Official Country Music Thread

Thats right.  In light of the tragic passing away of George Jones I wanted to make a country thread for those of you who like drinking a beer and listening to some country music.

I myself was never into todays country music until a couple years ago I saw Kenny Chesney and Zac Brown together live and had such an awesome time.  Great people, great music, and great drinks.  was a grand old time.

This summer I plan on going to two country shows, maybe 3 this summer.  Luke Bryan and Blake Shelton are definites and still on the fence about maybe seeing Darius Rucker since his playing a few miles away.

New music wise, really liking Blake Sheltons "Boys Round Here" (really anything he puts out) and as cheesy as these guys are, Florida Georgia Line's "Get Your Shine On" is a lot of fun.  Also really like George Straits "Give It All We Got Tonight," Lee Brice "I Drive Your Truck" and Miranda Lamberts "Mamas Broken Heart"

Pop-country makes me want to kick babies off of bridges.

Most unoriginal garbage ever. How many more goddamn times can you sing about beer, trucks, BBQ stains on your shirt, and summertime?

And yea I've actually listened to my share of the shit that's on the radio, so I'm not just blindly making a stereotypical comment, and that's why I said pop-country.

I've seriously heard plenty of stuff from 10-15 years ago because my friend at the time was really big into it and there is absolutely zero difference between that and the trash getting pumped out today.

Old country I can respect.

And Carrie Underwood is pretty good lol.

But I hate 99% of modern country with extreme passion.

/endrant

Miranda Lambert is sooo fuckin' hot. (yes even after the weight gain) i like her music too, but it's pretty much par for the course of typical pop/country. like the dixie chicks back in the day, they weren't anything new, but just catchy. too tell you the truth, the best dixie chicks songs were written by emily's husband charlie.. 

i think some rock musicians have taken up the old traditions of country that everyone loved and made it their own, while the whole of country has taken the exact opposite approach and took the pop traditions and glamorized it to an extent it's almost laughable. that's just me. 

i think the last decent era of country music was the early 90's with dwight yoakam and george straight and the likes. maybe garth brooks before he went all Chris Gaines on us.

with that note, i leave you with a song from a artist i listen to regularly. I even saw her autobio movie as a child (thanks mom). 

Country still has some killer drinking songs

Totally agree with this. I think the whole 'I like all music except country' thing is stupid. I get really nostalgic when I hear some country songs, because I grew up in the middle of nowhere and we spent a lot of time getting drunk in corn fields.

I don't actively seek out country music to listen to now, but I appreciate it for what it is.

Pop-country makes me want to kick babies off of bridges.

Most unoriginal garbage ever. How many more goddamn times can you sing about beer, trucks, BBQ stains on your shirt, and summertime?

And yea I've actually listened to my share of the shit that's on the radio, so I'm not just blindly making a stereotypical comment, and that's why I said pop-country.

I've seriously heard plenty of stuff from 10-15 years ago because my friend at the time was really big into it and there is absolutely zero difference between that and the trash getting pumped out today.

Old country I can respect.

And Carrie Underwood is pretty good lol.

But I hate 99% of modern country with extreme passion.

/endrant

You nailed it dude

I personally do not like country but as a vinyl collector I love it. From what I've been told from friends at pressing plants and in the music industry, country music kept vinyl alive through the 90's. Apparently a lot of country radio stations did not want to spend the money to transform their operations into cd/tape so instead they insisted that record labels send them 7" singles. No other genre was pressing nearly as many records as country artists/labels were so it kept it going for a very long time. 

Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Willie Nelson... You can't go wrong with the old timers pre-80's. The new shit is shit, except the alt-country thing. Some people also call it Americana.

Neko Case was so amazing when she was doing country. She really captured the haunting sound that Patsy knew so well. Now, not so much.

http://youtu.be/NYGod41gG9M

http://youtu.be/SyZJnX-BnPY

• 1 year later...

I am glad to have found this thread! I love real country music, not the soft rock shit being shoved down everyones throat in the guise of country music. Luckily there is a revival afoot, and a few lesser known artist keeping the true flame alive. I love digging for old country, as it's off a lot of peoples radar who dig, at least the lesser know acts.

Whitey Morgan And The 78's - I'm on Fire: https://youtu.be/90KVUHfXCaM

There's still some pretty good, maybe more rock influenced country out today.  Austin Lucas has been putting out solid releases for some time now.  Same goes for Cory Branan.  Also, if you wanna hear some sad bastard country, do yourself a favor and check out the Everybodyfields

Last post but wanted to throw out a couple more.  Corey Chisel is a local guy who is pretty big nationally now.  I'm not a huge fan of most of his music, but he has started a local music festival that has brought all the acts I've posted to my area.  I'm also sure some of these could be classified as more Alt-country or Folk Country or whatever, but eh, I'm terrible with labels.