R.I.P. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

3arl

Rewatched The Master tonight. Such an amazing movie. It's hard and painful to realize that all Paul Thomas Anderson films from here on out will be without Philip Seymour Hoffman. Fuck, it's painful to realize ALL films will now be without Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The scene where he talks about wrestling a dragon was funny/odd when I saw it in theaters, but it almost brought me to tears this time. Now he's forever chasing the dragon. Rewatching Synecdoche, NY tomorrow and it'll probably make me bawl like a baby.

Rewatched The Master tonight. Such an amazing movie. It's hard and painful to realize that all Paul Thomas Anderson films from here on out will be without Philip Seymour Hoffman. Fuck, it's painful to realize ALL films will now be without Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The scene where he talks about wrestling a dragon was funny/odd when I saw it in theaters, but it almost brought me to tears this time. Now he's forever chasing the dragon. Rewatching Synecdoche, NY tomorrow and it'll probably make me bawl like a baby.

I didn't love The Master, but I thought his performance in it was top notch (as it always is).  Going to watch Synecdoche, NY tonight I think.  I haven't seen it yet.

I didn't love The Master, but I thought his performance in it was top notch (as it always is).  Going to watch Synecdoche, NY tonight I think.  I haven't seen it yet.

The Master is an odd movie. The performances and the cinematography immediately stand out, but the movie itself had to sit with me awhile before I truly appreciated it. It's far from my favorite Paul Thomas Anderson film, but it's probably the one I've thought about the most.

I've seen Synecdoche half a dozen times now and it always chokes me up. I remember I made a girl watch it while we were dating and her response when the credits started rolling was (through tears) "Why would you make me watch that?! I mean, thank you...but goddamit, why?" Just be prepared for Kaufman's "meta-ness" to be turned up to 11.