Greatest guitarist of our generation.

atticus

• 5 weeks later...

You mean Michael Angelo Batio...aka Mr.2/4-neck wanker... always have to laugh when I see him, ridiculous shit! :D

He came and played a show in the auditorium at my high school's sister school when I was younger. Sat front row and caught a guitar pick he threw out. Crazy guitarist and nice guy. 

Tosin Abasi of Animals As Leaders seems the obvious choice to me. A good balance between technical facility and good, creative writing. That being said I prefer to listen to music with less technical facility and more emotion/honesty so I can't really say who my favourite is but if the thread is 'Greatest guitarist of our generation.' then, yeah you can't really beat Tosin Abasi, sorry.

/thread.

Dimebag Darrell. Could have outplayed everyone already mentioned and gets extra points for dying on stage and being buried with Eddie Van Halen's guitar.

I win the internet for the day.

As much as I LOVE Dime (from the very first moment I heared the first notes of Cemetary Gates), I don't think he could ever outplay Petrucci...