Fireside Bowl documentary

tumblr_n03flxJPhq1r7op6yo1_500.jpg

many of you know i’ve been working on a documentary on the fireside bowl for the past year and a half. as a thank you to everybody who has given me their time and sat down to do an interview on camera with me, i have given them an original bowling pin from fireside.

for the first time ever, i’m making a very, very small number of these available to the public to offset the costs of not only the documentary, but a brand new website as well. up until this point, every penny put toward production has come from my own pocket. by buying one of these 10 pins, not only will you get a piece of history, you’ll be helping to preserve it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/original-bowling-pin-from-fireside-bowl-chicago-/191052722448?

the goal of the website is to list every show ever played at fireside. each date will be a click-able link to a new window where users can upload photos, videos, set lists, posters, fliers, etc. from each individual show. there will also be a section where fans and musicians can write their own memories of each specific show, and of the fireside in general. it is a huge undertaking, but should be a pretty incredible resource for everybody once it’s up and running.

if you’d like to donate, or help in any way, feel free to get in touch with me here or at [email protected]. e-mail is definitely going to get you a faster response, or if we're friends on facebook you can hit me up there, too. anything you’re willing to spare (whether it is your time, your stories, some of you old artifacts, or just cold hard cash) is greatly appreciated.

it's still a LONG way from being done, but thanks! the plan is to do interviews for the next year or so, all the while compiling footage and photos. then spend 2015 editing, and hopefully have something ready for 2016. i've already done a ton of work on it, but there's still just so, so much more to be done.

It's fantastic that you're making a documentary about this place. I played there way back in the day when my band was touring and I know so many others have to. It's a legendary place that deserves to be documented. 

If you need any Audio Post work done, feel free to hit me up. It's what I do and I'd do it for free to help out. Good luck with the rest of the film!

To echo everyone else, this is such an amazing idea and project.  I spent so much time in my formative years at The Fireside, lived around the corner from it for a few years, opened for Candiria there... so many amazing memories.  I meet up with friends there every now and then to bowl a few games there, but it's just not the same as it was when it was used as a venue.

thanks so much for the positivity so far you guys. this project has been the last year of my life, and will be the next year or two minimum, so it's cool to know people are excited about it.

if you feel like scanning in any old photos or fliers or anything like that, email them over to me at [email protected]!

also, if you live in the Chicagoland area still and want to meet up, or need help with anything (possibly digitizing old VHS tapes or other recordings), get in touch!

Only managed to catch two shows here. I remember waiting in the fucking cold for what seemed like forever for the second Slapstick reunion show (TOTALLY worth it, btw). Also pulled a few gas n go's from Grand Rapids to Chicago and back so a buddy could interview MTX for a zine he contributed to. Both GREAT memories.

This is a huge undertaking...kudos to you for taking it on! Looking forward to the finished project and site!

I definitely came late to the party on the Fireside, my first show there was March of '99: The Hippos/Allister/First Grade Crush/The Beatdowns. Over the next few years, I saw Braid, No Knife, Mock Orange, Milemarker, the Faint, Camera Obscura, the Vue, Dillinger Four, Leatherface, Avail, Elliott, Gods Reflex, the Appleseed Cast, Mates Of State, Owen, the Stereo, the Gadjits, the Ghost, the Kills, etc. I fucking loved this place.

I consider myself lucky enough to be able to see a show there. While i was on tour w/ Finch they played there in late Oct/Early Sept of 2001 w/ Allister, The Starting Line, Rx Bandits & The Movielife.

I also have a awesome 7" of Against All Authority live at the Fireside that i bought while in high school.

I definitely came late to the party on the Fireside, my first show there was March of '99: The Hippos/Allister/First Grade Crush/The Beatdowns. Over the next few years, I saw Braid, No Knife, Mock Orange, Milemarker, the Faint, Camera Obscura, the Vue, Dillinger Four, Leatherface, Avail, Elliott, Gods Reflex, the Appleseed Cast, Mates Of State, Owen, the Stereo, the Gadjits, the Ghost, the Kills, etc. I fucking loved this place.

The Hippos sweet. I haven't listened to them in a long time. I'm going to listen to one of their albums now.

I consider myself lucky enough to be able to see a show there. While i was on tour w/ Finch they played there in late Oct/Early Sept of 2001 w/ Allister, The Starting Line, Rx Bandits & The Movielife.

I also have a awesome 7" of Against All Authority live at the Fireside that i bought while in high school.

I remember being at the show that AAA played when the ceiling came down.

Oh, the memories.... Reverend Horton Heat, Rocket From The Crypt, Slapstick Reunion show, Assorted Jelly Beans, Link 88 anyone?! (Ask me about that one, it was fucking rad!!), Link 80 a whole bunch, Converge, Hope Conspiracy, American Nightmare, Thrice, Boris The Sprinkler, Tiger Army, AFI, Good Riddance, Death By Stereo, Blue Meanies, Skokie...... Damn mind just went blank.

Frequented the Fireside from '94 to when it reverted back to an actual bowling alley. Sad day.

Oh, the memories.... Reverend Horton Heat, Rocket From The Crypt, Slapstick Reunion show, Assorted Jelly Beans, Link 88 anyone?! (Ask me about that one, it was fucking rad!!), Link 80 a whole bunch, Converge, Hope Conspiracy, American Nightmare, Thrice, Boris The Sprinkler, Tiger Army, AFI, Good Riddance, Death By Stereo, Blue Meanies, Skokie...... Damn mind just went blank.

Frequented the Fireside from '94 to when it reverted back to an actual bowling alley. Sad day.

From your list I'm willing to bet our paths crossed a couple times.

Slapstick, Blue Meanies and Link 80 for sure. 

Slapstick and Gil Mantera's Party Dream (2nd to last show, I believe) were my 2 favorite concerts at the Fireside Bowl for VERY different reasons, haha. 

scott heisel I swear to god... I've texted you and face booked you multiple times asking if you wanted to be involved haha! never got a response! I DEFINITELY want to interview you next time you come through Chicago.

hellbent, I just interviewed denis buckley this past Sunday and he told the story of Link 88!

everybody else, start thinking of some more memories, and get ready to share them on the website when it's up an running! the earliest incarnation should be up within the next two months, hopefully on the front end of that...