Recommend Me Some Good Books!

Guest falloutcollapse

Chuck Palahniuk - all. But I recommend starting w/ Survivor[/i]

agreed he is one of my favorite authors and Survivor is by far one of his best and I am not a hipster by any means ;)

i loved survivor, it was the first one i read by him, but i think i liked invisible monsters better.

id recommend other stuff jd salinger wrote besides cather in the rye. all his books are great. also bukowski. hollywood is the last one of his i read, and its somewhat autobiographical...so not entirely fiction

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you liked Catcher in the Rye, check out other J.D. Salinger books - Nine Stories and Raise High the Roof-beam, Carpenters.

a lot of the books i would have recommended have already been suggested, but check out

Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident with the Dog in the Night-time.

[the title says it all]

I'm going to echo everyone else who said 1984. You absolutely have to read that book. I'm also going to say On The Road by Jack Kerouac. A tough read but it was a cool book. Hey Nostradomus is a quick, killer read. I'm also going to echo Palahniuk. Survivor is most definitely where'd I start. Then go to Choke or Lullaby. The Lord of the Rings series are awesome. And I personally love, though its kind of dark, The Invisible Man by Ellison. Lastly, I haven't finished it but its working itself out to be amazing is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad

^this selection is backed 100%

if you want an excellent book that may or may not be fiction...

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind by Chuck Barris

and if you like pictures in your books like I do...

Watchmen by Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons

Pride Of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan & Niko Henrichon

Sandman by Neil Gaiman & Various Artists

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991 by Michael Azerrad

^this selection is backed 100%

something cool about this was that it was either lying around / used as a prop in a suicide girl's photo set. i don't remember which girl, but i remember seeing that set at the time i was reading it, so i thought "holy shit, i'm reading that book"

but anyway,l i know you asked for something that's not science fiction, but if you ever decide to, a good place to start:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

and Selected Stories of Phillip K Dick (among the short stories are the ones used as a basis for the movies Paycheck, Minority Report and Total Recall)

and other stuff:

Despite Everything by Aaron Cometbus

Love Is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time by Rob Sheffield

Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

agreed....plus

Kafka on the Shore or The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

or

Cloud Atlas by David Micthell

also, currently reading A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin, it is part of an epic series, but great if you like sci-fi/fantasy hybrids with a number of plot lines, characters and tons of double crossing.

People's history of the United States by Howard Zinn

Jesus fucking christ. When I first got that book, I was quite intimidated. (At the time, was the largest book I had read). Can't say I care too much for the guy's opinions, though it was interesting nonetheless.

I'd recommend Glenn Beck's "An Inconvenient Book". If you've ever seen his show on CNN Headline News, or heard his radio talk show, you know what to expect. It's his views on the issues of today. (Which I found really interesting.)

This has already been mentioned, but I can't back it enough.....

Charles Bukowski-Post Office.

I'm actually reading this right now and am really into it. I've never read Bukowski before.

One of the best books I've ever read that no one talks about it is A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving. It's pretty long but such a good book. The movie Simon Birch is based on it and both Lawgwagon & Jimmy Eat World have written songs about it.