need some inner strength. (warning. bummer stuff inside.)

Satan

hello friends,

today was exceptionally bad. i woke up to a voicemal this morning from my best frend, and it was to call him the moment I got it. I called.

On the other end all  hear was crying and him saying "dude, i fucked up. i fucked up big time." after a bit i learned that he quit his job, lost his car, stole his roommates cash, left EVERYTHING except his phone and hopped on a bus from austin to san francisco...and was currently standing on the bridge about to jump. thankfully, after an hour i talked him down and made him promise me to to get some help. fast forward 30 mnutes, i made some calls, he held up hs end of the bargain and soon had an officer there with him as they both waited for a ride to the psychiatric ward. later on i find out he kept up his end of the deal and is now committed.

he has always been a very dark, macabe, depressed demeanor but never, NEVER would i think it would go this far.

frankly, i literally saved my best friends life today and am having a very hard time dealing with all this.

im sorry tony :( 

i will shoot you a text message tomorrow, im just about to get to bed for the night tonight. but i just wanted to post here to remind myself that i need to.

chin up buddy, you saved your friends life. hopefully he will be all better after he gets some professional help.

love you brother.

As a person who's had to talk down a friend from basically shooting himself (as his brother did years before) i hear where you are coming from, but you shouldn't be sad about it. it's surprising that his attempted suicide had come that far, but it's far better knowing that he's being committed and getting the help he needs than just hanging up and then hearing later that he went through it or worse doing so while you were on the phone with him. you did the right thing and the best conclusion came from it. hope this helps. 

"dude, i hate wearing fucking suits. so dont make me wear one." that was the one that got a chuckle, and made him step down.

As a person who's had to talk down a friend from basically shooting himself (as his brother did years before) i hear where you are coming from, but you shouldn't be sad about it. it's surprising that his attempted suicide had come that far, but it's far better knowing that he's being committed and getting the help he needs than just hanging up and then hearing later that he went through it or worse doing so while you were on the phone with him. you did the right thing and the best conclusion came from it. hope this helps. 

its hard not to be sad though. yes, i know he's now safe but at the same time im fucking scared to death that it even got this close. he told me about documentaries about people jumping off the bridge and how his dad almost did the same thing way back when.

...its scary shit.

im sorry tony :(

i will shoot you a text message tomorrow, im just about to get to bed for the night tonight. but i just wanted to post here to remind myself that i need to.

chin up buddy, you saved your friends life. hopefully he will be all better after he gets some professional help.

love you brother.

thanks man, it means alot.

I had a friend that went to the brink (shotgun in his mouth) but decided he couldn't do it. I didn't know about it at the time and it scared the shit out of me. He was hospitalized and has been on and off with shrinks ever since. IMO it's something that takes a long time to deal with, there's no quick fix. So plan on being his support system for a while, he's lucky he has a friend he can trust.

My friend lives 10 hours away so it's tough because I don't get to see him. I try to call/text/email when I can to check up but he's doing better now. The stress can take a toll on me too.

has anyone had experience with being in a mental institution or know anyone that has? i know its a rough subject to bring up. how does it really work? and what was the outcome?

being someone who has been talked down from a situation like this, and spent some time in a hospital, it was literally the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was medicated for a few (5) years after the fact. and then decided to see if id be ok without the aid of drugs, and it turns out, it worked. you did an amazing thing, your friend probably already appreciates you more than you will ever know. 

being someone who has been talked down from a situation like this, and spent some time in a hospital, it was literally the best thing that has ever happened to me. I was medicated for a few (5) years after the fact. and then decided to see if id be ok without the aid of drugs, and it turns out, it worked. you did an amazing thing, your friend probably already appreciates you more than you will ever know. 

this post is way better than mine

I lost this battle not long ago. When he is out check out the AFSP for support groups, resources etc. good organization with great intentions and connections.

Dealing with someone in these moments is tough stuff man, take care of yourself too. I hit a survivors of suicide group to chat and it was good.

Great job man, all the best to you and your friend.

I'm not informed on mental health / suicide at all and have never experienced this. Just saying that up front.

My reason for asking, though, was just that it seemed like there were too cases.  1) Maybe he went to see his parents or a girlfriend or something there, it didn't go well, he sees the bridge and goes up or 2) it's all kinda random details.

This is tough to put into words but it seems like 1 is a more serious situation than 2 (not to say they weren't both serious). One seems more certain and the second seems like more a big show / cry for help.

I mean that in a positive light even though it's a terrible situation. The fact that he made a show out of it (to me) means that he is hurting but doesn't want to die, and there is more hope to bring someone like that back to being happy than someone who tries it in a more utilitarian way.

Hope I'm right...

I lost a friend this way when I was 14. I still don't think he knew the magnitude of what he was doing, what he did.

glad you were able to help your friend. sounds like he's been dealing with this for a while.

Having just 1 good friend, such as yourself, can really make a difference to someone who is going through tough times. Good on you!

Everyone is different, but I feel like a lot of people who go through this kind of stuff have really good hearts and tend to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders, with no one to share the load, it is really heavy. I wish the best for your friend, the world can be a dark place and good people are needed, every single one of them!

It's a touchy subject, so I hope this comes off the right way, sometimes it can be hard to put these kinds of ideas into words.

update : i got a phone call today from jeremy (the friend), and he's doing good. not great, but...good. they have him medicated and getting plenty of rest. since he put himself in there, he has to stay there at least 72 hours which is mandatory. his 72 hours is up tomorrow but is choosing to stay longer for his own benefit. 

he really wanted to tell me about the girl in the padded room...but his time ran up.