As a new Vinyl collector: new vs. used

So what you're saying is that there's no purpose to this website? I could Google literally every piece of information on this site. I often do if I don't want to endure harassment from the very people who make VC worth existing.

He's asking this question because he doesn't have other local friends who collect and doesn't want to ask the [most likely] pricks who work at his local record store, if he even has one. Luckily, he found a community of humans to talk with instead of a list of search results.

Yeah buddy. Been wanting to get that out in an appropriate thread for awhile.

i like you. agree to disagree. differing opinions.

i'm leaving this thread before drama bombs go off. bye guys!

I am quite surprised at many of the hostile responses, seeing as there is a difference to new vinyl and old vinyl. Newer vinyl (newer pressings) most of the time has a bit worse sound than older ones. If you are not an audiophile then it really does not matter, if you like vinyl, you buy vinyl. 

Yes, and this is why this is an important thread.

Who here has been burned by buying a new reissue when they first started buying records, and then some time later get the original and notice that the reissue sounds like utter crap?

I have some examples from my own collection:

1. all 2012 Rhino colored reissues of Misfits Walk Among Us. They have the same matrix etchings the 2009 reissues, which sound much better. However, the 2009 are crappy compared to the 1988 reissues, which are available at a decent price (less than the 2012s) and better made than the 1982 copies.

2. Rhino's Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction. Boring flat, compressed.

3. Rhino's 2005(?) Ramones reissues of their first 5 LPs on 180g and red vinyl.

4. 2009 Green Day reissues, especially Insomniac. Compressed sound. Unfortunately, the recent Hot Topic reissue on blue vinyl used the same stamper and sounds like utter crap. Get the original for a good sounding album. Get the reissue if you just want to look at something pretty and colored.

yeah!

he's right. i have nothing better to do.

yeah! this too!

basically guys. if you have a vinyl related question. assume it has been discussed on these boards. use the search function. read an old thread, educate yourself. still have a question? bump that old thread.

"vinyl enthusiasts" are popping up everyday, it's the new cool thing to do i guess. so new members are popping up often posting the same questions & threads. so, yeah, peeps are gonna get dicky. myself included. common questions that could be answered with a simple google search, should be answered via that google search.

it's not an elitist thing, i consider it a common sense thing. last year i wanted to stretch my ears. didn't know 2 dicks about the stretching process, healing times, what to expect, how to know if i've damaged my ears, what to do if i did.... so i found a message board specializing in body mod, lurked it for 2 weeks, any questions i had, they had answers to already in existing threads. didn't even need to join those boards or post at all. in my mind, this is how ALL message boards should be approached. lurk, lurk, lurk, join in on the action when you're ready. gives you a chance to see if that's a website you'll actually check often or if it was a fleeting interest.

You do seriously think that a forum placed on the world wide Web should have a filter for things that are already out there? Why do we have the sell / trade sub forum? (because we'd rather trade in a community than to random strangers.) I do agree on that it is a smart solution to just use the search function. But he didn't. Worst thing is people who are tired of these threads read the title, enter the thread read and act like assholes. THEN act all anal when people tell them to stop being such Douchebags.

yeah!

he's right. i have nothing better to do.

yeah! this too!

basically guys. if you have a vinyl related question. assume it has been discussed on these boards. use the search function. read an old thread, educate yourself. still have a question? bump that old thread.

"vinyl enthusiasts" are popping up everyday, it's the new cool thing to do i guess. so new members are popping up often posting the same questions & threads. so, yeah, peeps are gonna get dicky. myself included. common questions that could be answered with a simple google search, should be answered via that google search.

it's not an elitist thing, i consider it a common sense thing. last year i wanted to stretch my ears. didn't know 2 dicks about the stretching process, healing times, what to expect, how to know if i've damaged my ears, what to do if i did.... so i found a message board specializing in body mod, lurked it for 2 weeks, any questions i had, they had answers to already in existing threads. didn't even need to join those boards or post at all. in my mind, this is how ALL message boards should be approached. lurk, lurk, lurk, join in on the action when you're ready. gives you a chance to see if that's a website you'll actually check often or if it was a fleeting interest.

great post!

You do seriously think that a forum placed on the world wide Web should have a filter for things that are already out there? Why do we have the sell / trade sub forum? (because we'd rather trade in a community than to random strangers.) I do agree on that it is a smart solution to just use the search function unction. But he didn't. Worst thing is people who are tired of these threads read the title l, enter the thread read and act like assholes. THEN act all anal when people tell them to stop being such Douchebags.

In addition, 2 points:

1. This topic is not in the "New to Vinyl FAQ"

2. In my 5 years on this board, I've never seen this topic before.

it is subjective. i know some people who don't like buying used things. 

and it is a dumb question. why would there be a sound difference? if you buy a used record that was treated like garbage then its probably going to sound like garbage. if you buy a used record that was treated well then there's really no difference from buying a new album. 

Some of my previous answers were rude. Because I realize this has to be a real question I've just picked up every record at my local store so I can compare all new and used records so I can give a more accurate answer... Because there is one. It's just gonna take me a couple decades and billions of dollars. I will not rest til I've listened to every record.

Oh shit. But then they'll all be used.

Some of my previous answers were rude. Because I realize this has to be a real question I've just picked up every record at my local store so I can compare all new and used records so I can give a more accurate answer... Because there is one. It's just gonna take me a couple decades and billions of dollars. I will not rest til I've listened to every record.

Oh shit. But then they'll all be used.

Way to represent Dreamover! Great first impression for me!

i really just can't fucking stand these 10 post knuckleheads who come on here bitching about the people "who act like they run the place"

as someone who is likely to be perceived as such, here's what i'd like to say:

shut the fuck up. it's not my fault that you haven't been a part of this community long enough to recognize that about 20-30 people on here have all become quite fond of each other. we're friends. this is where we hang out, and this is where we talk nonsense, and it usually stems from our shared interest in music and our record collections.

let's say you have a friend. and you tagged along to hang out with some of their friends one night. everyone's hanging out, shooting the shit, and you say "hey! we should totally watch happy gilmore. that movie is hilarious. have you guys seen it?"

yeah. we have seen it. we watched it like 3 days ago, and frankly, we just really don't feel like it again.

now imagine that you were integrated into the circle. a few days later, billy brings his friend along. who also decides to suggest everyone watch happy gilmore. don't you think at that point you'd be groaning a bit too?

now, as someone else pointed out, this topic really has never been discussed around here before. it's not some jack coming in and asking "why does my crosley sound like shit?". but it is someone coming in and saying "why does my question sound like shit?"

Way to represent Dreamover! Great first impression for me!

Please explain the first post to me and explain how anyone can answer the question. Every single used record is different so anyone trying to answer this question looks stupid. If you think you can answer it, you're quite naive. 90% chance this is a troll thread which is up to 4 pages just like they wanted. We'll see if this new user contributes much in the future.

If this is a real question, let me define new and used for you.

New- no previous owner, no wear

Used- has had prior use

Would I buy a used shirt? Yes, if I liked it and it and it was in good condition for me to wear; no if I didn't like it or it was gross.

Would I buy a used record? ummm

Honestly.

Subjective and stupid

I have done plenty to contribute and be generous to this community so don't base one thing off of that.

The only thing subjective is your opinion. As I clearly spelled it out in my previous post, a number of today's reissues are not well made, despite their "audiophile" stickers which would mislead new consumers.

Now, can we please get back to topic? If you have a problem with this thread, just leave already. 

it is subjective. i know some people who don't like buying used things. 

and it is a dumb question. why would there be a sound difference? if you buy a used record that was treated like garbage then its probably going to sound like garbage. if you buy a used record that was treated well then there's really no difference from buying a new album. 

1. Newer pressings often reuse old stampers, leading to degradation of sound quality.

2. Newer reissues might have been digitally mastered, taking away the whole point of vinyl

3. I don't suppose you'd consider changing your signature? It's gonna give me seizure trying to respond to you.

The only thing subjective is your opinion. As I clearly spelled it out in my previous post, a number of today's reissues are not well made, despite their "audiophile" stickers which would mislead new consumers.

Now, can we please get back to topic? If you have a problem with this thread, just leave already.

Yeah. Kinda like how you won't go into a blink thread to say you don't like their music but you'll sure post about it on here.

1. Newer pressings often reuse old stampers, leading to degradation of sound quality.

2. Newer reissues might have been digitally mastered, taking away the whole point of vinyl

you say things like "often" and "might" which means you cannot give a definite answer. 

So if an answer is something like "a new record might not sound as good as the original pressing, so stay away from new pressings" then that's just as ridiculous as "new records sound better because they have no wear". 

i still don't see how this question is any different than "should i buy new cds or should i buy used cds?" it's going to depend on the condition of each used CD or if you buy cds for some other reason. 

you say things like "often" and "might" which means you cannot give a definite answer. 

So if an answer is something like "a new record might not sound as good as the original pressing, so stay away from new pressings" then that's just as ridiculous as "new records sound better because they have no wear". 

i still don't see how this question is any different than "should i buy new cds or should i buy used cds?" it's going to depend on the condition of each used CD or if you buy cds for some other reason. 

I have no problem agreeing with your logic--the point your making is decent contribution. You're just being a hard dick about it which perpetuates the idea that this is an old boys club that doesn't want new faces to show.

This site is awesome and the mods work hard to make it look good, hence the entire change from proboards to boards. Not sure why we're [you're] trying to keep it to ourselves.

So yeah, I think it's a super subjective answer but that doesn't make it a stupid question, ya know? Personally, I'd love to see more thread responses along these lines...