RAFFLE: Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3

thefence2113

I just don't see the fundamental link between raffles and charity. Are we suppose to donate to charity every time we make money? Obviously not. So why does this particular form of profiting require some altruism? It just seems really arbitrary to say this guy has to donate to charity but not any other member who sells a bunch of records making profit.

That's what the raffling started for. To make an excess amount of money so that a portion of it can benefit more than just the seller, and at the same time allow people to get an expensive item for a comparatively small amount to what it would be otherwise. It's a win win.  I really don't know what to tell you if you don't already see the issue with this. Sorry.

I don't understand what the big deal is. This seems to be a personal issue or something. It's totally cool if I post this on eBay and make $350+ off one person, but when I offer a cheap chance for somebody to own it, I catch shit. Makes no sense to me. I'd like to reiterate though. This raffle wasn't my idea. People asked for it and said if I decided to, they'd be on board. I don't have to justify profits from this with a charity. I have a wife and son of my own. That's contribution for me.

i never said i was against it. i was flamed personally when i mentioned the idea of doing this very thing, and i was just surprised to see the very opposite happen here with someone who isnt as invested in the community.

That wasn't directed at you, Ry. I didn't know you ever caught any shit for your raffle. Regardless, you especially shouldn't have. I just hate when people think it's their duty on earth to get on someone's thread and bash it when they don't even intend on participating. I don't know what they expect to achieve. I haven't forced anyone against their will to buy chances from me. It's just out there for whomever wants to join in. 

I don't understand what the big deal is. This seems to be a personal issue or something. It's totally cool if I post this on eBay and make $350+ off one person, but when I offer a cheap chance for somebody to own it, I catch shit. Makes no sense to me. I'd like to reiterate though. This raffle wasn't my idea. People asked for it and said if I decided to, they'd be on board. I don't have to justify profits from this with a charity. I have a wife and son of my own. That's contribution for me.

I have a family, too, but just outright sell my shit. I don't try to hide my lack of altruism behind a veil of not caring how much shit gets me. Give someone a deal, but unless you're using the money for something besides lining your paypal account, then just take it to ebay. Are those sellers fees really going to fuck you that hard? You'd pull in roughly $400 on a single piece. Seriously?

That wasn't directed at you, Ry. I didn't know you ever caught any shit for your raffle. Regardless, you especially shouldn't have. I just hate when people think it's their duty on earth to get on someone's thread and bash it when they don't even intend on participating. I don't know what they expect to achieve. I haven't forced anyone against their will to buy chances from me. It's just out there for whomever wants to join in. 

Do I feel it's my duty to "bash" this? Not quite. Look, I'm not the most standup guy here. I flip things, and a lot of times, I buy things when I shouldn't. I do have standards for myself, though. Taking money from people when they're not getting anything in return (and yes, the feeling you get when even a portion of proceeds to a good cause qualifies as giving something) isn't one of those things I feel falls in line with that. I don't do this raffle stuff myself because one: anything that would warrant a raffle, I don't want to give up; two: if I were to give up something, it's cause I need all the money I can get immediately, and couldn't afford to just give any portion of it away; three: I'd feel like a fucking asshole if people gave me a hundred fucking dollars and got NOTHING in return. If people are fine plunking down $50 just for a chance at owning a record, that's great. That's their deal. good on them for being in a spot where they can gamble like that. But that they're not even getting the satisfaction of knowing that at least SOME of the money will go toward a sick pet's vet bill or someone else's kid's Christmas presents, or fucking Sandy relief or the goddamn Red Cross just really fucking bugs me, and it should bug everyone else.

But whatever. Do what you want. No one can stop you. But know that there are those who think you're being a scumbag. This was a tool for good. Not whatever this is.

I don't think it's fair to hate him for selling the record in a raffle format. It's a fun idea and it gives somebody like me the chance to pay $5 for a chance to own this great record. In the original thread, many members were behind the idea. I also don't think it's fair to try to make somebody guilty for simply making money. Obviously he is trying to receive money for the record and why shouldn't he?

As far as charitable contributions go, many people privately contribute to charities of their choice so don't be a jerk if somebody isn't running a raffle and giving the proceeds to your favorite charity.

The only thing that I don't like is seeing that one of the people that bought 10 tickets just joined basically when the raffle idea came about...sketchy

If he wants to simply try to make money, ebay is clearly the easiest option. He'll get his money.

Indeed they do. I don't why you need to bring this up. Also, I don't make enough money to have a "favorite charity," but thanks.

This whole thing just screams sketchy, I don't know why you single out that one thing.

Ry,

I think its different for you because you already donated to charity with a rare record. I wouldn't have a problem with you then raffling one off at all for your own. You've done both. I mean people can do whatever they want, but I have far more respect for you because you've done it both ways.

He he Both Ways. 

If he wants to simply try to make money, ebay is clearly the easiest option. He'll get his money.

Indeed they do. I don't why you need to bring this up. Also, I don't make enough money to have a "favorite charity," but thanks.

This whole thing just screams sketchy, I don't know why you single out that one thing.

He knows that he will get his money on Ebay but decided to indulge those who supported the raffle. There is something wrong with this?

Why did I bring up the charity? Because there was clearly a debate about the link between raffles and charities. My post was not at all directed at you and I'm sorry if using the word "your" caused any confusion as you seem to be taking my point personally. It was meant to be a general post contributing to the discussion. I apologize for that.

I singled out that one thing because it was the sketchiest thing I noticed. I'm only explaining this because you seemed interested in the reason that I did so.

I just went back and read some posts in this thread, including all of yours...Maybe you should start a new thread if you want to keep preaching? Also, you don't even like Coheed so you aren't contributing much in this particular thread.

guy can't win. bashed for trying to sell it, bashed for taking their advice.

I love raffles but that kinda thing really is more for charity bc in the end ya you didn't win, but at least someone's dog got a vet visit paid or a sick person got some dough to do something nice or just a nice check to a honest place that needs it and that feels good.

Now if you lose, you're just fucked. you have two guys with under 50 posts that are pretty much cleaning house with this raffle which we probably wont see again in a few months and you have at least 100 bucks.

If you really just wanted cash but not totally rape, you coulda just said. Ok guys open auction. Post what'd youd pay for this in the replies and after a few days the person with the highest $ number that is being fair gets it. But Then again I'm sure someone will find that fucked up or unethical so don't listen to me.

When I woke up this morning, I had no idea I'd walk into a thread and agree with viewpoints being put out by idreamofpunk.

it's a new day, indeed!

that the OP is willing to siphon upwards of $100 off of each person willing to throw in on this should give the more sensible of us a reasonable indication of what's going on, here.

Lol. Coheed fans >>>>> EVERYONE ELSE'S OPINIONS

I was just pointing out the obvious. I don't see a problem in suggesting that if somebody wants to derail a thread to maybe start their own thread? I have absolutely nothing against idreamofpunk and I would probably participate in that thread. 

Also, I'm a fan of A LOT more than just Coheed, including Circa Survive (in your profile pic) and hundreds of other bands. Sarcastically attacking an entire group of a band's fans on an internet forum is simply not cool...I wonder what you would have said if I had chosen a Circa Survive album cover as my profile pic.

Okay, so I've now been called a scumbag and sketchy over something I started that was requested in another thread. I don't think I deserve that. No one ever forced anybody to bid. Hell, to be honest I never even had intentions of selling this at all...but a bunch of people asked so I started the raffle. Now I'm being made to look like some huge asshole because my dog isn't sick or something. Regardless, I'll be giving out refunds when I get off work and canceling the raffle. Some jackasses just can't let other people have fun.

Of course you don't think you deserve that. You're the one being a scumbag.

The raffles here on VC began as a way to give money to charity with the added bonus of possibly winning a prize. Not just to line some asshole's pockets. Oh and guess what? I have a wife and kid too. If I have to start selling my records and use them as my excuse for doing so I certainly wouldn't be gambling with my potential profits.

You're also asking for the money to be sent as a gift, which then provides no recourse to the winner if you decide not to part with your item and nothing is ever received (hence the claim of you being sketchy as well).

Okay, so I've now been called a scumbag and sketchy over something I started that was requested in another thread. I don't think I deserve that. No one ever forced anybody to bid. Hell, to be honest I never even had intentions of selling this at all...but a bunch of people asked so I started the raffle. Now I'm being made to look like some huge asshole because my dog isn't sick or something. Regardless, I'll be giving out refunds when I get off work and canceling the raffle. Some jackasses just can't let other people have fun.

not taking sides in this whole debate, or even interested in participating in the raffle, but why would you cancel it because some people disagree?  

not taking sides in this whole debate, or even interested in participating in the raffle, but why would you cancel it because some people disagree?  

lol.. just like the guy offering his turn table last month.

he took irrational offense to ONE comment, and called it all off.