Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

A phono preamp does more than just bring a weak signal to line level.  (If that's all it did, you could use any preamp or even just another amplifier).  The main thing a phono preamp does, that sets it apart from other amps, is it adjusts for (or adds) the "RIAA curve."  

During the 1930s-1940s when the record companies (mainly RCA Victor and Columbia) were experimenting with obtaining the best fidelity (highest quality) out of records, the new LPs and 45s that is, they came up with various equalization adjustments, de-emphasizing particularly the bass frequencies while emphasizing the highs, then reversing this on playback. For awhile, each record company had their own equalization "curve." A standard was eventually agreed upon through the Recording Industry Association of America, so the RIAA curve became the standard in 1954.  All phono preamps come with the RIAA curve built in.

read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

A phono preamp does more than just bring a weak signal to line level.  (If that's all it did, you could use any preamp or even just another amplifier).  The main thing a phono preamp does, that sets it apart from other amps, is it adjusts for (or adds) the "RIAA curve."  

During the 1930s-1940s when the record companies (mainly RCA Victor and Columbia) were experimenting with obtaining the best fidelity (highest quality) out of records, the new LPs and 45s that is, they came up with various equalization adjustments, de-emphasizing particularly the bass frequencies while emphasizing the highs, then reversing this on playback. For awhile, each record company had their own equalization "curve." A standard was eventually agreed upon through the Recording Industry Association of America, so the RIAA curve became the standard in 1954.  All phono preamps come with the RIAA curve built in.

read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

and.....none of that has anything to do with his question.  thanks wikipedia.

I've been looking through this thread and learned a lot. But i feel like maybe the recommended equipment is a little out of date? I'm ready to buy a whole new setup (for listening) which i worked my ass off for and just want to make sure i do it correctly. I have like two grand for a complete setup and i've just been stuck on what i should get. I was leaning towards the rpm1 from pro-ject and a5 speakers but now i'm not so sure. I feel like i might have enough money to upgrade. I feel like maybe if theres something better i should check it out. Guys! What do i do!? How should i spend this $2000 to have a wonderful setup? I'm coming from a lp-120 but i want my next setup to be legit and last me a while lol. I would really appreciate not being yelled at for asking / still being a beginner or being made fun of because you guys are my only hope to help me!

I've been looking through this thread and learned a lot. But i feel like maybe the recommended equipment is a little out of date? I'm ready to buy a whole new setup (for listening) which i worked my ass off for and just want to make sure i do it correctly. I have like two grand for a complete setup and i've just been stuck on what i should get. I was leaning towards the rpm1 from pro-ject and a5 speakers but now i'm not so sure. I feel like i might have enough money to upgrade. I feel like maybe if theres something better i should check it out. Guys! What do i do!? How should i spend this $2000 to have a wonderful setup? I'm coming from a lp-120 but i want my next setup to be legit and last me a while lol. I would really appreciate not being yelled at for asking / still being a beginner or being made fun of because you guys are my only hope to help me!

There are so, so many combination choices. I'm sure others with more experience will chime in (or have chimed in by the time I press post). But if I'm in your position, I'm looking to spend $700 on an integrated amp, $700 on speakers and then $600 on a table. Obviously used is a better value across the board, but especially in speakers and amp here. 

But if you're hard set on new, something like a Cambridge 651a ($549 on amazon), B&W 685 S2 ($700) , and a Rega RP1 or Debut Carbon Espirit ($450-600).

I'm definitely going to check the other tables you recommended but is the Espirit the better option as opposed to the rpm1? Every time i try to compare i just get overwhelmed or i forget and i don't have much free time to really sit down and do research. I've been working 12 hour days like today right now lol. (Pizzeria life)

by way of example, I spent almost exactly $2k on my current setup by watching pretty closely for good deals on newish/used gear

Table - Marantz TT 15-S1 - $1k as a B-Stock item
Amp - Marantz PM8004 - $500 used from a dealer on eBay.
Speakers - Monitor Audio RX1s - $500 new on clearance.

New/retail the above would have run me well over $3k

The speakers/turntable were pretty low risk as I bought them from authorized dealers (Audio Advisor and Music Direct respectively)

The amp was a bit of a gamble--good rule of thumb might be to consider going used (from a reputable source) if you're saving ~50% off the street price.