SUCK IT ALABAMA!

but f'real, Rainbow City is your real issue.  B-Ham has decent shit going on....parts of Mobile have decent shit going on........the rest is, pretty much like you described it.  my part of B-Ham is pretty rad and progresssive, but it's a tiny little pocket for certain.

Yeah, I like the art museum in B-ham and I've done a few things there.  I work in Anniston, and the people aren't the greatest here either.  I used to work in Birmingham and I would see alot of shitty people/customers though.  I once had to chase an old white guy out of my store for using the N word.

I think what astounds me about living here is the ignorance of the people that are around me.  I overheard a conversation some coworkers were having about gay men the other day and I was disgusted.  They were talking about them like they were some kind of otherworldly, inhuman creatures.  The conversation basically went like this "Well I heard they did this, and this, isn't that weird?  etc etc"  you get the picture.  Also, in my old office here, there was a prank where they had this bogus excel with a picture of a shirtless Eric Estrada saying "You're a fag" as a caption.  I was pretty offended, but I didn't say anything. 

On a side note, in my last 3 weeks of work I'm half tempted to put a picture of some dude on my desk and tell them he's my fiance.  All I've ever told them is her name is Alex, and you know, that's a dudes name too.  The only reason I'm not going to is because I need somebody here to give me a good recomendation for a future job, and I feel like that would blow my shot at it.

Oh and people here are equally ignorant about music.  For example, people in the office were talking about music, and I got this comment from a black coworker "You're white and you don't listen to country!?"  Also, one day I forgot to bring my headphones.  I was listening to The Flatliners at a reasonable volume at my desk and a coworker said to me "We listen to everything in this office, even that HEAVY METAL music."  ugh...

Oh and people here are equally ignorant about music.  For example, people in the office were talking about music, and I got this comment from a black coworker "You're white and you don't listen to country!?"  Also, one day I forgot to bring my headphones.  I was listening to The Flatliners at a reasonable volume at my desk and a coworker said to me "We listen to everything in this office, even that HEAVY METAL music."  ugh...

THE HORROR

Yeah, I like the art museum in B-ham and I've done a few things there.  I work in Anniston, and the people aren't the greatest here either.  I used to work in Birmingham and I would see alot of shitty people/customers though.  I once had to chase an old white guy out of my store for using the N word.

I think what astounds me about living here is the ignorance of the people that are around me.  I overheard a conversation some coworkers were having about gay men the other day and I was disgusted.  They were talking about them like they were some kind of otherworldly, inhuman creatures.  The conversation basically went like this "Well I heard they did this, and this, isn't that weird?  etc etc"  you get the picture.  Also, in my old office here, there was a prank where they had this bogus excel with a picture of a shirtless Eric Estrada saying "You're a fag" as a caption.  I was pretty offended, but I didn't say anything. 

On a side note, in my last 3 weeks of work I'm half tempted to put a picture of some dude on my desk and tell them he's my fiance.  All I've ever told them is her name is Alex, and you know, that's a dudes name too.  The only reason I'm not going to is because I need somebody here to give me a good recomendation for a future job, and I feel like that would blow my shot at it.

image.png

meh......i just let that bullshit slide off my shoulders at this point, lived in Alabama for damn year 30 years, I'm well aware of how ass-backwards everybody but me and a handful of others are.  It's far more fun to make fun of them to their face and show them how ignorant they are.  It happens every time I visit my family in Huntsville.  

and did a read a "Hate The Tide" from New Jersey?   I'll raise you a Roll Tide sir, fucking looooooove me some haters.

meh......i just let that bullshit slide off my shoulders at this point, lived in Alabama for damn year 30 years, I'm well aware of how ass-backwards everybody but me and a handful of others are.  It's far more fun to make fun of them to their face and show them how ignorant they are.  It happens every time I visit my family in Huntsville.  

and did a read a "Hate The Tide" from New Jersey?   I'll raise you a Roll Tide sir, fucking looooooove me some haters.

See, I guess that's my problem.  It's just too hard for me to ignore it.  At work I pretty much isolate myself from everybody.  People probably think I'm some kind of anti-social recluse.  Sometimes I get the courage to talk to people, but then they start talking about guns or football and I just stop trying.  I'm kinda at the point now where I just like "fuck it, I'm moving I don't need friends now".

eh, Brett, i can't blame the guy, it took me most of my waking life to come to terms with this damn place and it's people....it gets frustrating as fuck, but I don't let it get me down.   The food here in Birmingham is incredible, so many talented musicians and artists, lack of pretension, the scene here in Birmingham is fucking great.....outside of Birmingham though.....meh....not-so-much.  dude going to Auburn...enjoy the pollen/allergies, if you're straight and single, there's plenty of eye-candy (just try not to hear them talk)