Silly, kinda nonsensical and amazing. plus a righteous Tom Waits cover.

god damn, i listened to an embarrassing amount of Nu Metal in Jr High and High School. Mudvayne, Sevendust, Slipknot, Staind, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Spineshank, Orgy, a bunch of obscure ones, and i think my favorite band was Nothingface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5Rd-fSe8g

*waves a huge flag of shame

No shame here, I still love Nothingface.  Brutal lyrics and crunching guitars.  Those guys never got the appreciate they deserved in that era.  I saw them open for Coal Chamber and they killed the show. 

you should check out The Alter Boys. It's Jason w/ dudes from Dog Fashion Disco and Ryan Dunn (sort of).

That album is so so so good, still. Silly, kinda nonsensical and amazing. plus a righteous Tom Waits cover.

Yeah I was really into them when they finally released their album. Popson has been in so many good bands on and off over the years. (216), Unified Culture, State Of Conviction, In Cold Blood, Pitch Black Forecast just to name a few ha