So why has brand new's touring been so erratic over the last few years? What do they have against full tours? Why always the sporadic, random dates? Seems unusual to me.

At least half of the band is married now. They're in their mid-thirties. I don't think that spending 300 days on the road is really what they want to do anymore. 

I mean countless bands have families and still find a month or two do perform a tour circuit every year or so. Wilco comes to mind as Jeff Tweedy is a bit of an idol of mine in regards to a family man who also succeeds in giving his career all we can (and I'm aware he's taken to acting jobs and sporadic solo gigs again recently, but the man's devotion to both family and career is admirable.) And I was just having a conversation with members of Mogwai about their marriages, all the way on the other side of the world from their home. I'm not saying us fans deserve shows more than they deserve time with their families, but I do feel there's countless musicians who still keep touring a part of their career despite family commitments.

With that said if I was a touring musician I'd put my wife and family far before career obligations so I get it. Just noticing for years and years now they've been really spotty on performances.

• 1 month later...

https://twitter.com/brandnewrock

tickets go on sale in 30 minutes.  new dates!!!!!

Thanks for this. Would have completely missed out. 

Buying Birmingham tickets. 1300 person venue - seems pretty small for them.

Changed my mind. It's like a two and a half hour drive and I've seen them a ton. 

I'll wait for Atlanta.