Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Quick question with carbon fiber brushes. Turntable Lab was nice enough to send me a free AudioQuest one with my Debut. I was using it last night and after lifting the brush up there was just a line of dust/sleeve papers. Can I brush against the grooves to get that off or is there a better way? Thanks

I've been running a basic set up for awhile now ..

1.) technics automatic turntable (DC Servo SL-BD20D)

2.) Nakamichi harmonic time alignment amplifier receiver 2.

My question is the following ...

I want to set up wireless speaker system that will let me play my vinyl collection through it.

Could someone help break down and guide me through this process. As I've been out of the tech loop for quite sometime. Not sure how possible this even is.

Thank you.

Finally managed to get my setup running, but found out that i got a (potential) major problem

I noticed that my turntable, a Technics SLQ-200, does not come with a grounding wire. I know this is an easy fix because all i need to do is buy a new wire.

However, when i look up to my amp (an old Kenwood KA-3004) to my horror is that i can't find the screw where you usually hook the wire to. All i can find is a hole and i assume that this means that the screw is missing, so my question is..

Is the screw replaceable, and even if it is, will it be specific to a particular model or any screw can do? Or is there a way where i can just attach my ground wire without a screw.

pics below to show you all some details of the missing grounding screw, sorry for the low quality pics, apparently my phone has a problem with its camera causing annoying purple tint

16055803041_b4e4121b0d.jpg

luckily, the amp is functioning well aside from the awful static caused by not using the ground wire

Any screw will due if you want your records to sound like a 128bit MP3, but if you want the best sound, you'll have to be willing to buy a screw of unobtainium. Only then will you have the opportunity to hear every bit of music. Every cleam high and low bass note. Everything will sound more musical. Oh and "what noise floor?" Dead silence when you're not playing anything. It will sound sooooo bad unless you can find and pay for this special audiophile grounding screw.

I've been running a basic set up for awhile now ..

1.) technics automatic turntable (DC Servo SL-BD20D)

2.) Nakamichi harmonic time alignment amplifier receiver 2.

My question is the following ...

I want to set up wireless speaker system that will let me play my vinyl collection through it.

Could someone help break down and guide me through this process. As I've been out of the tech loop for quite sometime. Not sure how possible this even is.

Thank you.

Would a technic d3 be considered a upgrade from a numark tt200 or just a different sound?

The short answer is yes but it depends on a few things.

If you have a tt200 with a straight arm and a SL-D3 with an S shaped arm and the SL-D3 is in good condition then yes but to be fair anything that has the cartridge tracking at the right angle would be an an improvement because those straight armed DJ decks that use a straight headshell are not a good way to play records at all.

If you have a tt200 with an S shaped arm and the SL-D3 is beaten up and expensive then you'd be better off keeping the tt200.

The short answer is yes but it depends on a few things.

If you have a tt200 with a straight arm and a SL-D3 with an S shaped arm and the SL-D3 is in good condition then yes but to be fair anything that has the cartridge tracking at the right angle would be an an improvement because those straight armed DJ decks that use a straight headshell are not a good way to play records at all.

If you have a tt200 with an S shaped arm and the SL-D3 is beaten up and expensive then you'd be better off keeping the tt200.

My numark is able to interchange tone arms Im gonna order a s arm I had one but lost it. And the technic is 100 with a s arm and comes with a cartridge but I'm not gonna use it because I have a m97xe cartridge

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, I only scrolled through about 5 pages of this thread and didn't find anything that could help me, so here is my question to try and fix my set up - For some reason, one of my speakers is only putting out what appears to be the bottom/bassy speaker, so I'm not getting any high-end or clarity out of it.  I have it plugged in the exact same as the other speaker (the other one sounds fine).  Can someone help me find the root problem? Below is my setup and how I have it configured -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers

Denon AVR - 3803CI (currently ONLY using this for my record player, it was given to me as a gift and eventually I plan to have a separate amp for my record setup, but that's a little down the road)

Ion TTusb05 (I know this is a bad record player, but it was given to me)

I am currently running the speaker wires to the front R and L inputs on the receiver.  My receiver has a Phono input, but I tried to connect my RCA cables from the record player to that and it sounds like trash.  I don't have a "grounding cable" or whatever that's called so maybe that's why?  So I just have the RCA cables plugged into the VCR/CD inputs on the receiver and one speaker sounds fine, and the other sounds like I mentioned above.

Sorry for the novel, but any guidance would help!  Thanks in advance, I've been following vinylcollective for a few years now and am glad to get a little more involved in the conversation.

I suspect you have a confluence of things going on...

Here's some home work.

1) Try plugging in another audio source into the receiver and see if the issues persist (ipod, computer, cd player, dvd player, vcr etc)

2) Find another RCA cable to try

IF the problems persist:

3) Your speakers have 2 sets of binding posts each connected by a gold colored jumper.  Make sure only the top OR the bottom is connected and that the jumpers are all in place.

IF the problems go away:

4) find some wire to use as a ground.

5) Check to see whether the phono-preamp on your turntable is enabled or not.  IF it is disabled, plug the RCA cables into phono input on your receiver.  IF it is disabled, plug the RCA cables into any non-phono input.

5) Check to see whether the phono-preamp on your turntable is enabled or not. IF it is disabled, plug the RCA cables into phono input on your receiver. IF it is ENABLED, plug the RCA cables into any non-phono input.

FTFY.

I used to have a similar TT and I would highly recommend holding off on purchasing your next 10-12 records to save up for something better. Not only are you going to have problems with getting this thing to sound right, every expense was definitely spared to make this, resulting in a cheap, plastic turntable that produces poor quality audio and slowly destroys your records. Good luck either way!

I have read most of this thread and love the amount of knowledge in it.  i just posted in the post your setup thread but realized i might should have posted here.   MOD please delete wrong post if so... here goes

Happy New Year to all of you!

Been lurking here for a while now and decided to take the plunge.  Looking for advice on where to go with upgrades for my current piecemeal set up.  Everything was kind of purchased backwards to solve specific needs but I won't bore you with it.  2015 is the year to get this in order and I need your help.  Here is what I got

-Stanton T62 TT(i know this needs to go)  Budget here up to 1kUSD

-ARTDJ Pre 2 ( I know this needs to go)  Like to stay in the 1k with TT if possible

-Denon AVR 1912 reciever

-PSB Image B6 bookshelf speakers(pair)

-Acoustech PL-200 sub

I'm happy with the sound of this MOST of the time. Just really intrigued on what it could be with a little $ and smart investing.

We are about 80% Vinyl and 20% digital music these days with very little care about the TV/Movie sound.  Sounds fine the way it is to us as we don't do a lot of tv.

As for the sub, I do like bass in my music so i'd want to keep that included.

Super excited to hear your suggestions and to be a part of the forum.

Thanks in advance!

I am looking to upgrade my setup and was looking at the first page and saw some interesting stuff.

as a TT i'm looking at the pro ject debut carbon 

and as an amp/pre amp the yamaha a-s501 or marantz pm6005 [better priced at 250 pounds]

speakers I saw the wharfedale diamond 10.1 for 128 pounds (I need passive speakers right?)

would that be a good setup or are there better options to check (speakers and amps more as i'm pretty set on the pro ject)

sorry for the english, i'm from Belgium

thanks!

The 6005 for that price is an awesome deal. If you can, try adding another 100 pounds to the total budget. For example, here's a cool package deal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-PM6005-Black-Dali-Zensor/dp/B00GMKXQ6C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1420629049&sr=8-4&keywords=marantz+pm6005

The Diamonds are cool to start with, but with the low EU prices on these "budget" components it's a huge benefit to go a step up.