My First Record Show

I went to my first record show today in Omaha, NE.  It was held at an old fire station on 60th and Grover.  There were about two dozen sellers from as far away as Denver.  Most of the sellers were selling classic rock albums; however, there were a few guys who had some punk titles. Overall I thought the prices were inflated, which I can understand considering how far some of these folks had to drive.  I ended up scoring a Coltrane LP for a friend of mine for Christmas, so It was a productive day.

I went to my first last month and walked away with a wicked haul....SOAD NiN Metallica and a heap more.....would be better prepared next time with a want list and more cash

I brought a want list with me but most of what I am looking for is either really obscure or was pressed in the UK.  I did pass out my want list to quite a few of the sellers in case they run across something I'm looking for.  I also met a few sellers in town that I have not met thus far.  

I've been selling at local shows which I advertise on here since 2010. I've also sold a few times at a major show that coincides with an event here called Ponderosa Stomp. I don't do very well there because it's a soul 45 collector's dream. But, I love going to ones outside of here, just haven't made it to Birmingham or Austin or the bigger national shows.

I've been selling at local shows which I advertise on here since 2010. I've also sold a few times at a major show that coincides with an event here called Ponderosa Stomp. I don't do very well there because it's a soul 45 collector's dream. But, I love going to ones outside of here, just haven't made it to Birmingham or Austin or the bigger national shows.

Get out to Atlanta at all?

my first record show was the Austin Record Convention last year and it was completely overwhelming, but fucking AWESOME. there were sellers and buyers from all over the world with over one million LPs, 45s. cds, and cassettes. i really had no clue what to expect and took a want list. i picked up very few items from my wantlist, but it was geared toward hard to find metal. i'll be going back this year and now that i know what to expect, i can fine-tune my list and hopefully have much more success (and an empty wallet).

^^ It's in a couple weeks, huh? I'd love to go but I'm selling at a record show here, which will all but guarantee me $500.

yep, Oct 25-27. last year we aid the $25 to get early access on Friday, i will not be doing that this year. the vast majority of stuff that i found was still there on saturday (except my sealed OG pressing of Mechanical Animals for $25). this year, we'll just be paying the $5 to get in on Saturday and spend Thursday and Friday bombing around Austin and visiting all of the other great record stores there. 

yep, Oct 25-27. last year we aid the $25 to get early access on Friday, i will not be doing that this year. the vast majority of stuff that i found was still there on saturday (except my sealed OG pressing of Mechanical Animals for $25). this year, we'll just be paying the $5 to get in on Saturday and spend Thursday and Friday bombing around Austin and visiting all of the other great record stores there. 

Sounds like a great time.  

Where was this?

Melbourne, Australia

I was though I was going to walk into crap and op shop seconds....a heap if Kamahl.......but it was rad.....would have spent alot more cash permitting

Lots of metal lots of boots which looked cool.....picked up Toxicity.....Broken/Fixed....wish you were here....jap press Metallica RTL and a couple of other items......misses picked up some 80s soundtracks

Locally, RI and Southeast MA, I have been to and now sell from the Dr. Oldies Record Show that happens twice a year.  Next one is Sunday, October 27th.   About two years ago I attended my first record show, there were maybe 35 dealers on 8' tables, and found nothing but classic and used older records for sale. After hours of fruitless digging I found a OG press of Siamese Dream for $40 and my only purchase for the day.   A little disappointing for someone looking for new (anything after 1990) releases.  

So I decided to sell at the next show as there would be no competition on new, sealed and current LP's.   Loaded up and brought all my new, limited color and out of print releases including Sub Pop, Polyvinyl, Southern Lord, Guided By Voices, etc... and most people just walked right by.   A handful of people stop, go thru everything, realize my prices and product are pretty good, and buy a few records.   I have grossed about $400 at each the three shows I was a dealer, table cost $35.  

Random thoughts:  As a dealer I never know what to bring and lugging the LP's back and forth is not exactly easy.   I always bring a couple of bins of punk, rock, 45's that are listed for $1-$3 bucks and hardly any have ever sold.   Personally, if someone gave me a want list I would just throw it out, this is about digging and finding the LP you crave and not me giving it to you from a list.  The venue at least gives me a chance to tell people about my record store at a friends consignment shop in East Providence, RI, that is stocked with a few hundred new, sealed LP's.  The store, which I call Y2K Records, is stocked with classic reissues, HT exclusives, limited color vinyl and cheap, new releases.  We sell about $150 worth of records, about 10 LP's, every month without any advertising.  My biggest fault is I collect music I enjoy, which means I have much too much 90's music to sell.   

Unless it is otherwise noted, record shows are mostly old mainstream released records. If you are looking for punk you have to find the "new wave" or "alternative" section. Like I said above it's all about the digging.

That was my experience at the show I recently attended

this was my experience in Austin as well. out of roughly 100 vendors, there were 3 vendors who specialized in metal, 1 who specialized in punk, and 1 guy who had a pretty good mixture of modern (mid-90's to current) rock. everyone else was typically 60's-80's mainstream rock with a seemingly big focus on pushing relatively expensive copies of Beatles, Floyd, and Zappa.

since last year i've totally retooled my record show wantlist to hopefully be able to walk out with more records to fill the holes in some of my discographies that i'm trying to complete. i've also learned that you NEED to haggle. you can definitely get things for a FAR cheaper price at record shows if you haggle. i saw one guy come off of a record almost $80 last year because the dude who was haggling just put it down in the middle of the conversation and walked away. he didn't say a word, he just laid the record down and walked the hell off. the vendor chased him down the aisle and said "ok ok ok, i'll let you have it". i'm taking that dude's approach this year if i find something that is a MUST HAVE that's way overpriced.