Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Wish I hadn't misread the Ufomammut - Ecate standard edition so badly, then I wouldn't be so bummed that it's a triple gatefold insert instead of a triple gatefold cover. :( wahhhhhh

Insert? Lame. Everything about how this was priced and released just rubbed me the wrong way. Too expensive and the way they made only the deluxe edition available for a while was whack. I will buy this down the road when there is a nice sale somewhere. That's how I got those overpriced Neurosis reissues.

Insert? Lame. Everything about how this was priced and released just rubbed me the wrong way. Too expensive and the way they made only the deluxe edition available for a while was whack. I will buy this down the road when there is a nice sale somewhere. That's how I got those overpriced Neurosis reissues.

Yeah, pretty bummed about it. The only thing that made me not just return it is that I bought that Elliott Smith - From the Basement on the Hill (blemished) with it so I ended up with a double LP I'd wanted for a while and Ufomammut for like $36 shipped. The Elliott Smith has a couple little scuffs that shouldn't effect play on it. and cost like $8.  ::shrug::

I'm getting kind of over the whole doom scene (and vinyl in general unfortunately) because of overpriced bullshit like this though. Flimsy-ass sleeve, single LP for $24 or whatever? Garbage. Oh, and don't forget that triple gatefold insert that I'll look at one time.

Yeah, it's a good album and that's what should matter, but this was probably worth about $16 to me, so if I hadn't been able to combine shipping on that and the E Smith album I'd have been pretty butthurt over it.

Yeah, pretty bummed about it. The only thing that made me not just return it is that I bought that Elliott Smith - From the Basement on the Hill (blemished) with it so I ended up with a double LP I'd wanted for a while and Ufomammut for like $36 shipped. The Elliott Smith has a couple little scuffs that shouldn't effect play on it. and cost like $8. ::shrug::

I'm getting kind of over the whole doom scene (and vinyl in general unfortunately) because of overpriced bullshit like this though. Flimsy-ass sleeve, single LP for $24 or whatever? Garbage. Oh, and don't forget that triple gatefold insert that I'll look at one time.

Yeah, it's a good album and that's what should matter, but this was probably worth about $16 to me, so if I hadn't been able to combine shipping on that and the E Smith album I'd have been pretty butthurt over it.

Anymore unless its something i really really want im not buying it until a sale happens somewhere. Even if its a 15% off salle its a bit easier to swallow on some purchases. But when labels, like riding easy, put out flimsy non insert particle board sleeves for a single LP at 24 bucks ill kindly say no thank you for quite some time.

Anymore unless its something i really really want im not buying it until a sale happens somewhere. Even if its a 15% off salle its a bit easier to swallow on some purchases. But when labels, like riding easy, put out flimsy non insert particle board sleeves for a single LP at 24 bucks ill kindly say no thank you for quite some time.

Yup. I bit on Horsehunter today, but MER is solid people, who put out awesome stuff and hook up their customers. Plus it was like $26 shipped for a kickass looking double LP.

I think we're in the same boat though.

We are. I bought that horsehunter almost sight unseen/heard based on people here saying it was good and MER always delivering. Ultimately totally worth it.

Unrelated im waiting to see the body right now and forgot to bring ear plugs. Cya later hearing that was already 90% gone...

Gah! Ask at the bar? I had to buy a pair for a buck at SLEEP.

Gah! Ask at the bar? I had to buy a pair for a buck at SLEEP.

I dont know why i didnt ask. I didnt see any or any signs like most places have. They did have them and at 75 cents which is an odd price point. I guess the damage was already mostly done after full of hell's set but may save a bit of the hearing loss since body will be exponentiallly louder.

I dont know why i didnt ask. I didnt see any or any signs like most places have. They did have them and at 75 cents which is an odd price point. I guess the damage was already mostly done after full of hell's set but may save a bit of the hearing loss since body will be exponentiallly louder.

Ah! Well, hopefully you're not damaged beyond repair :) I just can't do shows without them anymore after I saw Tombs and couldn't hear for 3 days.

I keep a pair in my jacket always, and keep a tube of them in my car in case they fall out of my jacket pocket.

$.75 is a suuuuper weird price for them.

I am beyond the point of repair long term wise. Way too many shows standing right in front of speakers when i was young and stupid. Any more i usually hang towards the back and throw earplugs in when its a hole in the wall type venue, like tonight was. Some of the bigger places i dont get as crushed at. I learned over time you can actually enjoy the show the same or more with less ear damage near the back of the bar as you do standing 5 feet from the band. Who knew!

The body decided to just start playing with no real signal they were good to go and i had a good 30 seconds without ear plugs in and holy hell they were loud. Top 3 loudest behind sunn and swans.

My dad, who has seen me go to shows for like 15 years now actually sent me an article from i think the new york times talking about earplugs that still provide the best quality of sound and best protection. The pair that was voted across the board is like 20 bucks and just looks like wireless ear buds you listen to music with. Im gonna order a pair. Ill find a link tomorrow and post it for any who are interested.

I am beyond the point of repair long term wise. Way too many shows standing right in front of speakers when i was young and stupid. Any more i usually hang towards the back and throw earplugs in when its a hole in the wall type venue, like tonight was. Some of the bigger places i dont get as crushed at. I learned over time you can actually enjoy the show the same or more with less ear damage near the back of the bar as you do standing 5 feet from the band. Who knew!

The body decided to just start playing with no real signal they were good to go and i had a good 30 seconds without ear plugs in and holy hell they were loud. Top 3 loudest behind sunn and swans.

My dad, who has seen me go to shows for like 15 years now actually sent me an article from i think the new york times talking about earplugs that still provide the best quality of sound and best protection. The pair that was voted across the board is like 20 bucks and just looks like wireless ear buds you listen to music with. Im gonna order a pair. Ill find a link tomorrow and post it for any who are interested.

I'm interested. I had a good pair for a long time but ended up losing one. I can't remember what the brand was, but I think they were around that price point.

I got mine over the weekend. Did yours come with Weedeater rolling papers? I got two packs and I'm going to try the papers out either today or tomorrow.

Yah, mine came with Rolling Papers as well even though I ordered the only version that didn't specifically say it came with papers (I figured they would as it would be odd to only have 1 version not come with them).  Finally listened to the album though.  After the first listen I really wasn't overly excited with it to be honest.  Needs a few more listens though before I cast my final judgement. 

Earplugs, I have to wear them now.  Way too many shows up front in my youth.  The final show without earplugs was when I saw Royal Thnder and Baroness and stood up front right next to the speakers for both bands.  Not overly loud bands by any means, but I couldn't hear out of my right ear for 3 days.  It rang for about two weeks and since then my hearing is definitely much worse out of that ear.  I was legitimately worried I'd never hear anything out of that ear again.  So now, earplugs, always.  I bought a massive box of the cheap disposable ones, but I'd be interested in that link so I can have a decent pair.

Yup. I bit on Horsehunter today, but MER is solid people, who put out awesome stuff and hook up their customers. Plus it was like $26 shipped for a kickass looking double LP.

I think we're in the same boat though.

You will be very happy with that Horsehunter record. A bit pricey, but at least you feel like you got something. I have to resist buying variants of that one.

Oh i have been more than happy with horsehunter. I grabbed that 1st /50 press and it has been on fairly heavy rotation since it came in.

On a side note my ears are only partially ringing from that show last night. I did finally realize that after about 9 billion times seeing full of hell(they are from central PA so would play like every hardcore show in pittsburgh it seems when they first started) i just dont have the patience for that type of stuff live anymore. I know they are kinda unique with the grind/hardcore/power electronics thing but after about 3 songs i was pretty over it.

Bought a pair. I figure they gotta be better than a crumpled up bar napkin. Thanks!

I get these for free from work, but I think I may invest in a custom molded pair in a a couple months. Apparently they are relatively inexpensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-MAX-30-Corded-Earplugs/dp/B000E2609Y/

Also Anyone else hitting up Psycho Fest this weekend?

Those look alot like what they had last night and they were just awful for me. I had to like contort and jam them. Better than nothing though