Dance Gavin Dance 6 LP Vinyl Boxset

Off topic, but I know some of you are fans of Emarosa, and I was apparently behind on the times, but Bradley, fomrely from the band Squid the Whale, has been announced as the frontman. You guys should go to Squid the Whale's bandcamp and check them out. Their EPs are incredible.

Off topic, but I know some of you are fans of Emarosa, and I was apparently behind on the times, but Bradley, fomrely from the band Squid the Whale, has been announced as the frontman. You guys should go to Squid the Whale's bandcamp and check them out. Their EPs are incredible.

I completely forgot they announced their new singer. I'll check out Squid The Whale for sure.

At 27 years old a part of me feels I'm getting too old for this type of music.

Fuck it, I'm in. Can't wait.

Never too old!

I completely forgot they announced their new singer. I'll check out Squid The Whale for sure.

Definitely do! I've been listening them about a year now and even their older, weirdly mixed stuff is great. Definitely listen to New war. and Four More. Ben from YMAEWK does guest vocals in their little single from last year, The German Affair. They're a super underrated band in my opinion, so I'm trying to spread the word. :P

Oh, how I hope this goes up soon. 

Fact of the day: I was getting rights to Happiness at one point by the vice-prez of Rise and then got it yanked when they started the box set idea. Would have been /750 on pink vinyl, gatefold. Pretty sweet package. At least it's still getting out to the people.

Fact of the day: I was getting rights to Happiness at one point by the vice-prez of Rise and then got it yanked when they started the box set idea. Would have been /750 on pink vinyl, gatefold. Pretty sweet package. At least it's still getting out to the people.

Thank god you guys didnt do it. Don't want the pressing foxed up.

That's pretty cool. Sounds like a good project. Super excited for the boxset, though. Cool points to you for doing my favorite album by them, though!

Now I am concerned. Per Kris Crummett, he doesn't think any vinyl mastering was done for the boxset.

https://twitter.com/kcrummett/status/374670098306326528

I hear what you're saying. Not necessarily a death blow though. Many serviceable releases never get proper vinyl mastering. Will (hopefully) keep costs down for the box set.

I will bite on this if the price is $90 or less.

More responses...

https://twitter.com/kcrummett/status/374675615175036928

A lot of vinyl these days is pressed from CD masters. Even good sounding stuff. As long as the pressing plant cuts it right.

https://twitter.com/kcrummett/status/374676918999609344

I can't vouch for the vinyl pressing company. I hope they nail it though!

They can take their sweet old time with this as far as I'm concerned. Really gotta make sure I have the cash for this.

I'm guessing this means it might be a little while still though?

With the test pressings already done, I don't think it will take that long. Is anyone familiar with Rainbo Records? They're the ones that are cutting it and pressing it. Do they have a good reputation?

I just would like someone to explain to me how the sound is enhanced in any way being pressed on vinyl if they're likely using only the cd masters. Will the albums sound fuller than on cd even though they may be using the exact same masters?

With the test pressings already done, I don't think it will take that long. Is anyone familiar with Rainbo Records? They're the ones that are cutting it and pressing it. Do they have a good reputation?

I just would like someone to explain to me how the sound is enhanced in any way being pressed on vinyl if they're likely using only the cd masters. Will the albums sound fuller than on cd even though they may be using the exact same masters?

I believe Rainbo did the Dear Hunter's Color Spectrum sets. I could be wrong, but I think TCR (Triple Crown Records) uses them a lot. Don't quote me on that. But I've never heard any overwhelming negative comments about them, and I know the Color Spectrum set was amazing, aside from MerchDirect's stupid shipping methods. I've not given up hope yet!

Somehow Emarosa always flew under the radar for me to check out, and I finally did about six months ago or so, and I gotta say, regardless of Johnny Craig's personal issues, his voice is incredible, especially in Emarosa, so it'll definitely be interesting to hear what the new vocalist will bring. Johnny Craig's voice is just so powerful, and sounded really good behind a post-hardcore, then more melodic band.

Somehow Emarosa always flew under the radar for me to check out, and I finally did about six months ago or so, and I gotta say, regardless of Johnny Craig's personal issues, his voice is incredible, especially in Emarosa, so it'll definitely be interesting to hear what the new vocalist will bring. Johnny Craig's voice is just so powerful, and sounded really good behind a post-hardcore, then more melodic band.

When I first started listening to Emarosa, I fucking loved in, but somewhere in the last couple months, I either got bored of it, or burnt out on it, and I have no idea why. I still say the same thing about Jonnh's DGD vs Kurt's. I personally think it has something to do with the amount of real emotion and soul he puts into the words. That's just me. I know people on both sides. I think Jonny is a great vocalist, but I think he lacks in a few departments when it comes to lyric writing. And he lacks in a LOT of departments when it comes to live performances. He sounds like shit in every video I've ever seen. Not to mention him being a complete dick who's obsessed with himself. Seeing videos of Tilian performing Emarosa songs a couple years ago, he kicked the shit out of similar performances Jonny did. Same with Kurt, although he usually doesn't do Jonny's songs. After the same amount of time for Tides of Man, and a much longer time for Dance Gavin Dance, I'm still not bored with their music, whereas Emarosa and Jonny's solo stuff gets skipped on shuffle quite often. Sorry, I could rant and discuss this for days.

As for the vinyl mastering questions, like Kris's said, a lot of albums aren't mixed for their vinyl releases these days, sometimes we just don't know. It all really comes down to how you're listening to it. Plus, it depends on the label. We're spoiled with some awesome smaller labels who are in touch with the vinyl community. A label like Rise who puts out mostly mallcore and pop punk isn't concerned with the vinyl lovers who have $1000 setups. They're concerned with the kids at the mall and on MerchNow saying "omg I love that band". I'm assuming the vinyl Rise put out for Sleeping With Sirens and Memphis May Fire a while back weren't mastered for vinyl, and they sounded fine to me, but I also have a lower-end setup. And no, it's not a Crosley or something like that. :P