RoboCop (2014)

Making an R rated movie that still holds up into a PG-13 remake? Will not see (unless it's on Netflix streaming and I'm blackout drunk).

This. Even if it is a reboot, at that point they're stripping down the very fabric of what spirit of the original was (uncompromisingly violent) so that they can sell more theater tickets.

Will not buy.

There are so many fucking rad books, games, plays, etc. that could be made in to movies - why go and remake a classic movie (arguably one of the coolest movies ever) and make it look this poopy.

And don't say it's a reboot, because it's one fucking movie - not a series.

I feel like they missed an opportunity to be much more topical (drone attacks, NSA surveliiance, etc) and really marry the movie to the times we live in and not let the character struggle with "regaining his humanity." Also: PG-13? Car bomb and not merciless gangland shooting? I hate that his family is still around. I loved the scene where Robocop enters his abandoned home to find family photos and reminisce. We didn't know how/why/when his family left, we only knew that they were gone and he was alone but still cherished the memories of a family he still had a deep emotional connection to. I just can't see any way in which this movie is half as good as the original. And if you can't remake a movie at least as good as the original, then why not just leave it the fuck alone?

I know. $.

I've rewatched that trailer three times. I'm not sure I like the changes but I know I'm going to see it. I have no issue with bringing a classic character back to the screen, I just pray it isn't an insult to the original. 

I am glad to see Michael Keaton - underrated actor. I've also missed having Kevin Kline in better film roles, I do like having him as Mr. Fishodor however.

• 4 months later...

I had just seen this video, saw this Robocop thread had been bumped, and came to post it. This scene will probably make it on to my "Top 10 Movies of 2014" list.

If you didn't pick up the Robocop remaster Bluray from amazon when it was $8 you fucked up. Shit is flawless.

3088xhi.gif

I had just seen this video, saw this Robocop thread had been bumped, and came to post it. This scene will probably make it on to my "Top 10 Movies of 2014" list.

If you didn't pick up the Robocop remaster Bluray from amazon when it was $8 you fucked up. Shit is flawless.

3088xhi.gif

I agree that the video is fucking hilarious. And awesome. And that blu ray has been 8 bucks everywhere for the last 3 weeks, so technically no one fucked up. I grabbed it though, and the 4k transfer is definitely impeccable.

I'm not much of a special features guy, been years since I really watched any. But on the Robocop BD there's a short featurette called "Villains of Old Detroit" and it's a lot of fun. Ray Wise, Kurtwood Smith, and Miguel Ferrer talk about some on set anecdotes and tomfoolery.

I would watch a whole movie about those guys stealing and racing golf carts on the set of Robocop. 

Bought the Blu Ray based off your guys' recommendation 

So this came with a $7.50 credit towards seeing the new one. I don't plan on seeing that abomination any time soon, so if anyone wants it PM and and if you're first I'll have you respond with your name and email address so I can get it sent directly to you.

So this came with a $7.50 credit towards seeing the new one. I don't plan on seeing that abomination any time soon, so if anyone wants it PM and and if you're first I'll have you respond with your name and email address so I can get it sent directly to you.

PM'd

For some reason the first batch of Amazon preorders didn't have the ticket credit promotion