Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

My ex-girlfriend used to make something like that periodically, it was really good. I should try and recreate it. It had a tofu/maple syrup 'ricotta'.

I'm going to mention the maple syrup to her, nice

Yea I don't feel like taking a nap after eating it either. Also I'm basically an in home vegetarian now and I'm happy with it...coming from someone who calls Wendy's double doubles borderline gormet burgers (not being sarcastic)

I make my ricotta with simply:

garlic, tofu, pepper, and lemon juice. I just beat it up with a fork.

also, instead of gluten free pasta I just grab rice noodles! I have yet to try GF pasta though.

That's sound yummy too!

Gf is okay, not that the gf and I have any allergies. Just wanted to try something new. I'm still a bigger fan of wheat pasta, high in protein and low glycemic index

I don't do quinoa but those sound great.  I'm trying to move my cooking style from "soy" based to veggie based, if that makes much sense.  I make really good baked mac n cheese and buffalo chicken and lasagna, but it's way more rewarding to make gluten free soy free stuff

Agreed man, I very rarely eat soy anymore. I bought the Vegenomicon cookbook and it has really been a huge help. The bean burger recipe is great and I always make them up on my days off so I have some in my fridge...

Tonight i made Frozen Bananna Soft Serve for desert...Its pretty awesome...basically you just take 5 fresh banannas, stick them in the freezer overnight and then put them in a food processor and the consistency is basically that of Ice Cream...pretty amazing and healthy

Here is the video 

Totally worth a shot if you like Banannas...

Also I have been looking into the vegan cat food a little more...I am nervous to try it, but it seems totally legit...here is the website that provides a nutritional supplement for the cats and basically you can make it yourself...when I get some extra money I think I am going to try it out...

https://www.vegepet.com/vegetarian_cats.html

I know it sounds really stupid to want to try to have my cats eat vegan, but after watching this video I'm kind of sold on the idea...

I bought the Vegenomicon cookbook and it has really been a huge help.

I need to pick that up.  I have Appetite for Reduction and I've liked what I've made from it.

I did a homemade vegan pizza last night.  Made the dough myself, which was a lot more fun that I thought it would be.  Pizza sauce from scratch too.  It was easily the best pizza I've ever made and was well worth the time it took.

I think I'm going to bake some cookies tonight, since I have nothing else to do.

I need to pick that up.  I have Appetite for Reduction and I've liked what I've made from it.

I did a homemade vegan pizza last night.  Made the dough myself, which was a lot more fun that I thought it would be.  Pizza sauce from scratch too.  It was easily the best pizza I've ever made and was well worth the time it took.

I think I'm going to bake some cookies tonight, since I have nothing else to do.

I'll have to check that one out...

A ton of recipes from the Vegenomicon have become a weekly staple for me and my fiance. I just tried their recipe for lemony oven roasted potatoes and they were fantastic. 

Right now I am trying to convert my fiance to being completely vegan. She has been amazing though so far considering she never would have given up a lot of meat if I hadn't started making different things. She is still addicted to cheese even though it makes her sick sometimes, but she doesn't drink milk at all anymore and has (for the most part) completely given up chicken, pork and beef. 

It makes it interesting because I am constantly trying to find things to ween her off of the few milk and fish products she still uses. Right now I'm looking for a cheap cream cheese recipe...or product...

Can you get the yellow tub Tofutti near you? Their Sour Cream and Cream Cheese is the only fake cheese products I eat.

They work well to cook with but taste alright as well. Texture is pretty dead on.

Or are those available but not cheap enough?

I actually haven't looked that hard for either one of them because I just pretty much stopped using them and really haven't missed either one enough to seek out a replacement...My fiance loves both though...so I'll look a little harder and see if I can find them...

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been meat free for 4 days without even realizing it, so I think I’m going to go for 30 days and see how I like it. You all have influenced me. I made my first soup with tofu monday and it was so good. I've also tried veggie patch nuggets and spinach nuggets. loved both but would like to try more recipes and less pre-packaged stuff.

Is it a difficult or messy process? I eat very little seitan but I've always been curious about making it. 

If I'm going fake meats, I'm going Gardein Cutlets all the way. Did a piccata not too long ago with green beans and a cauliflower mash (with a little potato). I thought it was really good!

Is it a difficult or messy process? I eat very little seitan but I've always been curious about making it. 

If I'm going fake meats, I'm going Gardein Cutlets all the way. Did a piccata not too long ago with green beans and a cauliflower mash (with a little potato). I thought it was really good!

It wasn't difficult or messy really.  It's essentially dry ingredients mixed with some wet that you knead and then simmer in broth for a while.  I simmered mine in my slow cooker, which adds to the easy factor.

It was a fun experiment and I'm definitely going to mess with it more.  I'm going to throw a bit of an 'I bet I can make that' phase and it's been really rewarding so far.  I always assumed seitan would be more complicated.  I want to try to make tempeh sometime, but that seems pretty involved.

It wasn't difficult or messy really.  It's essentially dry ingredients mixed with some wet that you knead and then simmer in broth for a while.  I simmered mine in my slow cooker, which adds to the easy factor.

It was a fun experiment and I'm definitely going to mess with it more.  I'm going to throw a bit of an 'I bet I can make that' phase and it's been really rewarding so far.  I always assumed seitan would be more complicated.  I want to try to make tempeh sometime, but that seems pretty involved.

Do you have a link to a recipe perchance? A local restaurant here has amazing seitan wings, but the seitan I see in stores looks nothing like it

has soy already been discussed in here? I'm seeing different things about eating too much soy.

Really hard to say, seems like it doesn't take too much Googling to connect any diet of choice with cancer. Near as I can tell, soy in moderation seems to be fine. The exception being soy infant formula, though some things say pregnant woman should watch their intake as well. It seems pretty defensible when it comes to health risks. 

Do you have a link to a recipe perchance? A local restaurant here has amazing seitan wings, but the seitan I see in stores looks nothing like it

I cut this recipe in half  http://www.theppk.com/2014/02/chicken-stylee-seitan/ I used tamari instead of soy sauce and skipped the bay leaves (since I didn't have any).  It was more similar to seitan that I've had in restaurants than the Westsoy stuff I've purchased.

Don't forget, they are probably also coating in something and deep-frying it! I'm not saying that is a negative, far from it, just that store-bought products aren't gonna be the same type of deal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wife made this last night: http://www.thevegancrew.com/?p=8156

Creamy Tuscan White Bean Soup. It was pretty great. It is almost a little too creamy, we had to add some extra stock. I'd cut the cashews down a bit next time. I also did my cashews with stock instead of water and as with nearly all vegan blog recipes, you need more salt. 

For the last two or three months, I've been making my own stock using vegetable scraps.  Super easy and turns out really well.

I made vegan jerky a few times recently and it turned out really well.  The second time I think I spread it a little thin and it got too crispy, but overall it was damn good.  Not nearly as involved as I would have guessed.

http://veganitaet.wordpress.com/2011/05/20/seitan-jerky-with-barbecue-pepper-flavour/