Emery - You Were Never Alone

You're right, it's lame. They hit their goal and now they want more money. Money is their god now. 

Pretty sure not sarcastic. They are seeing $$ now.

I'm fairly confident the members of Emery don't make enough from simply being in Emery to live off of...and they all have wives and children.  Is it really that bad that they would add a few packages for individuals who have money and are willing to contribute at those levels, if it means it makes it just a little easier to handle the financial reality they face?  

I recognize the minor frustration over seeing your "limited to 5 test pressings" package expand to 25 but...I mean, really guys?  C'mon.  I'd love to see bands like Emery continue to exist but I know they've been close to throwing in the towel simply because they can't support their families.  Personally, I'm happy to see small bands like these go above and beyond their goals, especially if it means helping them continue to make music.  

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit with this response so if you disagree, that's cool.  

I feel like I can understand where all points of view are coming from. Many bands die off because they don't make money anymore, i.e. As Cities Burn. Some of those guys went out and got everyday 9-5 jobs or split up and tried to make music on their own because they have families and such. Their fans loved them, but it just wasn't paying well enough to keep doing it. So yeah, I understand that you have to make a living and support your family (assuming your wives don't work or contribute money to the household in some way). 

Sure, I will go to shows, buy merch and buy music because I want to support the band I love, but Emery asking for additional funds on top of what they actually needed and telling their fans that they need money for flights irks me. Why can't they save money by piling into a van and road tripping it around like most other bands do? Save your money where it counts and make it worthwhile to your fans without price gouging them.  

These guys have been around for a really really long time doing the same thing. Making music and traveling.  Now they have their bad christian company to make them money along with all of the money from touring, merch, fans, etc. I doubt that these guys were really that low on funds in the first place. They just got done with a 10 year anniversary tour for The Weak's End and they had all kinds of special packages to make money from just by saying hi and taking pics with their fans. 

So I hope that they do something with the extra funds they are pulling in except stuffing it all in their pockets. I hope that they put some percentage towards merch, performance or pressing older albums so that the fans don't feel like they are getting the shit end of the stick. 

Sorry for my rant. I do love Emery and I will always support them even though I don't always agree with what they do or like every album they put out. I understand that they need to make money, but there are plenty of other bands out there supporting themselves that give all they can and more to their fans even if their fans can't always afford it. 

my post was mostly sarcastic. though as an honest remark, i will say that i think their whole "bad christian" thing is pretty ridiculous. i think them labeling everything as a branch of their new ideals just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. this whole "i'm a christian and everything i do is a reflection of that but i fuck up sometimes and you shouldn't judge me" attitude is really bazaar, especially when business is thrown into the mix. 

my post was mostly sarcastic. though as an honest remark, i will say that i think their whole "bad christian" thing is pretty ridiculous. i think them labeling everything as a branch of their new ideals just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. this whole "i'm a christian and everything i do is a reflection of that but i fuck up sometimes and you shouldn't judge me" attitude is really bazaar, especially when business is thrown into the mix. 

I get what you're saying and I can see how the Emery connection to their "Bad Christian" thing would leave a bad taste.  I think they should keep the band stuff separate from that, personally.  

But I will say I think the idea behind "Bad Christian" is not that they are acknowledging their screw-ups and then saying 'you shouldn't judge me' but that they are putting for an approach to living as Christians that says, "Hey, we as Christians mess up A LOT and there needs to be more openness about that in the Christian community."  The reason being that, if you are familiar with the Christian community, there's been an underlying attitude that doesn't acknowledge how messed up Christians are and that an image is often put out there that Christians are better than others...and I think they're trying to counteract that with an uncharacteristic approach that emphasizes honesty and vulnerability about subjects that often stay hidden in that community.  

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there.  I'm not trying to change your views or anything- just adding my own observations. 

I get what you're saying and I can see how the Emery connection to their "Bad Christian" thing would leave a bad taste.  I think they should keep the band stuff separate from that, personally.  

But I will say I think the idea behind "Bad Christian" is not that they are acknowledging their screw-ups and then saying 'you shouldn't judge me' but that they are putting for an approach to living as Christians that says, "Hey, we as Christians mess up A LOT and there needs to be more openness about that in the Christian community."  The reason being that, if you are familiar with the Christian community, there's been an underlying attitude that doesn't acknowledge how messed up Christians are and that an image is often put out there that Christians are better than others...and I think they're trying to counteract that with an uncharacteristic approach that emphasizes honesty and vulnerability about subjects that often stay hidden in that community.  

Anyway, just wanted to put that out there.  I'm not trying to change your views or anything- just adding my own observations. 

it's a catch 22. the problem is, they deliberately say stuff on facebook and twitter to bait the people who are like "it's not cool to swear" so they can try to preach at them and say "see... this is what you're not supposed to do". 

it's a catch 22. the problem is, they deliberately say stuff on facebook and twitter to bait the people who are like "it's not cool to swear" so they can try to preach at them and say "see... this is what you're not supposed to do". 

I guess it's all in how you interpret what they're saying.  You see it as baiting, others may see it as a concerted effort to start a conversation about a difficult subject in the Christian community.  I've been following their stuff for awhile now and honestly, I'm not seeing where you're getting the idea that they're outright saying to people "this is what you're not supposed to do."  If anything, I think they've been taking a non-directive approach on stuff.  That's not to say they don't state their thoughts/opinions on things but I haven't seen any forcefulness/"you should do this:" in their approach.  

So, they put up the campaign and there's no regular vinyl option, and the test press packages sell out automatically, so people complain and tell them "we want a regular vinyl package and damn, I wish I could have gotten one of those test packages", so they out up a few more test packages and a regular vinyl option and some more hand-written lyrics packages to give people what they want, and now they're money-hungry people who don't deserve to have their own religious opinions. 25 is not by any means an unheard of number of tests. The Weak's End test I have is /15 or /20 I think. They're just just pocketing all that money, there's time and production costs that goes into every package. With a $200 package. They have to get two vinyl records made, a CD, a print that they then sign, they hand-write lyrics you get to pick, they send a t-shirt, and there's probably other things I'm missing too. Why are people getting so pissed off about them giving their fans what they asked for and are obviously willing to pay for?

And from what I've seen their Bad Christian "label" is because they curse and drink and admit that their not perfect and that everyone makes mistakes, and in the eyes of the more "perfect" Christians, they're bad Christians. But I suppose everyone has their own interpretation of it and everyone is entitled to said opinion. Just like everyone is entitled to have their own views on religion and how they go about it. If they can make money without stealing it from their followers and telling people that beating children and condemning everyone else is an okay thing to do, more power to them. They wrote a book, big deal. They have a podcast, who cares? They have their beliefs and they're allowed to do so.

The things people will complain about.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got an email saying that this is getting pushed back:

"As soon as the record is done, hopefully within the next month if everything stays on our schedule, we will send it to be mixed and mastered and then we will be shipping it along with whatever IndieGoGo package you purchased.  This process is gonna take another couple of months unfortunately."

​Kind of expected it to take longer than anticipated. Still disappointed though :( 

• 2 months later...

So is there anyway of ever purchasing this record outside of the crowdfunding options? Was hoping they would shop the record around after recording, and end up with a situation like with Copeland's new record. Love the band, but thought all the options were a little ridiculously priced. Will it at least be available digitally?

So is there anyway of ever purchasing this record outside of the crowdfunding options? Was hoping they would shop the record around after recording, and end up with a situation like with Copeland's new record. Love the band, but thought all the options were a little ridiculously priced. Will it at least be available digitally?

I believe they will have it available on vinyl, cd and digitally once it's actually finished. they've been pretty quite about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Campaign update I thought 'd share with anyone who is just curious.

Folks,

We are genuinely sorry that it has taken this long to make our album, or I should say sorry that we estimated poorly, because I’m not really sorry that we spent a long time making the album.  It needed this amount of time and work to be as good as it is.  Trust me it is really amazing.  You will love it.  We are beginning mixing now and we will get you contributors some early music as soon as we can.  Once mixed there is still some significant time involved in distro, manufacturing, marketing and setup, all of which we are doing ourselves.  So thanks for continuing to be patient. 

-Matt

• 2 months later...

Another update. Hoping we get our packages before the pre-orders are a year old...

Hey backers,

We are gonna let you hear the entire record very soon! Emery is recording an audio commentary for it tonight and will be sending a link exclusively to you all (the backers), so keep an eye out for that!

We also want to answer ANY questions about the band or the album in the commentary. We'll answer your questions first, so leave any question you have in the comments section here on IndieGoGo to get priority. The guys are going to start recording in the next hour, so hurry and get your questions in before they start!

BC Team

The nostalgic love I have for this band's music continually butts heads with how much I am irritated by the members. Except Devin. he was cool. I won a shirt design contest for Matt & Toby and they used my design without confirming I had won. Then never sent me the contest prize. it took 6 months of emails before they eventually just paypaled me some money. I'm not surprised by how overdue this album is. In my opinion, they don't run a very professional operation.

I'm not sure why I still contributed to the campaign. I guess I just hope I can disassociate the music from my bad personal experiences with the band. :S

The nostalgic love I have for this band's music continually butts heads with how much I am irritated by the members. Except Devin. he was cool. I won a shirt design contest for Matt & Toby and they used my design without confirming I had won. Then never sent me the contest prize. it took 6 months of emails before they eventually just paypaled me some money. I'm not surprised by how overdue this album is. In my opinion, they don't run a very professional operation.

I'm not sure why I still contributed to the campaign. I guess I just hope I can disassociate the music from my bad personal experiences with the band. :S

Wow.  How much money did they paypal you?  Was your shirt design for the one they sent out with all the pre-order packages...the black one?  Wish I had a better description, sorry.

Wow.  How much money did they paypal you?  Was your shirt design for the one they sent out with all the pre-order packages...the black one?  Wish I had a better description, sorry.

Here's the design. they only used it on their first living room tour and never sold it online. I was supposed to get one but they never sent it to me. I was supposed to get into a show free but they never contacted the winners, they just posted the winning designs on facebook when the tour had passed. The drummer for As Cities Burn was doing management/tour drumming for them at the time and I finally got a hold of him. he said they didn't have any more of the shirts after the tour and he paypaled me $50 and said to get a hold of him again if I wanted to get into an Emery show free. he never returned my future emails about that though. so I guess $50 is cool but sort of pales in comparison to owning a band shirt that I designed for a band that I really liked at the time. 

530721_484022988296064_1535088598_n.jpg?