Shipping Damage Help

I got a non-gatefold record shipped from amazon in their "stress-free" packaging. The record came beat to hell. The vinyl is fine but the cover is just abysmal. I don't want to return it because there's a 1 in 10 chance they'll have another copy. Any tips on how to report this and/or how to fix up the cover? Thanks

You can try calling them. If the regular rep gives you disappointing news, just ask for a supervisor. I once had a shipment stolen 3 times from amazon, and they replaced it all 3 times. Another time, they sent me the wrong item - the rep told me they couldn't do anything about it - after speaking with a supervisor, they sent me a replacement and said i didn't have to ship the other item back. 

They can be fairly accommodating.

instead of being a weird introvert about a situation you have with a specific company and asking a completely unrelated messageboard about it, maybe you could take 2 minutes and call the company and ask a customer service rep about it? that's what their job is to do.

source: i'm a customer service rep (not with amazon)

It was a copy of Broken Bells' OOP LP - I know because I ordered it too and got it same day as kyle.

Mine had a semi-bad seam split on the top of the sleeve and the inner sleeve and record has a bunch of dirt/dust/grime in it.. I assume from the seam split. A little cleaning and replacing the inner sleeve and my copy is okay - hope it works out for you kyle.

I expected Amazon to be useless - but I contacted them today about my Drive pre-order never shipping and they gave me a $30 credit. So, I bought their last copy of Deftones' Diamond Eyes on white. Thanks Amazon, even though I don't like you as a vendor.

It was a copy of Broken Bells' OOP LP - I know because I ordered it too and got it same day as kyle.

Mine had a semi-bad seam split on the top of the sleeve and the inner sleeve and record has a bunch of dirt/dust/grime in it.. I assume from the seam split. A little cleaning and replacing the inner sleeve and my copy is okay - hope it works out for you kyle.

I expected Amazon to be useless - but I contacted them today about my Drive pre-order never shipping and they gave me a $30 credit. So, I bought their last copy of Deftones' Diamond Eyes on white. Thanks Amazon, even though I don't like you as a vendor.

How is it amazons fault that the record has "dirt/dust/grime" on it. You guys/gals act sometimes like these distributors make these records themselves to sell to you. If I was amazon I would laugh at you trying to return a record for some of the reasons I see here

It says "In stock June 9" this record has been known to be OOP - and peoples' orders have been cancelled off of Amazon before.

As far as "dirt and grime on the record not being amazon's fault" There is a sizeable seam split across the top of the vinyl. Through that split there was dirt and dust all over the inner white sleeve and in a triangle shape on the record itself.  Granted, this could have occurred in transit, but seeing as how the other person who got one's cover was completely destroyed, and that the record is hard to find and magically 5 copies popped up last week, I think it's safe to assume these showed up in a warehouse somewhere unexpectedly.

Paying $30 for a record and expecting it to be in good condition is not a reason to "laugh at me for some of the reasons for returning records".  And, also, I don't intend to ask for credit or refund, after some cleaning and a new inner sleeve my record is in perfect condition ( minus the seam split) and I'm just glad to have it.

How is it amazons fault that the record has "dirt/dust/grime" on it. You guys/gals act sometimes like these distributors make these records themselves to sell to you. If I was amazon I would laugh at you trying to return a record for some of the reasons I see here

A quick search on the amazon site shows this record is avail.

Just let it go. Seam splits happen while shipping and if the records are sealed, little can be done to prevent this unless you have the mailer packed very tight so the record is squeezed in place and cannot move.

As for dirt, it's a new record. All new records have factory dirt, paper from dust sleeves, etc. on them. No record should be played without being cleaned first.

Basically, if you want to be happy in this hobby, you'll have to accept things like seam splits and you'll have to get a record cleaning system (see FAQ) to play your records.

I got a non-gatefold record shipped from amazon in their "stress-free" packaging. The record came beat to hell. The vinyl is fine but the cover is just abysmal. I don't want to return it because there's a 1 in 10 chance they'll have another copy. Any tips on how to report this and/or how to fix up the cover? Thanks

As my father always says, "The Lord helps those that help themselves".  He's not religious.  To me this translates to, "Shut the fuck up you pussy and deal with it yourself".  Sorry for being blunt.  Not really.

Just let it go. Seam splits happen while shipping and if the records are sealed, little can be done to prevent this unless you have the mailer packed very tight so the record is squeezed in place and cannot move.

As for dirt, it's a new record. All new records have factory dirt, paper from dust sleeves, etc. on them. No record should be played without being cleaned first.

Basically, if you want to be happy in this hobby, you'll have to accept things like seam splits and you'll have to get a record cleaning system (see FAQ) to play your records.

See above ;) I plan on letting it go, and I know seam splits happen - and I replaced inner sleeve and cleaned the record.

We're all good haha.

If the record is fine then that should be good enough. If the sleeve is FUBAR and you gotta have it mint then just return it. I know I may be in the silent minority but if the disc is fine and the sleeve is toast I usually shrug it off.

Thanks, that's probably what'll do. I still want to make a stink to amazon and get some store credit but returning it is just a recipe for disaster because they've cancelled 3 different orders of this particular record

It doesn't sound like it's just the inner sleeve, but also the outer sleeve/cover that had split seams. I'd be a little upset if I purchased something marked as new and received a damaged package. Yeah, clean vinyl is really what matters, but it's the principle of the thing. There are PRICIPALITIES involved.

grain-of-salt.jpggrain-of-salt.jpgsingles_4c3004291f903_hires.jpg

It doesn't sound like it's just the inner sleeve, but also the outer sleeve/cover that had split seams. I'd be a little upset if I purchased something marked as new and received a damaged package. Yeah, clean vinyl is really what matters, but it's the principle of the thing. There are PRICIPALITIES involved.

grain-of-salt.jpggrain-of-salt.jpg