VC's Best of the Year 2013 List (you vote!)

LP/Albums:

- Sed Non Satiata - Mappō

- The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer

- Old Gray - An Autobiography

Sed Non Satiata's album simply surpassed any and all high expectations that their fans had almost effortlessly. It's a fantastically written and recorded album from start to finish and really shows these guys have a considerable amount of talent that they've consistently brought to the table. It's worth mentioning their re-issue of Le Ciel De Notre Enfance + Split w/Daïtro as well, which also came out this year also but unfortunately I can't include it in that listing as there are other albums that deserve mention.

The Dillinger Escape Plan has always impressed me with their ability to remain unpredictable. At first, I hated this album. It was hard to digest and seemed to be a little too "disorganized" for even what I expect from DEP. It probably took about half-a-dozen spins before the flow and songwriting really opened up and made sense. Though for some DEP will always remain "technical sounding noise" or impossible to digest, One Of Us Is The Killer is a perfect next-step for a group that has remained quite consistent over their last few releases and really showcases what I consider their "conceptual song writing" extremely well.

Old Gray rather surprised me. It's probably one of the simplest and most sincere albums I've heard in a while. I really enjoy it when artists make use of multiple vocalists and harmonies and these guys have nailed that formula down. I think it's one of the few albums that I found myself singing the lyrics to at random points of the day. Despite their intention, they always seemed to brighten my day in some odd way. I dig that. Plus, I love it when bands include different instruments like violin to add a bit more mood and atmosphere to a song, even if only for a short time. Thoroughly well written songs and suitable lyrics from beginning to end.

7 Inch/EP:

- Adobe Homes & Innards - Split

- My Fictions & The Saddest Landscape - When You Are Close I Am Gone

Adobe Homes simply kicks ass. They remind me of a lot of earlier screamo bands that leaned heavily on jazz influence with the guitars and melodies. Even though it's only one track, they always leave me wanting more, and more, and more. I can't speak highly enough about these guys or their discography thus far.

The only reason I include The Saddest Landscape on this list is due to the other half of the split by My Fictions. TSL has always been consistently decent at best but never mind-blowing or ground breaking, in my opinion. I sometimes wish they'd focus more on writing thoroughly great songs and less on recording/releasing a large quantity of songs every year on a flood of various color-ways and represses. It's kind of ridiculous. Either way a lot like Adobe Homes, My Fictions only needs a single track to showcase their in-your-face brand of almost hardcore influenced screamo. This was probably my most anticipated split of the year simply because My Fictions has blown me away ever since their debut split with Aviator only a few short years ago.

Reissues:

- The Bled - Pass the Flask

- Atmosphere - Seven's Travels 10 Year Anniversary Edition

- Nirvana - In Utero 2013 Mix

Pass The Flask. Need I really say more? This album was and still is probably my all-time favorite hardcore album. I always hoped one day it would see a nice vinyl pressing and thanks to Hot Topic (which I still find sort of ironic), I got exactly what I always hoped for. There is simply not a single part of this album that sucks and the silver vinyl matches the artwork perfectly. I've probably spun this record a dozen times since receiving it barely 2 weeks ago and I'm happy I have a back-up copy 'cuz I'll probably actually need it in a few years. I don't know what else to say. These guys destroy it live and somehow managed to record that energy in a way that still baffles me. Buy. This. Record.

Atmosphere has always been my favorite hip-hop artist next to Aesop Rock. I don't think anyone could compare to either artist's song-writing abilities and I have always especially enjoyed Atmosphere's way of storytelling. This Seven's Travels 10 Year Anniversary Edition finally gives us the album as Slug intended it with the original artwork that was removed just before it's original release. Also included is an LP of bonus tracks which any Atmosphere fan simply will foam at the mouth over. The flow. The lyrics. The beats. It's such a great album and it deserved this beautiful reissue compliments of Rhymesayers Entertainment. Tone arm over, stylus down, and get lost in the Atmosphere.

Nirvana has always been a massive influence on my life and my musical interests. They really opened the door to the world of alternative rock for me in the late 80s and early 90s and probably without them I wouldn't have the appreciation I have for music today. Such an ironic statement to me as nobody really considers Nirvana anything but a band that was extremely good at writing simple, catchy songs. That's the beauty of their discography though. It's so simple, so accessible, and we all recognize that they're one of the few artists that simply blew the entire music industry away and changed the course of music almost overnight. I'm glad I was there to witness that amazing moment in music history. Having one of my favorite albums of theirs remixed worried me a little but I love what the result was. It's almost like a different album and I love hearing this alternate interpretation of it.

Most Overrated:

- Deafhaven - Sunbather

- Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Sunbather is a good album. Let me get that out of the way first as I know everyone is probably going to disagree with me on this one. But even after almost a dozen listens, I fail to see what apparently everyone else seems to hear or recognize. I simply cannot wrap my head around the buzz and popularity of this album. It's almost like playing Where's Waldo? trying to find a "Best of 2013" list that doesn't include this very high in the rankings. It's funny to me because I really enjoy this style of music. Either way, I feel this record doesn't deserve all the hype and "fanboyism" that it's received. Good, sure. Noteworthy, maybe. Album of the Year? Give me a break. I guess to each his own.

I realize Daft Punk managed to release one of the best-selling albums of the year with Random Access Memories. I agree that it does have some good tracks and I'll be the first to admit I really loved the debut single "Get Lucky". Either way, I feel this is another album that's gotten far more recognition that it deserves. Course, I've never been a big Daft Punk fan so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, I'm sure they're stoked on having such a critically-acclaimed release and one of the best selling vinyl records of the year.

Guest Justin Maheiny

Most Overrated:

I realize Daft Punk managed to release one of the best-selling albums of the year with Random Access Memories. I agree that it does have some good tracks and I'll be the first to admit I really loved the debut single "Get Lucky". Either way, I feel this is another album that's gotten far more recognition that it deserves. Course, I've never been a big Daft Punk fan so maybe that has something to do with it. Either way, I'm sure they're stoked on having such a critically-acclaimed release and one of the best selling vinyl records of the year.

I think this album proves that Daft Punk is waaaaaaay better at sampling others' work and turning them into catchy dance songs than writing their own stuff. The Giorgio Moroder song is embarrassing. I'm not a Tiesto fan but I totally agree with his whole "the music doesn't deliver on the hype" remarks when he was asked about this album in an interview.

Most Overrated:

- Deafhaven - Sunbather

- Kind of disagree

- Agree

I still haven't realized Sunbather's full potential. The first time I heard it was like "oooh cool, I dig it" but never found myself going back to it after like half a listen. After seeing all the hype, I revisited it again, and got more of a feel for it. I don't think it's the greatest album ever, or even of the year, but now I find myself going back to it almost every day, and on each listen, I like it more than I did the listen before. I have a feeling this will continue to creep up on my list.

I completely agree with RAM though. Few really good tracks. A lot of meh. I hardly find myself not skipping through it or not cherry picking the songs I want to listen to off it.

Guest Justin Maheiny

none of the crap that anyone in here is talking about

Pusha T, Major Lazer & Run the Jewels!? Mine too!! I was just too embarrassed to admit it.

2013 Albums:

1. Typhoon - White Lighter

2. The National - Trouble Will Find Me

3. Phosphorescent - Muchacho

Reissues:

1. Songs: Ohia - Magnolia Electric Co.

2. Josh Ritter - Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter

3. (tie) Damien Jurado - Where Shall You Take Me?

(tie) Frightened Rabbit - Midnight Organ Fight (Expanded Edition)

No real order here

Grant Hart - The Argument

Marnie Stern - Chronicles of Marnia

QOTSA- ...Like Clockwork

Neko Case - The Harder I Fight...

Melvins - Tres Carbones

The Blind Shake - Key to a False Door

Kitten Forever - Pressure

Mudhoney - Vanishing Point

Quasi - Mole City

Nails - Abandon All Life

Baptists - Bushcraft

Uncle Acid - Mind Control

Grails - Black Tar Prophecies Vol. 4,5,6

Teenage Moods - Grow

Colleen Green - Sock it to Me

La Luz - It's Alive

Reissues:

Devo: Hardcore Devo volumes Vol. 1 and 2

Purple Snow: Forecasting the Minneapolis Sound

Pixies - Trompe Le Monde (MoFi)

Weezer - Pinkerton (MoFi)

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I was searching for some information about the upcoming Wes Anderson Vinyl Box set and came across VINYLCOLLECTIVE by pure accident. I really dig this page...

I am pretty aware that I'm late with adding my 2013 favs but wanted to do it anyways ;-)

1_Dean Blunt – The Redeemer (Hippos In Tanks)

2_Forest Swords - Engravings (Tri Angle)

3_Bill Callahan – Dream River (Drag City)

4_Huerco S - Colonial Patterns (Software Records)

5_Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement – Black Magic Cannot Cross Water (Blackest Ever Black)

6_Laura Mvula - Sing To The Moon (Sony Records)

7_Moin – EP (Blackest Ever Black)

8_José James – No Beginning No End (Blue Note)

9_Lonnie Holley - Just Before Music (Dust To Digital)
10-DJ Koze – Amygdala (Pampa)

Worth to mention 2013:

Axel Boman – Family Vacation (Studio Barnhus)

Speedy Ortiz – Major Arcana (Carpark Records)

Syclopse – A Blink Of An Eye (Running Back)

Colleen - The Weighing of the heart (Second Language Music)

True Widow – Circumambulation

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away (Bad Seeds Ltd)

Rocketnumbernine - WeYouWeYou (Smalltown Supersound)

Polvo - Siberia (Merge)

Best reissues 2013:

1. Arthur Russell – Another Thought (Arc Light Editions)

2. Leven Signs – Hemp Is Here (Digitalis)

3. Billy Bragg & Wilco – Mermaid Sessions Vol. 1, 2, 3

4. Can Catalog Vinyl Box Set (Spoon)

5. Mad Season – Above (Legacy)

6. Natural Snow Buildings – Daughters of Darkness (BaDaBing)

7. Robbie Basho -Visions of the country

8. The Velvet Underground – White Light white Heat (Polydor)

9. Jorge Velez – MMT Tape Series (Home Recordings 1996-1999) (Rush Hour)

10. Vox Populi – Half Dead Ganja Music (Pacific City)