Stoner/ Doom Metal Discussion Thread

The big thing it seems, which has been mentioned/ rightfully bitched about a few times is alot of releases in this genre are imports. Stb is putting out basic pressings for what 15-20 and still making it a really nice quality. The dopelord i bought at a "steal" for 27 shipped had to pay for it to get here, import, blah blah. It sucks and really make you be selective on what you buy.

Lexicon, you say that every few months. Just admit it - you've got a problem. :-)

I KNOW I do. I'm hoping that if I keep repeating this as a mantra it will take. I'm getting a tiny bit better, but still definitely have a problem. I have gotten a little pickier in the last month or so. I'm not just jumping on things without even thinking about it. One day at a time.

At least it's cheaper than what I paid a couple of weeks ago! Also, it's an import, so there is that excuse.

I have to say that I am reaching that saturation point with these $20+ records. Especially when I see other labels putting out colored vinyl for $15 and under. Give me two versions: 1. Extremely limited color and 2. Pretty limited color. I also don't need anything else with it except the record and jacket. Then, repress it in a different color. I'm getting gimmicked to death by record label antics. I need to start saying, "NO" with my money more often.

I've gotten much better about it. I have somehow kept myself from picking up any riding easy stuff lately. Been just waiting out some POs for a while. Probably bought a couple things I didn't need on RSD, but having a spare copy of Fox Confessor isn't a bad thing...

I actually either own, or have on the way most of my "must own" records, so I'll have some free cash sometime to pick up new stuff I haven't really listened to and some older stuff to fill out collections.

Main major wants I'm missing are Sabbath Vol. 4, and Sabotage, and a couple of the older Neko Case albums. really none of those are insane needs for me though.

Some upcoming new stuff and reissues I'll pick up too.

New Goatsnake is up for preorder.

http://goatsnake.southernlord.com/products

That new album + both represses bundle sure is a bargain. 62$ for three double LPS...not bad. All those LPs looking mighty fine with them colours schemes as well.

Goatsnake is one of my top "wish I could get into them" bands.

Right there with you man. I've known of their existence for long and listened to the track off their newest album but it was just too 'old man metal' sounding to me. Absolutely no offense to anyone who loves them. I'm sure there'll be a time when I'll be digging them, probably just too young to really get into hem at this point  ^_^

Jammin the new Acid King that I just picked up from the postal office. Accidentally put the needle on at 45rpm and I was very surprised for a second to hear they had gone fully sweet psych for this record. I am glad that is not the case.

The download included is for 192kbs files which is more than strange in this day and age. Weird package as well. Double LP gatefold with a vinyl pocket only on one side. -_- Not too bothered by it though. The record is insanely good.

Also, Ghold's Of Ruin is up for orders. So stoked for this to finally be released. Expecting big things from this duo.

im glad hearthstone takes up some of my time from this site that and the fact that when i get home my phone doesnt get signal till late night by then im sleepy. only at work can i use my interwebs. that goya neon green looks nice too bad i dont fuck with 7". give me splits or full lps. on to the next stb release

Goatsnake update...posted this on this on the VC Message Board too:

The 3 pack is sold out.  But you can still order all 3 items separately (which I just did...so much for waiting for Friday payday...I can live without the wristband).

The Black Age Blues black-blue swirl is down to 33 copies too, in case you are on the fence to purchase.

http://goatsnake.southernlord.com/products/view_department/vinyl

I feel really late to the game but stumbled upon Morne today and man they rule.

Jammed this on the car ride home from work:

Good stuff.

Morne is \m/

If you're interested in their vinyl stuff, you can get them @ Armageddon Shop https://armageddonshop.com/

They also have released the new Churchburn LP as well, which I highly recommend

Armageddon has been pretty cool to buy from.

I'm pretty pumped about tonight. I'm going to two shows. First, I'll be seeing SubRosa/The Body open for Full of Hell. I'll probably leave after them and head over to a different venue to see Solstafir.

i had to miss the solstafir show locally last week and was bummed.  let me know how that body/full of hell show is.  going next wednesday!

Had not heard Morne before... excellent stuff.

Anyone that ordered the new Ufomammut get shipping notice?  For some reason I thought that was shipping this week

I got a Morne album a few years ago, but I found it to be boring after a few spins.

As far as Ufomammut, I got my vinyl and cd about two-three weeks ago.

I'm pretty pumped about tonight. I'm going to two shows. First, I'll be seeing SubRosa/The Body open for Full of Hell. I'll probably leave after them and head over to a different venue to see Solstafir.

I'm not sure how I feel about Solstafir, yet. Just recently started to investigate. Sounds like Sigur Ros and Coldplay joined to form their version of a metal band. Their videos are pretty epic, I just can't decide if this is calculated fluff or good stuff or both. They are playing by me sometime soon. Are they good live?

I'm not sure how I feel about Solstafir, yet. Just recently started to investigate. Sounds like Sigur Ros and Coldplay joined to form their version of a metal band. Their videos are pretty epic, I just can't decide if this is calculated fluff or good stuff or both. They are playing by me sometime soon. Are they good live?

Same here. They came through these parts and I had a ticket and all, tried to actively listen and get into them few weeks prior. I was low on funds at the time and didn't have the energy to go see them in another city on a workday so sold my ticket prior to the gig. A local fellow told me that they weren't anything special live when he saw them so that might've sealed the deal.

Calculated fluff sure is an interesting term. I find Otta quite enjoyable actually but it just doesn't scream 'masterpiece' as everyone seemed to be raving on about it at some point. An interesting combination but it just doesn't float my boat. Guess I just can't get into melancholic ballad-style songs and the guitar sounds just stand too close to generic radio rock.

Anybody listened to Motherslug? Just noticed they will have an STB style pressing coming out very soon. Not familiar with them but just posting in case it peaks anyone's interest.

http://nosliprecords.bigcartel.com/

Also, Seventh Rule will be selling the last pressing of Indian's The Unquiet Sky. Looks as good or even better as the previous variant. Looks so good it's istigating the silenced variant collector in me. There's still copies of the previous pressing available as well though.

11182212_1102431479783303_26121611057504

Also, Seventh Rule will be selling the last pressing of Indian's The Unquiet Sky. Looks as good or even better as the previous variant. Looks so good it's istigating the silenced variant collector in me. There's still copies of the previous pressing available as well though.

11182212_1102431479783303_26121611057504

That is a sweet copy. If I didn't already have the 1st press below I would get this.

tumblr_namhlbNi7Q1s7yvjbo1_1280.jpg

Got my acid king today. Holy weird packaging. One side gatefold for a doule lp and a huge assed poster. Great looking record though.

also i started a sale thread but wanted to let yall know I have a few stoner/doom things up for sale.  Sword, High on Fire, probably others I cant remember at this moment.