Help! I need your tried and true weightloss solutions

My co-worker gave me some lipozene, so I'm trying that in addition to cardio/healthy eating. It's only been a couple days, but I feel better already. I see this going somewhere.

Always read up on any drug before you use it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipozene

Seems pretty safe. From what I read, it's basically just fiber. I hope you don't pay a lot for it cause the study they describe in there seems to indicate that it performs no better than your normal fiber supplement you could get at the grocery store for a few dollars. Drink a lot of water with it. It's pretty hard to have too much fiber in your diet, though, so go for it!

Your priority shouldn't be quick results, it should be lasting results. Any changes you make should be simple enough that you can keep them up indefinitely. I lost ~80lbs (250->165) a few years ago, and have kept it off with very little "effort", I've just changed the way that I approach different situations and activities in life. Eating healthy may suck at first, especially when you've got other options out at a restaurant, but it beats the shit out of being fat.

Things that worked for me:

• Cardio - tons of it. Started almost exclusively with cardio, then began more weight training once I was comfortable with where I stood as far as weight loss went.
  • Eating healthier - so much easier than I ever would've expected. I grew up as picky as could be, and would eat a cheeseburger for any meal, no matter where I was. Nowadays, I won't even eat beef! I tried to substitute as many foods as I could, rather than just eliminating them altogether. Baked over fried, light meat over dark meat, whole grains over white starches, etc. A bunch of small changes add up rather quickly.
  • Portion control - one of the easiest and most effective changes I made was portioning out my meals and snacks in particular. A few years ago, I could've easily killed an entire box of Wheat Thins in a sitting, and still manage to eat dinner just fine. Now, I read labels religiously, and have really strived to keep an eye on not only what I'm putting into my body, but also how much of it. People tend to overestimate portion size, and underestimate their calorie intake, so I went out of my way to make sure I wasn't.

Things that didn't work for me:

• "Cheat days" - I think a lot of people abuse such days in their diet, and end up bingeing on junk food, erasing their week's worth of progress.
  • Diet programs - I couldn't find a single plan that I could really buy into. I found that making my own small changes was much simpler and more effective, though if you have a hard time with self control and holding yourself accountable, perhaps a simple program or regimen may be beneficial.
  • Supplements - I just never saw the need. Nothing ever convinced me of its legitimacy as far as weight loss supplements go, and I managed just fine without any.

In regards to the college talk above, contrary to what some others have said, I personally found it MUCH easier to eat healthy and be active when I moved out of my parent's place and on my own. If I know something is shit for me, and I shouldn't be eating it, I won't buy it. Simple as that. It's much easier to say "no" to a box of Oreos at the grocery store than it is when they're staring you down from the pantry. My school also had a number of healthy options to choose from, so there were salad bars and wrap stands, etc. that helped me get by when I was living on campus and had limited food prep/storage space.

Once I got my own place, and had a full fridge, it became a cake walk. Fresh produce can get expensive, but I found a local food club type thing that'll give me 60lbs of assorted vegetables every week for a flat $10 donation. It's not bad or expired or anything, it's just surplus, and it's fucking awesome. There's similar sorts of organizations all over the place, just have to keep your eyes peeled.

It's late, so sorry if none of that made sense.

This was a good post. 

Portion control, healthy snacking and exercise are my personal keys. It will of course vary by individual. I start Monday of every week off by going to the grocery by my office and buying a big thing of SuperFood juice and a bunch of bananas and some Apples. I keep the fruit by my desk and when I'm snackish I grab one. Make being healthy convenient for you. I had a marketing problem in that I'd make it easier to grab the chocolate in the back or the chips from someones lunch. I love Superfood since it is a bit filling and I think it tastes great. It's also easy to break the bank trying to be healthy so hitting the grocery and stocking up for the week adds that convenience while saving some cash. 

Sounds like you are making some changes. It all takes work so hopefully you find you enjoy it. Don't hit the scale for a good couple of weeks. So much of sticking with it is about the mental game of seeing results so don't set yourself up to fail by reading too much into an early weigh in. And don't let a week in the middle where you see no loss throw you off - we all have a week or two like that. As I've added muscle I've seen my weight go up slightly and it at times feels discouraging but I see how easily I'm hitting 4-5 miles on the treadmill without getting winded and how my pants don't fit like they used to and I know the results are adding up. 

A lot of guys I work with have lost weight doing an ECA stack (ephedrine, caffeine and asprin,) which might be similar to what you take thebiglebowski. 

I'm going to do a bit more research on it but I think I might try it during the summer and see how it works for me.

Same thing. Definitely read up. I have read that the aspirin helps and also that it is unnecessary. I just take half a baby aspirin with it (so kinda split the difference). Drink lots of water, don't do anything that really gets your heart rate really pumping (I hit the elliptical today, but at more of a jog pace than a sprint), and don't take it and go out all day in 100 degree heat. People have reportedly died from that (hard to say 100% it was the drug but they had it in their system at the time, so it likely was a contributing factor).

But if you are smart, it is safe. Thousands and thousands of people do it and don't end up in the hospital.

Unfortunately, the FDA had to ban it in over the counter supplements because people pretty much think that if it is over the counter, it can't hurt them (so 300 pound linemen take it and go out in 100 degree heat for training camp and keel over).

If it was REALLY dangerous, it wouldn't be available as easily as it is.

Your priority shouldn't be quick results, it should be lasting results. Any changes you make should be simple enough that you can keep them up indefinitely. I lost ~80lbs (250->165) a few years ago, and have kept it off with very little "effort", I've just changed the way that I approach different situations and activities in life. Eating healthy may suck at first, especially when you've got other options out at a restaurant, but it beats the shit out of being fat.

Things that worked for me:

• Cardio - tons of it. Started almost exclusively with cardio, then began more weight training once I was comfortable with where I stood as far as weight loss went.
  • Eating healthier - so much easier than I ever would've expected. I grew up as picky as could be, and would eat a cheeseburger for any meal, no matter where I was. Nowadays, I won't even eat beef! I tried to substitute as many foods as I could, rather than just eliminating them altogether. Baked over fried, light meat over dark meat, whole grains over white starches, etc. A bunch of small changes add up rather quickly.
  • Portion control - one of the easiest and most effective changes I made was portioning out my meals and snacks in particular. A few years ago, I could've easily killed an entire box of Wheat Thins in a sitting, and still manage to eat dinner just fine. Now, I read labels religiously, and have really strived to keep an eye on not only what I'm putting into my body, but also how much of it. People tend to overestimate portion size, and underestimate their calorie intake, so I went out of my way to make sure I wasn't.

Things that didn't work for me:

• "Cheat days" - I think a lot of people abuse such days in their diet, and end up bingeing on junk food, erasing their week's worth of progress.
  • Diet programs - I couldn't find a single plan that I could really buy into. I found that making my own small changes was much simpler and more effective, though if you have a hard time with self control and holding yourself accountable, perhaps a simple program or regimen may be beneficial.
  • Supplements - I just never saw the need. Nothing ever convinced me of its legitimacy as far as weight loss supplements go, and I managed just fine without any.

In regards to the college talk above, contrary to what some others have said, I personally found it MUCH easier to eat healthy and be active when I moved out of my parent's place and on my own. If I know something is shit for me, and I shouldn't be eating it, I won't buy it. Simple as that. It's much easier to say "no" to a box of Oreos at the grocery store than it is when they're staring you down from the pantry. My school also had a number of healthy options to choose from, so there were salad bars and wrap stands, etc. that helped me get by when I was living on campus and had limited food prep/storage space.

Once I got my own place, and had a full fridge, it became a cake walk. Fresh produce can get expensive, but I found a local food club type thing that'll give me 60lbs of assorted vegetables every week for a flat $10 donation. It's not bad or expired or anything, it's just surplus, and it's fucking awesome. There's similar sorts of organizations all over the place, just have to keep your eyes peeled.

It's late, so sorry if none of that made sense.

This is a really awesome post, like Dave said.  I would totally suggest everyone join a Community Supported Agriculture or food club like you said and support your local farmer! You can't go wrong with tons of veggies (unless its corn/potatoes).

Also, calories in/out may work for some people, but it's not as simple as that.  Don't get me wrong it has some validity and will definitely work, especially for those who have never really dieted in the past.  But it is not that simple, especially when you have people that have yo-yo-ed.  Eventually calorie counting can lose its effectiveness.  Although there are a lot of people losing/gaining weight each year, there are tons that maintain their weight relatively easy; some people who eat way more calories than they expend and don't gain weight.  

There are other factors that come into play, or then what the whole calories in/out simple equation has to point to the fact that 2/3 of America is either too stupid or lacks the will power to follow this.  Maybe true, but doubtful.

We use indirectly calorimetry in the hospital to measure people's "calorie needs."  It's supposedly the "gold standard."  Even when we feed trauma/burn patients 500 calories (and the appropriate amount of protein) over what it estimates, they will still lose weight.  

All I am saying is, if you try calorie counting and it stops being effective, it's not the end all.   

Also, about the whey protein thing, I can't get any of the electric copies of the articles I read at the hospital, they are still actually being conducted, I was just reading updates from the researchers.  Maybe what I said was biased, hoping they find they spike your insulin, just because I have seen a lot of people trying to lose weight, drinking protein shakes, and when we take them out, they lose weight.

I don't know too much about sports nutrition/weight training/body building, so if they work for you, then more power too you and them.

Hey jess, or anyone really. whats the deal with 'starvation mode'. I see people going off on this all over the internet. "If you don't eat enough calories, your body goes into starvation mode and you will gain weight" ect ect.

another suggestion for cardio stuff is to get a pedometer to keep in yr pocket and forget about until the end of each day. It's said that humans need to average 10,000 steps - 5 miles - on the daily. I've recently started up with a pedometer and a 1500 calorie diet and I've already seen some small results (by the way, all the folks on here who use My Fitness should friend each ofher; just got the app yesterday after years of using Sparkpeople. Username: AsianVinyl)

I don't think 10k in steps on the daily is essential (I've been averaging about 8k), but it definitely gives you a real number to put with yr exercise much in the same way as when counting calories.

so, hows the last week been working out for you?

I'm glad you asked. I am using MyFitnessPal, and I am eating so healthy it's scary. I'm using the NA motto 'Just for today' even though this is a forever lifestyle change.  Right now it's easy. One thing is hard though.  I can find a million excuses not to exercise at home. I keep telling myself that I will do it in an hour, and then another. I am going to join the gym tomorrow. I haven't even considered weighing myself. I have always been the type to care more about how my clothes fit, so maybe in a month I will weigh in.

I lost 18 pounds in about 2-3 months by working out and not drinking soda. I would run every other day. 3 minutes doing a brisk walk and 1 minute sprinting, on and off for 30 minutes. It seems to have worked. I was only 165 at 5'8" so 18 pounds is pretty damn good considering I don't have much left to lose.

I'm glad you asked. I am using MyFitnessPal, and I am eating so healthy it's scary. I'm using the NA motto 'Just for today' even though this is a forever lifestyle change.  Right now it's easy. One thing is hard though.  I can find a million excuses not to exercise at home. I keep telling myself that I will do it in an hour, and then another. I am going to join the gym tomorrow. I haven't even considered weighing myself. I have always been the type to care more about how my clothes fit, so maybe in a month I will weigh in.

Assuming you will be doing mostly cardio. You want to be at 60% of your max. You should break a sweat but not be dieing for breath. Look at the calorie counter after doing an hour at 60% vs. burning yourself out in a half hour at 80-90%. You will burn way more in the hour. Really high intensity work outs are for athletic training, not long term fat loss. You want to be able to get out of bed the next day and do it again, not feel like you got hit by a car.

Since you are a little older than the average mid-20s crowd around here, you almost certainly want to take a glucosamine supplement. They sell it at the drug / grocery store. There are no negative side effects (I believe there is some shellfish allergy potential though FYI). Glucosamine is the standard supplement for helping joints to function pain free.

I almost always exercise at home but the key for me was that I do it in the morning and I put it above everything that isn't pressing at the moment (schoolwork, cleaning, errands, etc...). Whatever works for you, though. If you do buy anything for home, you should be able to find something nice on Craigslist for 1/3 retail price. People can spend their money however they want but I find it foolish to buy exercise equipment from a store (maybe except in the case of a huge sale, like Black Friday stuff).

I have a pretty set schedule for the most part (school from 8-12, work from 1215-915), so I'm gonna try to be more effective at time management, somewhere in there I know I can fit a daily workout from home.  I don't think I want to invest in anything as intense as P90x though.  Maybe yoga or something.  I've done weight training in the past, and it's just not for me.  I'm a small guy (aside from my giant stature of course) and it's nearly impossible for me to gain muscle.  I'm alright with that, as I don't plan on lifting a car anytime soon. 

I'm a small guy (aside from my giant stature of course) and it's nearly impossible for me to gain muscle. 

For 99% of people this is because you are not eating right (more precisely, eating enough) or exercising the right way. The other 1% of people would have some kind of medical condition (like a glandular / hormone issue).

It's about what you are happy with though so if you are happy, then cool.

Guess who lost 11 pounds? I met with a personal trainer today, and she did a run down of my overall health. We did a high intensity work-out and I thought I was going to die, but I did it. I also threw up afterwards. I'm gonna meet with her every other week, because that's what I can afford atm. So far, so fun.

Guess who lost 11 pounds? I met with a personal trainer today, and she did a run down of my overall health. We did a high intensity work-out and I thought I was going to die, but I did it. I also threw up afterwards. I'm gonna meet with her every other week, because that's what I can afford atm. So far, so fun.

Nice work. I wouldn't commit to anything long term (I think they try and lock you into this). Eventually you won't need it. But if it's helping you get the wheels rolling, worth it for sure!