Fuckin' USPS' Network Distribution Centers: the thread.

I've never encountered a competent USPS worker

A bad local post office can sour your entire view of the USPS but there are some awesome offices out there.  My closest office is terrible, makes up weird rules that aren't USPS policy, and they openly argue with each other in front of customers and the office in the next town over from me is always super friendly, quick, and glad to provide advice and make sure you are taken care of.

A bad local post office can sour your entire view of the USPS but there are some awesome offices out there.  My closest office is terrible, makes up weird rules that aren't USPS policy, and they openly argue with each other in front of customers and the office in the next town over from me is always super friendly, quick, and glad to provide advice and make sure you are taken care of.

Yah, the local one by my house is fine with me. It's like 5 old ladies that move as slow as molasses, and you wait in line for a good 30 mins minimum if you're the 3rd person in line... But, they are always nice and always check for packages.

Problem is, my apt building doesn't have a front desk and packages get left outside in an unlocked vestibule, so I get everything delivered to my workplace, BECAUSE it has a 24/7 front desk haha.

the real problem in these places are the customers though, 9/10 visits I get stuck behind some idiot who completely derps out adn wastes everyone's time

any of you use stamps.com or an alternative?  Worth it?

I use stamps.com, you get minor discounts here and there. then just hand the package with the postage on it and get ur receipt at the post office. i also use paypal for shipping. same deal minus the minor discounts. only really works if you have access to a scale tho.

I use stamps.com, you get minor discounts here and there. then just hand the package with the postage on it and get ur receipt at the post office. i also use paypal for shipping. same deal minus the minor discounts. only really works if you have access to a scale tho.

I use Paypal for any CDs/LPs I sell on Discogs or eBay. Super easy to print out a shipping label. No need for a receipt either, I just leave it in the mailbox and my mailman takes it from there.

I use Paypal for any CDs/LPs I sell on Discogs or eBay. Super easy to print out a shipping label. No need for a receipt either, I just leave it in the mailbox and my mailman takes it from there.

i trust no one. i gotta cover my ass if someone at usps decides not to scan it. i like watching them do it at the post office and i have a paper trail.

i trust no one. i gotta cover my ass if someone at usps decides not to scan it. i like watching them do it at the post office and i have a paper trail.

Same. I've had something marked as picked up before, but it never was. My mail carrier just scanned it and put it back. It was a hassle to get the post office to take it.

yeah I'd be using it for Discogs sales mostly.  Anything I should make sure my scale can do when shopping for one?

I don't even bother with a scale. I send all LPs as 2lbs. Even 3 LPs is less than 2lbs. Total cost with tracking via Media Mail is $3.23 I believe.

The scale would be needed for odd objects.

I wouldn't forgo a scale until you have some experience estimating weight. Double albums with thick packaging and some LP mailers can throw you for a loop sometimes.

This. I've had a two LP with thick packaging and extra padding exceed 3 pounds. I don't know how. Maybe my Shaprie contained lead? No idea. Just get a discounted/ clearance produce scale. Then you have a multi-functioning scale.

I print all my postage at home now and just drop the packages in the bin at the post office. It's so much easier than dealing with the postal clerks.

The only time I wait in line is when I need a receipt that I handed a package to the clerk and they scan it as "accepted" because the dollar value is high and to give myself a defense for if the insured package doesn't get delivered.