Chuck Ragan: Where to Start?

This board LOVES Chuck Ragan. Everything about him, you guys love him. Admit it. 

I know this to be true, because I searched for a similar topic and found about four thousand Chuck Ragan topics, just none regarding what I'm looking for. 

I attended a panel discussion at SXSW with Chuck, Austin Lucas, Matt Pryor, Frank Turner, and Chris Shifflett, and Chuck just seemed like such a cool dude, I wish I liked his music more. 

So for all you Chuck Ragan/HWM fans, please help me with some songs that will help me enjoy this dude more. So far I've had a hard time. 

K thanks. 

my suggestion is dont just start with the newest revival tour records, start from the start, hear him progress from solo into a group

I actually think the newer stuff is better so I would start with that (to increase the chances of it sticking).

When he started out, the songs were a lot more guitar based. Newer stuff has a lot more emphasis on the violin and stuff, which I like. The songs are fuller.

It's hard for me to understand because I love everything he writes. I'd say that some Chuck Ragan is better than none if you don't like the early stuff. Maybe it will grow on you.

As far as HWM, I'm probably bucking the trend of the diehard fans but I generally think that the newer the better. This was one of my favorite songs of last year:

I would start with Hot Water Music "Caution", listen to it from beginning to the end, you won't regret it.  From there, move to his first solo record "Feast or Famine".  

Nice dude, I opened for him about a year ago and it was almost impossible to not turn into a fan boy.  He stood at the front, tapped his foot and asked for a CD after.  He high fived me and it blew my mind.  

I would start with Hot Water Music "Caution", listen to it from beginning to the end, you won't regret it.  From there, move to his first solo record "Feast or Famine".  

Nice dude, I opened for him about a year ago and it was almost impossible to not turn into a fan boy.  He stood at the front, tapped his foot and asked for a CD after.  He high fived me and it blew my mind.  

yea his personality after this panel thing almost made me feel guilty for not being a super fan. 

As for HWM I'd find Eating the Filler first. It is the song that defined the new sound they were developing. Fuel for the Hate Game is their best LP but I'm partial since I lived in G'ville at that time and it is largely about that moment. Caution and Forever and Counting (Three Summers Strong anyone?) are dynamic. Flight and a Crash is a fine album

Finding the Rhythms is their first LP and it is that somewhat raw quality that I adore. It is a collection and has Eating the Filler, Floor and Arms Can't Stretch. I love music that offers potential. This and Fuel are so damn influential that they'll make the mid to late 90s make a ton more sense.

I met him at warped tour this past summer. I was the only person to show up to a signing so I basically hung out with him and Joe Ginsberg for like 20 minutes. I love his music, but he is a great guy as well. That must have been cool to play with him!

As for HWM I'd find Eating the Filler first. It is the song that defined the new sound they were developing. Fuel for the Hate Game is their best LP but I'm partial since I lived in G'ville at that time and it is largely about that moment. Caution and Forever and Counting (Three Summers Strong anyone?) are dynamic. Flight and a Crash is a fine album

Finding the Rhythms is their first LP and it is that somewhat raw quality that I adore. It is a collection and has Eating the Filler, Floor and Arms Can't Stretch. I love music that offers potential. This and Fuel are so damn influential that they'll make the mid to late 90s make a ton more sense.

I have to agree with all of this 110%.  also, if you like ragans raw solo stuff from the blueprint sessions, and love old HWM sound, make sure you check out him and wollard's solo jam in rumbleseat.  

just don't say you lost it did it for me way back when i was young and beardless.  that and rooftops.  something anthemic about 'em.  i've never really disliked a thing the dude's done since.

in fact, you can't really go wrong, it's just an intimidating catalogue.  you need to systematically take it apart one piece at a time.  have a method, though.  go early -> recent, or recent -> early, or by label, or something.  his discography makes sense.

Chuck is cool. When I was active with Free Radio Gainesville HWM always played benefits for us - oh shit, No Division is a fine LP and I always get chills from that song. When he was married to Sam they'd have bonfires in their yard and good times were had often. You have me feeling super nostalgic for the mid-90s and my days as a radio pirate all of a sudden. 

• 1 year later...