Vegetarian / Vegan Foods Thread

First time seeing this thread,

I've been a vegetarian about 9 years, one of my favorite dishes that is super easy (and vegan) is ;

-2-3 avocados

-garlic (use own discretion, I use 1 piece)

-basil(5-6 leafs)

-tsp olive oil

-tsp water

-tsp lemon juice

-black pepper

Add all those in a food processor until creamy and then add to your favorite noodles, takes 10 minutes and is delicious. Only downside is you can save it because of the avocados.

whats up, I am new to this thread.

I am a vegetarian, and have been for about 7 years. My wife is also vegetarian and has been for about 11 years.

she does all the cooking and I do all the suggestions of places to go out to eat.  its a good system. 

favorite VEG or VEAGAN restaurants are:

in NYC - Red Bamboo (the bbq wings are the best!!!)

in London UK - Peking Palace 

in Virginia - Food For Thought in Williamsburg. Vegan Soul Food

I live in Toronto ,and am excited that at the beginning of 2015 I am opening my own Vegan Hot Dog cart in the city. It will be called "Rescue Dogs," and feature home made vegan dogs, as well as home made cheese sauce, chilli, and coleslaw, plus your normal fixings.

I really love vegan food.

I live in Toronto ,and am excited that at the beginning of 2015 I am opening my own Vegan Hot Dog cart in the city. It will be called "Rescue Dogs," and feature home made vegan dogs, as well as home made cheese sauce, chilli, and coleslaw, plus your normal fixings.

I really love vegan food.

Awesome. I live near Toronto and am there often. I look forward to trying it!

Awesome. I live near Toronto and am there often. I look forward to trying it!

Wicked! I live quite close to Through Being Cool, the vegan bakery, and Hogtown Vegan. It is nice being surrounded by so much vegan food, and i am excited to be contributing to toronto's excellent selection in the near future.

Any food in Cambridge worth checking out?

Wicked! I live quite close to Through Being Cool, the vegan bakery, and Hogtown Vegan. It is nice being surrounded by so much vegan food, and i am excited to be contributing to toronto's excellent selection in the near future.

Any food in Cambridge worth checking out?

Nope haha.

But Guelph has some pretty solid places.

• 4 weeks later...

I made some excellent tacos the other night and they were incredibly easy, 10 minutes of cook time at the most.

Take 1 cup of walnuts and 1 cup of baby portobello mushrooms and chop them in a food processor until they're really close to crumbled ground beef.  Throw it in a pan and head with 1 tbsp of tamari (or soy sauce), 1 tbsp of cumin and some cayenne (to taste).  Once it's hot, toss them in a few tortillas and add whatever other taco stuff you want.  Tastes surprisingly close to ground beef.  I topped mine with avocado, homemade pico, lettuce, green onion and some hot sauce.  I have a feeling I'm going to be making these a lot this summer.

Girlfriend converted to veg! We went to a little place called Seabirds Kitchen in Costa Mesa, tried their portabelo molé quesadilla. It had portabelos, carmelized onions, vegan cheese, and spinach, topped with molé sauce and chipotle (vegan?) sour cream. It was really good, but kind of too rich after the first slice. We also had it with some potato taquitos with chipotle sour cream dipping sauce. Great neat place. Will go there again! 

• 1 month later...

Those salads are seriously the best.  Always a light dressing, always so good.

My mom makes this killer salad.  It's just corn, edamame and red peppers, mixed with some light oil / ACV dressing? ( I'm not really sure ) and it's too good.

When she makes it, instead of buying frozen edamame beans and corn, she buys corn on the cob and frozen edamame shells, shaves the corn off and pops the seeds out.  It's more work but it tastes surprisingly better than the completely frozen counterpart.

1p7mhuPl.jpg

my wife had vegetarian Haggis this morning in Scotland.  no idea how that works, she forgot to take a picture of it for me.  

Made a really simple salad for work this week.  Garbanzo beans, quinoa, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, red onion, grape tomatoes and kalamata olives.  Pretty happy with how it turned out.  Think I'm going to add cucumbers next time though.

I make this allll the time, use a simple oil/vinegar dressing in it with all the veggies and quinoa!  love it! 

We make a salad like that all the time. Usually add cukes too, red or yellow Bell peppers and artichoke hearts. Or some variation on those ingredients.

Sometimes Orzo instead of quinoa.

Good call on the artichoke hearts, I don't think I would have thought of those.  I'll pick some up at the store today.

I made this awesome vegan cheese sauce over the weekend

• take one cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/3 cup vegan butter
  • melt in a medium nonstick sauce pan over medium heat
  • once butter is melted, add 2 cup daiya cheddar shreds (or other vegan cheddar shreds), 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp of salt
  • stir so the cheese doesn't stick to pan
  • Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from heat and stir

It's really good on nachos and tacos. I made a bean dip with it too. You can also put it in the fridge for 20 minutes and spread it on toast or throw over pasta for really good mac and cheese

I wanted to pop in here and attest my love for Louisville Vegan Jerky Company.  It's a bit pricey but it's the best vegan jerky I've tasted.

http://www.louisvilleveganjerkycompany.com/

It's only in smaller health food stores right now.  I've been ordering it from Fakemeats.com

If you guys are in NC check out these all vegetarain/vegan places:

Raleigh- Fiction Kitchen (This place is amazing) and the Remedy

Charlotte- ZiZi's and Bean

Asheville - Rosetta's Kitchen, Plant (this place rules - expensive though), Laughing Seed

Greensboro - Boba House

Made these last night and topped them with spinach and avocado, turned out really well.  I would maybe consider cutting the rice down just a bit though.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/24/black-bean-and-butternut-squash-burritos/

I made those before man, sooo good!

I have a potato and kale burrito that I make every once in a while too...

• 3 weeks later...

I made a bunch of Chinese steamed buns for dinner and they were delicious. The only thing was was I made them a bit big, so when they finished steaming they were gigantic. I used the recipe from the video below, just remember to add olive oil when making the dough (it was either the Chinese hamburger or pork bun video she shows you how).