Brand New Question

I think Billy hit the nail on the head there. Tumblr has this huge effect on bands now, for better or worse.

Look at Neck Deep and Being As An Ocean. Balance & Composure. And no-one can forget the mighty titan that is La Dispute.

When one "cool" kid puts lyrics on top of a picture of nature, that's all it really takes.

Agreed. What Tumblr has done to music is both good and bad. It's amazing how popular being As An Ocean has gotten and that's awesome for them, but I hate seeing them on there constantly. That and I saw them a while ago and they were just awful

I am going to clarify my point about tumblr. I have been a fan of this band since 2003. Lots of people were. I know that they were a band with a push from AP (and even Rolling Stone) and landed TV spots before TDAG came out.

HOWEVER, the burst of people who obsess over this band from the new generation came from tumblr. Recent fans who weren't fans before Daisy became all about Brand New because of tumblr. I didn't pull that out of nowhere. I am a Brand New fanboy. I've seen them live 15 times since 2010, and I can tell you that since maybe 2011, the younger end of generation has definitely picked up on the hype, because of tumblr. 

Of course that isn't the only reason. Them being mysterious helps. Them influencing bands who later got big helps. But to simply deny that teenagers get into bands (in mass) via tumblr is simply incorrect. Man Overboard, La Dispute, The Story So Far, etc etc etc all got most of their buzz from that site, and even though Brand New has been a popular name far longer than tumblr has, it definitely helped introduce them to a new audience.