Brand New Question

@treverXrampage...

I live in St Louis as far from a coast as you can get and the show sold out in seconds. 

These guys are just as big in these fly over states.

Weird, maybe it's a Canada thing?

I don't think I've ever heard a Brand New song on the radio, maybe the college station?

thanks everyone for making this an actual discussion about this bands success and not other tangents. 

did AP do anything with Brand New? 

saw them in 01/02, that "rivalry" with TBS over adam hooking up with someones sister was fucking amazing.  definitely helped with both bands getting noticed.  no such thing as bad publicity, right?

Their first explosion was in 2002 when MTV2 started getting behind the band and playing "Jude Law And A Semester Abroad." The band were also tied to Atticus at the time, too, and pretty nuch anything associated with Atticus in the early 2000s sold like gangbusters. I booked Brand New in November 2001, on their first tour after YFW came out, and 7 people showed up. I next saw them in December 2002 in more or less the same market supporting the Movielife, and the show was completely sold out (500 cap room) and virtually everyone left as soon as Brand New played. This is one of the wildest sets I've ever experienced to this day, btw:

Around this time they started getting a lot of attention from print publications in addition to all the online buzz they were earning. They toured the fuck out of that first record and got some pretty great support slots, then they made a pretty phenomenal record in Deja and MTV2 and Fuse really got behind the singles, so they continued to blow up.

Then, taking two years off (2004-2006) only made people crazier, and their outright refusal to do any part of the traditional major label game with Devil And God only made them bigger (no music video, no interviews, etc.). They created their own myth due to not wanting to do anything besides just play music, and a whole lot of people came along for the ride thinking Jesse Lacey was some sort of demigod who could do no wrong. (If only they knew how big of a scumbag dude really is.)

Then Daisy came out, and it wasn't very good, but they had already gotten to the point where they could play massive rooms, so the ball kept rolling until people realized their live shows were kind of lacking and the crowds were just becoming more and more awful to deal with. I once described seeing Brand New as going to watch a horror movie: It involves a certain level of suspension of disbelief, but once that is shattered—either by someone in the theater yelling, "DON'T GO IN THERE!" or a bunch of idiot bros yelling, "PLAY SEVENTY TIMES SEVENNNNNNNN!" it's impossible to enjoy anymore.

They've managed to maintain their current level of popularity by doing fuck-all, similar to how the Lawrence Arms did nothing for like 5 years and became fucking massive.

I was actually posting this thread just for scott to answer my question without having to post it on facebook or making multiple txts that he ignores.  thank you!

were you still in IL when you booked them, or were you in cleveland?  did you see them at the grog shop?  were we there together without knowing it?

i love how genuine you can tell he's being to the reaction of the crowd. "this is the strangest thing that ive ever been involved in in my entire life" and when he says "this is so weird, thank you guys so much" you can tell he's like, "holy shit, these kids fucking love us" and is actually super happy and surprised to the response.

the venue they're at in pittsburgh can open up to an outdoor venue of 5500 capacity, kinda curious why they dont just transition the show to that

The girl at stage ae said it was indoors and even with a potential high demand they werent sure if they would open it up to outside. Figure for them its a no brainer. 3000 more people who could potentially buy overpriced booze.

The girl at stage ae said it was indoors and even with a potential high demand they werent sure if they would open it up to outside. Figure for them its a no brainer. 3000 more people who could potentially buy overpriced booze.

yeah, a friend of mine used to work there and said it would be a couple months before they would expand it.  again, this all blows my mind because I was really unaware this band was THIS big anywhere outside of NYC/Long Island

I was actually posting this thread just for scott to answer my question without having to post it on facebook or making multiple txts that he ignores.  thank you!

were you still in IL when you booked them, or were you in cleveland?  did you see them at the grog shop?  were we there together without knowing it?

I was in college out in the Quad Cities (IL/IA border). I booked them in Davenport, Iowa, at a coffee shop/venue called Peabody's. It was Brand New, the Reunion Show, a local band called the Licorice Whip (who I can't even remember if they showed up or not—I think they played acoustic, maybe?), a band from my hometown who might've canceled, I can't remember, and then my old band opened the show. Brand New got a speeding ticket trying to make the show in time coming from Chicago, and I think I paid them, like, $40 (which was all the door money plus whatever was in my pocket). The ticket was $85. I always felt bad about that.

well now we all want to know how big of a scumbag jesse lacey really is

It's not my place to go into too many details, but his most recent offense in a very, very long line of offenses was playing the role of homewrecker in a relationship involving someone very close to him. You can ask any NY/LI musician and they'll all tell you the sordid details.

It's not my place to go into too many details, but his most recent offense in a very, very long line of offenses was playing the role of homewrecker in a relationship involving someone very close to him. You can ask any NY/LI musician and they'll all tell you the sordid details.

That story made its way beyond NY this fall. I'm not going to be the one to disclose details here, either, though.

Basically, if you remember this story:

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/brand_new_cancel_august_european_tour

The "insurmountable personal issues" referred to are the other members of the band quitting in response to Jesse's personal actions at the time. (Obviously, you can see its since been somewhat resolved, since they're playing shows again—as a four-piece.)

I was in college out in the Quad Cities (IL/IA border). I booked them in Davenport, Iowa, at a coffee shop/venue called Peabody's. It was Brand New, the Reunion Show, a local band called the Licorice Whip (who I can't even remember if they showed up or not—I think they played acoustic, maybe?), a band from my hometown who might've canceled, I can't remember, and then my old band opened the show. Brand New got a speeding ticket trying to make the show in time coming from Chicago, and I think I paid them, like, $40 (which was all the door money plus whatever was in my pocket). The ticket was $85. I always felt bad about that.

Oh shit.  I grew up in Davenport, though I don't remember going to Peabody's (is that where Theo's used to be? - this was probably after my time).  That would have been a hell of a show.

The "insurmountable personal issues" referred to are the other members of the band quitting in response to Jesse's personal actions at the time. (Obviously, you can see its since been somewhat resolved, since they're playing shows again—as a four-piece.)

At least they're better as a four piece  :ph34r:

damn.