Torrents / NZBs / File Sharing

This shit is complicated. Apparently HBO sent a notice to my ISP because I downloaded an episode of Game of Thrones, so now I'm trying to go about this a different way. I did some more research on NZBs, and found NewsDemon, which is like $18 a month and it comes with a server, a free client thing, a bunch of storage, and also a good VPN, which I like. There's so much going on and I'm incredibly confused. Nothing I download ever works properly and there are a billion parts to each RAR file but they never open because it says they're damaged or incomplete. I've spent all day on this shit.

I'm thinking maybe I should just get a standalone VPN and find a good private torrent site for TV/movies, only I don't know any or have a way to get invites. So much work just to watch Game of Thrones. >.>

Apparently HBO sent a notice to my ISP because I downloaded an episode of Game of Thrones

LOL this shit happened to me because my gf decided to download an entire season of Girls and then left it seeding for days because she doesn't know anything about torrents. New rule in the house, I'm the only one allowed to download anything.

In what way did you have your issue? Was it a public tracker? I have had good luck as long as I stay on private trackers.

Yeah, it was a public tracker. It was only seeding for like an hour though. Idk. I'm going to be finding a good private tracker. Someone's hooking me up with an invite soon. I just wanna try this whole NZB thing for a few days and see if I can teach myself how to work it.

This shit is complicated. Apparently HBO sent a notice to my ISP because I downloaded an episode of Game of Thrones, so now I'm trying to go about this a different way. I did some more research on NZBs, and found NewsDemon, which is like $18 a month and it comes with a server, a free client thing, a bunch of storage, and also a good VPN, which I like. There's so much going on and I'm incredibly confused. Nothing I download ever works properly and there are a billion parts to each RAR file but they never open because it says they're damaged or incomplete. I've spent all day on this shit.

I'm thinking maybe I should just get a standalone VPN and find a good private torrent site for TV/movies, only I don't know any or have a way to get invites. So much work just to watch Game of Thrones. >.>

You'll want to make sure to grab the PAR2 files with your RARs, they're used to repair the damaged RARs.  A good usenet client (SabNZB or NZBGet) will automatically repair/unrar for you if you want too.

Alright, so, I got one to work.

Now I'm using NewsDemon for my server and a VPN, SabNZBD for my client, and OZNZB for an indexer (as per Sab's suggestion). I can also use the client that came with Demon for binaries and all that stuff I don't understand.

I tried to use NZBGrabit forums for indexing, but it was very annoying because it wouldn't let you get any older than 20 days. Is OZNZB a decent one? Is there any one that you guys like more? I don't quite understand the whole API thing with them, but it let me download something and watch it, so...

Alright, so, I got one to work.

Now I'm using NewsDemon for my server and a VPN, SabNZBD for my client, and OZNZB for an indexer (as per Sab's suggestion). I can also use the client that came with Demon for binaries and all that stuff I don't understand.

I tried to use NZBGrabit forums for indexing, but it was very annoying because it wouldn't let you get any older than 20 days. Is OZNZB a decent one? Is there any one that you guys like more? I don't quite understand the whole API thing with them, but it let me download something and watch it, so...

You need something like this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120406

I'll assume you are using windows? I'm on linux so I don't think the one I used applies. But there are plenty of guides that walk you through configuring all these pieces so they work together automatically (the API thing). Don't go at it one tool at a time (unless you have already gone so far that it makes sense I guess).

I'm out of the loop on the best indexers. That's the weakest link in the chain (ie, the piece it is easiest to take down). II think this one was free (but with some limitations) and I got some use out of it.

http://www.nzbzombie.com/

$18 a month is a bit on the high side for usenet but if you are getting the VPN and using it, it's not that bad. Clients are out there for free so that doesn't really bring anything. I'm not sure exactly why you would need a VPN and Usenet, though. The usenet stuff is as safe as anything can be (meaning that someone tracking your downloading through usenet is about as likely as someone seizing your VPN provider and tracking you that way). Anything so obscure you couldn't find through usenet is likely not going to be watched (like tiny indie label music).

I'm on linux

Another Linux user, cheers to that!

I agree that VPN with usenet might be overkill, but you might as well use it if it's provided.  I'm happy with an SSL connection.  The biggest concern about usenet is that the content owners will send takedown notices to the usenet providers, so sometimes files is no longer there.  As Lebowski said, them hunting you down for downloading it is pretty unlikely.