Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

Conan crushed my skull last night. No vinyl at the mercy table though, was hoping for at least the Slomatics split. Picked up Samothrace at Roadburn for a cool $20 though. They were great even with a short set. Mantar was ok, didn't blow me away.

NO VINYL?!!! That is weak. You would think they would have had something. I don't know why bands don't do more tour pressings. I mean all you have to do is make some sort of hand numbered foldover cover and you can charge more and sell more to suckers like myself. Any cool shirts?

NO VINYL?!!! That is weak. You would think they would have had something. I don't know why bands don't do more tour pressings. I mean all you have to do is make some sort of hand numbered foldover cover and you can charge more and sell more to suckers like myself. Any cool shirts?

Yeah they had good shirts, about 6-7 different ones. The tour shirt has a variation of the Slomatics split artwork, so I snagged one of those. Also patches, pins, etc.

My "mail I'm waiting for" dates notes looks something like this:

May?

Late May?

May 25th release, shipped from Europe

Shipped(due this week)

Shipped from Europe(due???)

Shipped(due next week)

I'm getting impatient.

Lucky for me I've only got that Holy Mountain and the Jimi Hendrix tribute. Both coming in....who knows. Errrrm. I did also preorder the new Faith no more album from like 3 different places. I also got two nick caves in yesterday that I forgot we're coming. This never gets better...

Ps. Amazon 1-click preorder should be illegal >_<

Lucky for me I've only got that Holy Mountain and the Jimi Hendrix tribute. Both coming in....who knows. Errrrm. I did also preorder the new Faith no more album from like 3 different places. I also got two nick caves in yesterday that I forgot we're coming. This never gets better...

Ps. Amazon 1-click preorder should be illegal >_<

Holy Mountain is: "May?"

That Knapsack PO IS "late May?"

DangerDOOM is the other one

At least UFOMAMMUT should be here this week. ::Sigh:: it's coming with one of those $8 "blemished" Elliott Smith - From a Basement On the Hill so we'll see how that goes

got my copy of ufomammut yesterday and the jacket was mangled to hell...lp was fine somehow... so goes purchasing the majority of your records off the internet

Meanwhile I got my latest order from magnetic eye with a handwritten note, packed like it contained fine china being shipped to Antarctica, an extra 10", an extra EP, tons of stickers and more download codes to pass along to others.  The quality covers, printed inner sleeves, and fantastic looking records would be enough to keep me coming back but their customer service and general awesomeness makes them one of my favorite labels... just hope they keep adding more bands I dig as I think I've ran out of stuff to buy from him.

got my copy of ufomammut yesterday and the jacket was mangled to hell...lp was fine somehow... so goes purchasing the majority of your records off the internet

Meanwhile I got my latest order from magnetic eye with a handwritten note, packed like it contained fine china being shipped to Antarctica, an extra 10", an extra EP, tons of stickers and more download codes to pass along to others. The quality covers, printed inner sleeves, and fantastic looking records would be enough to keep me coming back but their customer service and general awesomeness makes them one of my favorite labels... just hope they keep adding more bands I dig as I think I've ran out of stuff to buy from him.

Magnetic Eye and STB are my top two labels to buy from. They both rule. Just waiting for that next Summoner album!!!

Good to hear something positive for a change. MER indeed seems like its run by one solid dude.

I just finally put in an order for the Horsehunter which is my first from them, excluding the yet-to-be-released Hendrix tribute. They've lowered their ITL shipping rates as well so it's a bit easier to buy from them now. The only thing I dislike is that their bandcamp site didn't allow specifying the variant for this album so am holding my breath for the brown with splatter. That thing looks amazing. Shipping june or july though so that's still a long ways off.

4 copies still unspoken for !

http://store.merhq.com/album/caged-in-flesh

tumblr_noad83unld1siie31o1_540.jpg

Saw Graveyard and Clutch last night despite having surgery on my leg 2 hours earlier.  haha.  Sound was shit for Graveyard, but still enjoyed watching them.  Sadly the crowd seemed disinterested, but considering this is Iowa Im not suprised.  There is a reason good tours often skip playing here.  This was my 4th time seeing Clutch, who were awesome as always.  Heard a few new songs, the last of which was so fucking good.  Got me way stoked for the new album.  I left before Mastodon.  I've seen them plenty and never got into Once More Round The Sun.  Considering the tour is in support of that I knew they wouldn't play much of their back catalog.  My buddy who stayed said they played nothing from Remission, 1 song from Leviathan, 2 from Blood Mountain, 2 from Crack The Skye, and the rest was new jams.  Glad I left early.  Had they played Mother Puncher, Workhorse, or I Am Ahab I might have regretted leaving.

Got my Weedeater in the mail, just wish my receiver wasn't currently having issues so I could listen to it.

The only bad thing about MER is that they make me want to variant collect. Fuck that newest Summoner - Atlantian variant is gorgeous.

http://merchnow.com/products/198022/atlantian-white-w-multicolor-splatter

Part of why I like them:

I ordered both Summoner records and they came with a handwritten not saying that the sleeves on Phoenix came split from the factory with an apology, and a MoFi sleeve. Now, I don't really care about split printed inners, shit happens, but he was really rad about it and he sent me a free copy of that Akuma record just for shits. Awesome dude.

The only bad thing about MER is that they make me want to variant collect. Fuck that newest Summoner - Atlantian variant is gorgeous.

http://merchnow.com/products/198022/atlantian-white-w-multicolor-splatter

Part of why I like them:

I ordered both Summoner records and they came with a handwritten not saying that the sleeves on Phoenix came split from the factory with an apology, and a MoFi sleeve. Now, I don't really care about split printed inners, shit happens, but he was really rad about it and he sent me a free copy of that Akuma record just for shits. Awesome dude.

Yeah, the guy is really cool. It's why I finally bought the Hendrix cover album. Love Hendrix, but I'm not usually into that kinda crap. Didn't do the Helmet one because that didn't make any sense to me. Summoner is the shit.

maybe its me but vocals ruin horsehunter for me. had it been all instrumental it would be an easy buy but vocals make it an easy pass for me. just cant

It IS you . . .  :) . I can understand not liking the vocals, but they are perfect for the tunes, in my opinion.

Saw Graveyard and Clutch last night despite having surgery on my leg 2 hours earlier. haha. Sound was shit for Graveyard, but still enjoyed watching them. Sadly the crowd seemed disinterested, but considering this is Iowa Im not suprised. There is a reason good tours often skip playing here. This was my 4th time seeing Clutch, who were awesome as always. Heard a few new songs, the last of which was so fucking good. Got me way stoked for the new album. I left before Mastodon. I've seen them plenty and never got into Once More Round The Sun. Considering the tour is in support of that I knew they wouldn't play much of their back catalog. My buddy who stayed said they played nothing from Remission, 1 song from Leviathan, 2 from Blood Mountain, 2 from Crack The Skye, and the rest was new jams. Glad I left early. Had they played Mother Puncher, Workhorse, or I Am Ahab I might have regretted leaving.

Got my Weedeater in the mail, just wish my receiver wasn't currently having issues so I could listen to it.

I skipped this tour because i would pretty much be paying 35 bucks to see graveyard again. I never really got into clutch(not that i think they are bad but more just they exist and have heard a few songs that were fine but didnt drive me to go buy a bunch of their records). That new mastodon really didnt win me over and based on setlists i saw they were heavy on the new record which is expected. They sometimes bust out really awesome old stuff in their sets (played hearts alive when i saw them last year) and sometimes just usual stuff that is cool but not jaw droppingly surprising.

Mastodon always seems to bring really great support on their tours over the years though. Bands that deserve a bit more exposure to the mainstream. (graveyard,kvelertak,kylesa,intronaut, dillinger escape plan to name a few)