Answer My Questions About America

I'm from Canada. America has always served as this crazy landmass below where insane things seem to happen daily. I'd like to hear insights from citizens across the country as the USA has always fascinated me. 

1. Why do cops get away with so much in your country? Is this a state by state case like a lot of your legislation or is this simply an across the board thing? Referring to stop and searches in NY, cops killing criminals etc.

2. When I was in Florida last October I couldn't help but just feel an intense and completely hopeless sadness. Does anyone else feel this in their own home state?

3. Why did you go to University/College? The prices seem so insane to me that the debt doesn't seem worth what is only becoming a tougher job market every year. Why did you finally decide to go? Do you regret it?

4. Do you vote? It seems so pointless in the USA to vote. Why do you/don't you?

5. Those states that legalized weed, is the weed any good? What is the pricing like? What sort of tax is placed on it? Are there any records kept of buyers identities? 

6. What is your experience from public schooling? I'm very interested to hear from anyone who went to a charter school. 

I will also answer and Canada questions one might have. I love hearing American perspectives on American issues from what I consider "real" citizens. We get very few American news outlets and they're always so over the top. 

My public school was a joke, both my parents are teachers and I know that's why I turned out okay. I think they're trying to improve education now but everyone I've talked to in that profession just seems so bogged down with all these different (constantly changing) rules and regulations.

I personally hate Florida, hot and muggy. Meh

1) Look up the recent over the top strip search/cavity search civil rights violations by police in Texas and New Mexico. The problem is that even when lawsuits are successful against the Sheriffs Departmet of a particular county, certain states only give hire/fire jurisdiction to the department and therefore there is an enormous insulation of officers from punishment in many cases.

2. Florida is an awful state full of sadness. You summed it up pretty well. 22 years there and I was thrilled to get out.

3. There is a pretty distinct stigma growing up that college is the next step after high school no matter what if you want a good career/life. It has it's positives and negatives. Personally I knew what I wanted to do when I got to college so money has never been an issue, the loans I have (~50k) is about 65% of the salary I expect to have coming out with my PhD. For some people though they get stuck in the system (my girlfriend) and once you get screwed over by universities once it's hard to get unstuck.

4. Yes, it's not pointless, most people just vote stupidly.

5. Can't speak for that one

6. It's a crapshoot. My high school was awesome when I was there. Top notch education. Now it's overrun by meth heads and rich kid stoners. That's America.

1. Why do cops get away with so much in your country?

Because they're bullies. I know its cliché, but most of the time the asshole football players become officers of the law, and when they band together they love to intimidate anyone they can. The powers that be always back them, even if they're wrong. We pay their wages yet they treat all citizens like wild animals (unless you have a 6 figure income).

2. When I was in Florida last October I couldn't help but just feel an intense and completely hopeless sadness. Does anyone else feel this in their own home state?

Florida is it's own special brand of fucked up, this question is kinda of dumb (no offense). It depends on the person. I don't love California, however I'd be a metric shit ton more miserable if I lived in Missouri. If I absolutely hated CA, I'd move.

3. Why did you go to University/College?

I didn't go. I have considered going but I have a good job as it is with amazing benefits. Most people I know who did went for the experience and landed a decent job in the aftermath.

Yes, because I'm an adult. When I couldn't vote that whole GW Bush shit happened and I'll be damned if I'll play any part in another one of those.

5. Those states that legalized weed, is the weed any good? What is the pricing like? What sort of tax is placed on it? Are there any records kept of buyers identities?

I don't smoke weed but my friends/family members who do say it's absolutely worth the cost. I imagine they're taxed like any other item at the same rate and I highly doubt a record is kept. If an employer wants to know if you're using drugs they'll simply test you and our government wouldn't really care as long as you're not working for them.

6. What is your experience from public schooling?

I've got 0 complaints. Any issues I had in public school was because I was a fuck-up. My wife and oldest daughter are ass-kickers when it comes to this. All of my daughters teachers have been great people and I firmly believe that education should not start and end at school. We have our daughter do work books and flashcards in her free time (especially during the summer) to keep her wits sharp. I don't expect her teachers to be responsible for her entire education because that would be stupid.

*edited for typos. Public school failure and such.

1. Are you basing this on stats or media sensationalism? It happens, but how do you compare to canada in an objective way?

2. State, no. Most of it is beautiful. Detroit and Flint are hopeless.

3. I had scholarships from undergrad to PhD. Makes the decision easier. There are tons of degrees that no question pay off (sciences, engineering, IT, mathematics, some business degrees). You can't really ask the question separate from major in my opinion.

4. No. I believe that the amount of damage done to the environment by driving my car to the polls outweighs any possibility of my vote deciding an election.

5. Don't smoke

6. My public school was fine. I was a geek in high school. AP everything and used to take college calculus classes at night. They would let me leave high school a couple hours early to do so.

I'm from Canada. America has always served as this crazy landmass below where insane things seem to happen daily. I'd like to hear insights from citizens across the country as the USA has always fascinated me. 

Besides Florida being complete shit, is it possible to not feel like that wherever you go? Everywhere has shitty parts to it...

1. Why do cops get away with so much in your country? Is this a state by state case like a lot of your legislation or is this simply an across the board thing? Referring to stop and searches in NY, cops killing criminals etc.

The good news about stop and frisk is that the new mayor of NYC is putting an end to it. At least he's SAYING that. Cops here tend to get the benefit of the doubt for pretty much everything, but with that, I think the news reports a lot more of the bad than the good.

2. When I was in Florida last October I couldn't help but just feel an intense and completely hopeless sadness. Does anyone else feel this in their own home state? All the people I know from Florida fuckin hate it, hahaha. I never felt that way in New York (my home state) but I feel that way sometimes in my current one (North Carolina). That's mostly due to current laws (gay marriage ban, the very restrictive voter laws that were put in place, etc).

3. Why did you go to University/College? The prices seem so insane to me that the debt doesn't seem worth what is only becoming a tougher job market every year. Why did you finally decide to go? Do you regret it?

Originally I didn't want to. I was that honor society do gooder kid all through school and just DID NOT want to further my education at that time. But my parents wanted me to go. That's just what they expected, you graduate high school and then you go to college. Plus they didn't go so I think they had their own expectations for me as well as "the first to graduate." If I had to do it all over again? Mixed feelings on that. Overall I had a pretty great college experience, but the price tag...I'm gonna be paying that off for another decade. Stupid private school. My brother went to state school and is done with his loans already.

Of course I vote! Susan B Anthony and the rest of the suffragettes didn't work that hard for me not to take advantage of what they earned for us. Hasn't even been 100 years yet since women got the vote in this country. Fun fact, Susan B Anthony's trial for voting illegally happened in my home town...a mile and a half from where my parents' house now is, on the same street!

Not applicable for me, although one time I got to smoke some med mj from California and that was the jam.

6. What is your experience from public schooling? I'm very interested to hear from anyone who went to a charter school.

The only public school experience I have is high school (went to a private catholic school K-8). My high school, at least at the time (1997-2001), was pretty damn awesome. NY state requires teachers to have Master's degrees, and at the time had end of grade tests called Regents Exams, which were pretty rigorous. I had plenty of opportunity to take Advanced Placement (AP) classes and honors classes.

Here in NC? If I could afford it I'd send my (theoretical) kids to private school. Durham's school system is a mixed bag of shit.

You're asking very generalized questions about America.  Might be in part to your limited access to American news outlets, although some still may provide you with a more sensationalized view.

1) This depends on the area you're speaking of.  We don't have rampant murderous cops across the country.  In fact, most are very hardworking, law-abiding individuals.  Where you'll find more of this type of blurring of the lines are areas afflicted with high drug use and gang violence.  There will absolutely be a difference in law enforcement when you compare Miami Dade County or some less populated region, like in Wyoming.  The legislation does not differ much between states in the way you are insinuating but it will vary based on each state's demographics.  Although the areas where there is a problem, you do hear of it.  And hopefully people in those areas are trying to change that so we don't unnecessarily fuck up the lives of those people.

2) To say all of Florida is a hopeless place really is a silly statement.  There are more crime ridden areas in Florida that will seem hopeless or more out of control.  Can't imagine this is an unique situation of all the world.  Other areas of Florida are quite affluent, calm, and many people move there for a more relaxing retirement.  I lived in Florida and it's a fine place for some, but wasn't for me.

3) I went to college and then to law school.  I didn't have loans coming out of undergrad but I do now from law school.  I think the cost of tuition is completely inflated and abused in many ways, but my drive to continue my education remained regardless.  I think education is one of the best things you can do for yourself and I wouldn't change my decision at all.

4) I'd be interested in hearing why you think our voting is pointless.  Our system is set up to have federal elections and state elections.  State elections are where you'll find the most value for your vote as those issues will be closer to the needs of the constituents of that state, whereas federal elections have larger, less targeted needs.  Voting and having a voice is the most central part of being an American and therefore will never be pointless.

5)  Probably the most random question on here.  But this is an example how #4 allowed weed to be legalized in Colorado and Washington.  The weed here is 100% legal and mighty fine.  But it was the constituents of this state that decided legalizing marijuana would do more good for the state than continuing to arrest and prosecute for possession, etc.  And so far, the citizens' belief has been proven correct.  I don't have the complete figures on taxes collected, you can go to the Denver Post for that, but the amount of state revenue from marijuana sales has exceeded expectations.  The revenue is being used to teach children not to use, training for police to spot Driving While Intoxicated, and other preventative/safety programs.  So job well done, Colorado!

6)  I was raised in private schooling until high school when I switched to public.  Again, this depends are where you live as far as how well the education will be.  This may seem like something that is a problem, and it is, but different parts of our country have to deal with overcrowding, lack of funding, etc etc.  I had a great time in public school and it did benefit me in many ways.  I was involved in better extracurricular activities, but I think the education was definitely more lacking than when I was in private school.  Of course, my parents had to pay for tuition when I went to private school, and therefore the benefits could be more actualized.

I think that's that?  I'd be interested in hearing how you think Canada stacks up with your same questions.  I've only been to Nova Scotia and I absolutely loved it. 

Politicians need the cops in order to stay employed, so mayors and governors aren't going to come down on them. 

It depends on where you go. Florida is a pretty terrible place, but my homestate isn't much better once you get outside of the two bigger cities there .

I was raised by a generation that made us believe that if we didn't go to college, we'd only be able to get jobs where we'd have to say things like "Do you want fries with that?" I feel as though when I was starting college (2008), people were still under the assumption that if you went to school you would be able to pay off loans. I don't know if I can say for sure that I regret going, but I will say that many people who I met in college now have jobs that didn't require their degree, because the baby boomers fucked us all. 

I do. I do so because if not I wouldn't be able to complain about the way things are done. I am proud to say that I have voted against Pennsylvania's governor Tom Corbett, who ought to be tried for crimes against humanity. He won anyway, but I still got my say in. 

If you weren't in the top 5% or the bottom 5%, and you didn't play football, my high school administration didn't care about you. I was in AP classes, but I still had to do a lot on my own. The special ed kids got help. Everyone else was basically trained to be able to be some kind of factory worker. Maybe Mark's experience there showed him something different from mine. I remember giving my guidance office the envelopes to send my transcripts to different colleges, and they said they'd all be out by the end of the following week, but "oh, Penn State (my safety school), we'll have this one out today". 

1) I love the cops here, I frequent them a lot due to my job :D

2) Though Ohio is boring at times, I just so happen to love the Mid-Best! The weather serves why I bought a Jeep, the emo revival scene is hot right now, and I live close to some of my favorite breweries :D Also I love Florida I frequent the Gulf Coast and the Oceanside in our condos/house and also Fest in GNVFLA!

3) Went to college to get some living done outside of my parents' house and wanted to pursue a degree worthwhile in the process. Honestly the $80k spent for a lifetime of education and job potential is pennies on a dollar (har har copper wire Canadian joke :P.) 

4) I do vote, but more so on an active community level towards stuff that surrounds my area.

5) Go Broncos!

6) Public schooling I was a slacker for almost all my school career (didn't do homework but got 95-100% on all my tests/exams,) I managed to get awards for scoring high on all my state testing (I was actually awarded with the honor students even though my GPA was probably half theirs, no one saw that coming :P.) Ended up going in a college tech program (in HS) for Computer Science where I finished my last two years with a 3.8 and scored a 34 on the ACT and finished my last batch of state testing at the top 1 percentile....turns out I'm just a stubborn ass student. Wouldn't say the school system failed me, just I have higher priorities outside the classroom :D

Questions for you?

1) Why is your Mac & Cheese called Kraft Dinner?

2) Do Canadians enjoy Celine Dion and Justin Bieber?

3) Why is Canada such an ill fitting hat on the head of America?

4) Why do you folks love Toyotas?

1. Almost all of the cop stories on news outlets only highlight the horrible things they do. I do think there needs to be some reform in our criminal justice system, at least in terms of proper training and better discipline for the "bad cops," but I don't think they're quite as bad as the media outlets and movies and TV shows make them seem.

2. I've only ever been to Orlando and Panama City Beach, so I'm not exactly qualified to answer this question. PCB sucked.

3. Personally, I came to college because I knew that if I didn't, I would have a much more difficult time landing a career occupation (let alone a job) in any of my fields of interest. It's also worth the investment, even if I do have to pay off my loans for the next eight or ten years. I will say that I've decided not to pursue anything higher than a bachelor's degree unless I can't get where I want to be in my career without a master's. In mass communications or the music industry, I don't think that'll be an issue. Also, if I hadn't come to college, I would have most likely never left my hometown, and would have gotten some dead-end job and lived a generally unsatisfying life.

4. In general, I vote because, even though the general vote isn't nearly as influencing as the electoral college votes (which is bullshit, in my opinion), I feel like I'm making the slightest bit of a difference in my state and my community. As far as state votes go, my current House Representative is Paul Broun. Look him up. He's a complete idiot, and a waste of a seat in Congress. He also happens to be one of the main reasons why I participate in state and general elections.

5. #420blazeit bruh

6. I sound like a broken record here (ha ha get it because this is a vinyl forum), but it really does depend on where you go. I went to a public high school in the middle of bumfuck nowhere, Georgia, but it was the best school (out of three schools) in my county. I mean, it had its fair share of sub-par teachers and a good number of the students weren't motivated to do well in the slightest (keep in mind that I live in rural Georgia, so most people in my high school came from families that didn't value education at all), but a lot of the teachers I had were fantastic at their job. We also had AP and IB (the IB program was discontinued two years after I graduated), and our fine arts program is (or at least was) one of the best in the state.

Florida is it's own special brand of fucked up, this question is kinda of dumb (no offense). It depends on the person. I don't love California, however I'd be a metric shit ton more miserable if I lived in Missouri. If I absolutely hated CA, I'd move.

Yes, because I'm an adult. When I couldn't vote that whole GW Bush shit happened and I'll be damned if I'll play any part in another one of those.

This is one thing I'm very interested in. GW Bush obviously started some terrible shit during his term but in my mind Obama not closing GITMO, not pulling troops and controlling/employing the NSA is just as bad, maybe even worse than Bush's reign of terror. Thoughts? 

1. Are you basing this on stats or media sensationalism? It happens, but how do you compare to canada in an objective way?

The case that comes to mind was a couple months ago a Toronto cop shot a kid 6 times who was confined to a street car and only had a knife and willing went to the ground to be arrested. Interesting points were: this was a crazy anomaly. The cop was immediately put on leave without pay, he's facing I believe manslaughter charges now that looks like he'll be going to jail. 

You're asking very generalized questions about America.  Might be in part to your limited access to American news outlets, although some still may provide you with a more sensationalized view.

4) I'd be interested in hearing why you think our voting is pointless.  Our system is set up to have federal elections and state elections.  State elections are where you'll find the most value for your vote as those issues will be closer to the needs of the constituents of that state, whereas federal elections have larger, less targeted needs.  Voting and having a voice is the most central part of being an American and therefore will never be pointless.

5)  Probably the most random question on here.  But this is an example how #4 allowed weed to be legalized in Colorado and Washington.  The weed here is 100% legal and mighty fine.  But it was the constituents of this state that decided legalizing marijuana would do more good for the state than continuing to arrest and prosecute for possession, etc.  And so far, the citizens' belief has been proven correct.  I don't have the complete figures on taxes collected, you can go to the Denver Post for that, but the amount of state revenue from marijuana sales has exceeded expectations.  The revenue is being used to teach children not to use, training for police to spot Driving While Intoxicated, and other preventative/safety programs.  So job well done, Colorado!

I think that's that?  I'd be interested in hearing how you think Canada stacks up with your same questions.  I've only been to Nova Scotia and I absolutely loved it. 

I think voting is useless because you have two parties who are both right of centre and don't seem to ever get anything done due to the way your government is set up. Like who controls the house, who is in power, how the state has the power to make their own laws. It just seems like a disaster from top to bottom where nothing can get done either way. This may be good at times too though I guess so no one in power can fully make any legit overarching decisions that would effect everyone but party politics and prejudice just makes it seem like a pointless circus.

Cool to hear about the weed laws though. Seems like a great way to ease into and benefit from the new law.  

Questions for you?

1) Why is your Mac & Cheese called Kraft Dinner?

2) Do Canadians enjoy Celine Dion and Justin Bieber?

3) Why is Canada such an ill fitting hat on the head of America?

4) Why do you folks love Toyotas?

Kraft controls a lot of the Canadian food industry. Same as why we call tissues Kleenex. Mass market appeal.

My cousins under the age of 16 ADORE Bieber and most adults I know over 40 will enjoy some Celine Dion. You have to understand in a country of 36MIL, any artist to break into the USA effectively becomes a household name.

I think of it less as a hat and more of the cloud which the Gods ride upon watching the USA like a reality TV show.

Toyota came into Canada and Ontario specifically (Essentially, most things you know about Canada likely come from Ontario) and set up top notch factories and paid workers excellent wages to make up for the damage and the lost jobs the terrible North American car companies had created. They were smart in realizing that the US would never accept Toyota on a moral level and went for Canada who they knew would respond positively to the well paying jobs as well as utilizing an out of work labour force with automotive experience. In return Canadian's respect the brand and appreciate the job market Toyota opened up and how well they treat their workers. 

No one really have you a direct answer about quality/tax on weed in legal states. The quality is all very very top notch, you still have different strands and a huge variety. Tax on it is right around 28% in Colorado and yes, in turn if you are buying anything above a quad you will see a significant price drop. However, if you're buying 8ths it's gonna run you from 40-70 based on quality and quantity. Rules are, 1/4 per shop per day if you have an out of state license. For Residents of Colorado there is no limit. No limit on edibles, wax, concentrates or anything but physical reefer for out of state residents also

I can only speculate, but my opinion on the subject is that as a society we depend on cops for social control and protection of property.  I may be naive, but I'd say most cops are honest and put their lives on the line 24/7.  If police begin to become assailants then they have to start worrying about the consequences of their actions opposed to the consequences of their lack of actions.  This is an extreme example, but to make the point, an officer of the law has to stop a potentially deadly crime from happening, no time to think twice he's gotta use force to stop the perp.  Shoot, hit, taze, whatever, gotta be willing to do it because if he doesn't something terrible may happen and innocent people may get hurt.  Police need to prevent that from happening.  Now if cops are always getting in trouble for stop and searches or shooting criminals etc. then they are going to be afraid to do what they might really need to do simply because of repercussions.  Kinda like in football where the defense will get fined if they hit players too high because of causing concussions, so they aim low and break legs instead because they won't get in trouble.  Big picture, I don't think we want police to do that.  Please don't get me wrong, in NO WAY am I justifying dirty cops, negligence, and all the horrible and tragic things that have happened to innocent people.  Oscar Grant, Kelly Thomas, Joe Campos Torres etc. are all horrible horrible crimes that cannot be justified in ANY way whatsoever.  The answer then?  Raise the standard to be a cop.  Police officers are supposed to be sworn to protect and that oath should never be broken.  Cops should be honorable and proud to wear the uniform.  Unfortunately that's not the case, there are way too many shithead cops.  Hell my ex-girlfriend's brother is a cop, a detective actually, and he's a fucking dumbass.  Unfortunately we have way too many criminals and apparently need a lot of cops so that standard is hard to keep.  Are we willingly letting these dumbasses be cops? Not really, but I'm sure it's not that easy to keep them out either.

I've lived all over Florida (currently live in the panhandle), and I fucking love it.

Another society thing.  I went to university for a couple years, didn't work out so I bailed.  I currently make more money that my sister who has a boatload of student loans and her master's and I have no debt whatsoever.  I remember when I was getting ready to drop out I was pretty upset about it and I talked to my cousin who is very smart and I totally respect, and he said something along the lines of "you gotta go to college it's what separates us from the regular people".  I immediately was taken back and thought "whoa dude it is not that serious", I consider myself a fairly smart individual, I'm happy and very successful in life.  Unfortunately in our society people do think there is a significant difference if you have a degree or not.  Education is great and I would love to be able to go to college and just learn a bunch of stuff, but I don't have time or money for that right now.  What I am doing though is getting a bullshit online degree, not because I think it makes me smarter and it's not anything to be proud of but if any of those "not regular people" inquire if I have a degree or not I can happily tell them yes.

Yes. Definitely not pointless, especially in local elections.  But for presidential elections, are you familiar with how the electoral college works?  Take the 2004 presidential election for example,  The state of Ohio voted for Bush over Kerry by a 2.11% margin.  That equated to a mere 118,000 votes out of 5.6 million voters.  Had that one, single state voted for Kerry instead, he would have been elected president instead of Bush.  I can guaran-fuckin-tee there were at least 118,000 eligible voters in Ohio that did not vote because they figured it wouldn't matter.  The same can be said for Florida, who had a slightly larger margin (5.01%), but had it gone the other way we would have had a different president.  There is an issue, but that issue is uneducated voting and not voting, not that voting is pointless.

I don't smoke or live in those states but definitely feel like it should be legalized everywhere.

Public school seemed ok I guess.  Some teachers seemed like they cared, some didn't.  I guess you get out of it what you put into it.  I don't know, I graduated with a 4.0 GPA and then dropped out of college because of shitty grades so who knows.

There's a pretty easy rule if thumb I read for the college question -- if you don't expect to make the amount of your student loans in salary the first year after you graduate, you are probably not making the right decision from a purely financial standpoint. Can't quantify lifestyle and aspirations though.

1. Why do cops get away with so much in your country?

Fuck cops.

Florida is kind of embarrassing. I'm from NY which isn't awful, just boring. Unless you go too far North or West then it's awful.

3. Why did you go to University/College?

It's REALLY shoved down our throats that going to college is the only way to get a good job and anyone who doesn't go to college is doomed to work at McDonalds until they die. I dropped out due to mental health reasons with the intention of going back. Couldn't afford to go back while still being able to live independently and figured I had a enough debt already so fuck it.

In Presidential elections, yes. Other elections, not so much. I'm a terrible person and would rather sleep in before work.

Fuck weed because I can't smoke it anymore without having a panic attack. I still miss it every day and the one time I smoked some medical grade shit someone got from California it fucked me up something fierce. Also, they keep TONS of records on people with medical marijuana licenses. No idea what Colorado and Washington are up to now that recreational use is legal.

6. What is your experience from public schooling?

I got bullied from probably 2nd grade through 8th. Then I slept through high school. Guess I learned enough to graduate with honors and then breeze through community college.

Question for OP: do Canadians treasure Mike Holmes as a national blue-collar hero? Why do people still buy crappy new-construction houses on tiny plots with no backyards? How does anybody afford a 800k house in the Toronto suburbs?

If you can't tell, one of your biggest exports is HGTV programming.

Mike Holmes I would say is for sure a household name. I'd bet 7/10 people over the age of 20 know who he is. 

People buy those houses because they've seen too much of Mike Holmes and fear buying something that isn't brand new. 

Toronto (more so the Greater Toronto Area) likes to appear as though it is a great epicentre of arts and culture when in reality it is controlled by an often silent majority of Right wingers and their favourite elected politicians. Like you know from being American, these types are often flush with cash. Many of those townhouses are $800 000+ but they aren't lived in by the owners. They are purchased near the University of Toronto, Ryerson University and York University then inflated greatly as all the lazy liberal arts students are off to school and want to live with all their buds paying $3500 a month for 4 bedrooms. The cash flows in from their parents and skips over Toronto completely and lands in Oakville or Vaughn. It really is the perfect crime. Excellent proof of this is to compare living prices in Montreal vs. Toronto. Toronto is Montreal's shitty little brother that cries when you don't include him but tells mom and dad when you and your friends smoke weed and swear. In Montreal the places are cheaper, easier to find, larger and nicer than the shit you have to sift through in Toronto, plus you get to live in a way better city.

Also, Toronto has the Toronto Maple Leafs and if you don't think their fans are dumb enough to move to be closer to their rink and pay even more insane prices, you are severely underestimating the stupidity of Leafs Nation and the overall influence of hockey in our culture. 

Florida is kind of embarrassing. I'm from NY which isn't awful, just boring. Unless you go too far North or West then it's awful.

point of order, I'm from western NY and while it can be depressing economically and/or if you like buffalo sports, the nature/wine/beer can't be beat. the finger lakes are beautiful!