Post Your Record Storage Area

Another thing - I am most likely getting a different shelf unit for my gear (the black/silver shelf that's holding the amp, deck etc.). This one is good, but I want something vertical.

If this happens, would anyone be interested in taking this off my hands? Gotta be local, since it weighs over 100 lbs. (leg tubes are filled with lead shot for more sound/vibration isolation).

PM me if interested and I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

The acrylic is working as a sound/vibration isolator. Had it custom cut and polished at a place that does bullet proof "glass" for all the packaged goods stores here in N. Philly! 3/4" acrylic (which is close to neutral in transmission) + 8 moongel drum head damper pads underneath it to suspend it above the 'table shelf. The moongel pads are made out of sorbothane, which is the same shit that is marketed for 20x the price as an "audiophile" isolation product. Works very well.

I had one made for each component; isolation is important for more than just turntables and CD transports.

I could easily find myself getting carried away with some of this stuff but then I realize that I probably don't need to spend thousands of dollars to listen to, oh I don't know a Future Virgins 7". Not to take away from your setup there, it's amazing. If I had the means I'd do it, for now though I think I'll just look and salivate.

How long has it taken you to put all that together?

Hey I hope I wasn't coming off as if I thought this was the only way to listen to music.

Sorry if it did.

When I was younger I played my 7" eps on a crappy automatic table that probably cost $90. (I then found out that that was damaging the records!) When I started collecting and investing in my records more it seemed silly to not invest in what I played them on - after all if I am gonna spend $50 on an old Blue Note LP, I don't want to damage it and I want it to sound tit. Nowadays I buy mostly jazz, and that is just a type of music that begs for more and more out of your rig.

I don't know if you're referring to the equipment or the vinyl - I've been buying gear since college ('90's) and vinyl since 5th grade (Cookie Puss!). If you get into fine tuning the sound you can extract from your vinyl, believe me, it becomes quite an addiction, so watch out.

I didn't mean to imply you were an elitist audio snob (Kyle) or anything I think you have really nice setup. I was referring to your equipment and the reference to the lead shot filled table legs and the acrylic sound dampener thing it's all really awesome. I'm not quite there yet but I think my next step is building a tube amp.

Looks nice. I personally would've gone with the black drawers and doors, but that's just me. Nice setup overall.

i really didnt want them but it was a compromise and it was my wifes call........she wanted them. i told her that as my collection grows those pictures of family and us and her precious moments are gone.

How are the drawers/doors holding up on that Expedit? Last I saw, those add-ons are from another IKEA series.

A search of Expedit on the IKEA website brings up the door and drawer, both labeled as "Expedit", so I think they're from the same series. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by series)

How are the drawers/doors holding up on that Expedit? Last I saw, those add-ons are from another IKEA series - having assembled many of these units in my tenure @ IKEA, those drawers always seemed a tad flaky.

But, I've been interested in adding them to my unit.

they seem to be holding up fine but i have only had the unit for about month. the drawers are alittle small for my liking but my wife wanted them. also they are from the expedite series. hope that helps.

How are the drawers/doors holding up on that Expedit? Last I saw, those add-ons are from another IKEA series.

A search of Expedit on the IKEA website brings up the door and drawer, both labeled as "Expedit", so I think they're from the same series. (Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by series)

Duh. I guess I could've searched that too! (Part of me is still boycotting going anywhere near IKEA due to a bad taste in my mouth from working there).

Thanks Adam.

• jhulud locked this topic