If you had $1.5-2k to spend on new speakers...

Toying with the idea of moving to bookshelves OR electrostatic speakers (Martin Logans have always been a want since 2002). I've had my Boston VR-3s since 2006. While they are an amazing, versatile speaker... I've had em since 2006. I want a different sound, so I figure either bookshelves or electrostatic will give me the biggest change in sound. I am not opposed to used, but would prefer newer models. Both analog and digital audio.

Equipment being used with them:

Parasound 2100 Pre

Parasound 2125 Power

Oppo 105 Universal (Sabre Dac)

Would love to buy something American. I've been leaning towards Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1s, Triad Silver Monitors (but I have Triad Gold In-Walls so... boooooring).

Figured I'd see if anyone else has something I should consider. 

If you are really after electrostats, why not get them?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+-+ElectroMotion+ESL+8%22+Floor+Speaker+%28Each%29/2074269.p?id=1218308694947&skuId=2074269

The reason I suggest BB is only because of the return policy. You can take them home, demo them in your set-up, in your room, and if you like them, keep them, if you don't you can return them for a full refund. Just be sure, after the return is processed, to look the sales guy in the face, put on some shades and say, "Thanks for the free rental!" And walk out. You could alternately say, "Thanks for the test drive, chumps." That would also work.

It has been a strong consideration. I think its more nostalgia factor than anything else. I went to a Tweeter in 2002 when I really started getting into audio and listened to some ML Claritys (I think), and was like "Welp, when I get rich I'll own these". Not that I'm rich now, but I have more than a $200 budget.

But I didn't even think about the ease of return with BB. I do have a connection there to get MLs at a good discount. B&Ws even higher discount.

I love when people just give back to the world but don't have to tell everyone about it.

And you must not have realized that people on this board think 75 dollar turntables sound good and you are asking about 2k speakers.

Goto an "audio forum"and stop trying to show off on here.

Please tell me you were wearing shades when you wrote this.

Goto an "audio forum"and stop trying to show off on here.

You see, the main people who give advice here, I value their opinion. Slinch, Kannibal, Chuck, Martin, Shaizada, all have different opinions on the subject. I've liked what they had to say before on subjects pertaining to and not to, my interests.

So. Have fun.

If youre serious about steering away from "box" speakers, there's one company I cannot get out of my head: Magnepan.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0511/magnepan_mg_1_7.htm

If you have the room, and if your electronics turn out to be a good match, you'll be in heaven.

I've been curious about Maggies for a bit. My father in law has some that he runs with some older Mc gear. Strictly music though and they sing. But, how do they match for 2 channel TV/movie audio?

I've always listened to them in a striclty "music" setup, so I have no idea. But I've never left the listening session anything les than impressed, and this goes for their entry level MMG range as well. The only reason I don't own one of their products already is the fact that my current listening room is waaay to small for any of their models. The fact that they cost almost twice the rrp here in EU doesn't help either. But it is a completely different experience to any conventional speaker design, and though it might not appeal to everyone it is definitely something you have to try. So if you get the chance, do go listen to a pair.

If you are really after electrostats, why not get them?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MartinLogan+-+ElectroMotion+ESL+8%22+Floor+Speaker+%28Each%29/2074269.p?id=1218308694947&skuId=2074269

The reason I suggest BB is only because of the return policy. You can take them home, demo them in your set-up, in your room, and if you like them, keep them, if you don't you can return them for a full refund. Just be sure, after the return is processed, to look the sales guy in the face, put on some shades and say, "Thanks for the free rental!" And walk out. You could alternately say, "Thanks for the test drive, chumps." That would also work.

Though I admittedly don't know as much as you guys about true audiophile set ups, I know these speakers sound fucking amazing in a 2 channel set up, whether it's for music or for tv/movies.  I've sold and installed these for a couple higher-end clients. MartinLogans are my dream speakers, one day I will definitely own a nice pair. 

Remember bby does price matching and the margin on speakers is insane.  If you're serious about buying a pair, they should hook you up with a really decent deal.  I definitely would.  Maybe show them this link? 

http://www.digitalcraze.com/Speakers-Subs/Floor-Standing-Speakers/Martin-Logan-4/Martin-Logan-Electromotion-Esl

Even if they don't match that price they should be able to come close to it.  Even at that price the store is still making a good amount on them (hint: it's not even close to cost).  And as kannibal mentioned, you have a two week return policy so essentially you have nothing to lose if they don't fit your fancy.

Yeah, that's more or less the price with the employee discount...  And yes there's a risk on his side he just has to be smart about it, which he either knows how to do or doesn't.  If he's been with the company a while he should have it under control.

But if those are the speakers you wanted getting a job there wouldn't really be necessary, haha

I'm by no means an audio expert, but i have these http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/bookshelf/paradigm/monitor-series-7/atom-monitor and they sound quite amazing for bookshelf speakers. They make higher end ones as well, specifically http://www.paradigm.com/products/products-by-category/bookshelf/paradigm-reference/30th-anniversary-series/inspiration and from everything I have read they are amazing. 

I've really enjoyed my Monitor Audio BX series monitors and with your budget you could look at the Gold GX50 or GX100 monitors. They have a ribbon tweeter which may help offer the type of sound you're after. The Ascends you mentioned get a lot of praise and recommendations from avsforums.com message board, but I've not personally heard them. I did receive a very prompt, professional and helpful email from the owner when I had inquired about their cmt-340 series speakers.