Torrents / NZBs / File Sharing

• 1 month later...

I read some message board posts along the lines of "something new will pop up, it always does, just give it some time" which is the optimistic viewpoint. Interesting that the remaining sites have closed registration to avoid becoming the next target of intervention. I am sure that if the NZB sites get eliminated, usenet subscriptions will plummet as well.

Paid for 5 years of NZBmatrix, used it one. I'm not TOO pissed about it because I saved about a thousand bucks on cable but I didn't get what I paid for.

Plan for now is a mix of torrents (hopefully on a private site) and watching tv on websites. If the era of the pvr is really over, though, it will be a tough call whether I get cable again or not. Gonna give it a month to straighten out before I cut my usenet off.

It would be awesome if every network just put their shows online (commercials are fine) and the premium networks allowed you to subscribe without cable. I have no problem paying a share to keep my shows going. The cable industry is just so messed up, though (inability to choose which channels you actually want and leave the rest, promotional rates that expire and your payment doubles, bundles and pricing that cause your bill to get over $100 in no time with HD fees, equipment fees). I've loved my pvr for the past year.

NZBs have become a lot more popular over the last year given many server based hosting sites like Megaupload and torrent giants like Demonoid have been taken down.

Stay optimistic friends, copywrite holders and providers are very much aware of this and are coming down hard on both servers and indexes. I wouldn't trust anything that doesn't offer SSL encoding and most of the big communities that provide premium service are closing their doors to the NZBmatrix refugees.

whats NZB? I've had what.cd account since its formation // I was on Oink before that. it absolutely rules, best way to get music ever. I have one invite to it, but it's so incredibly hard to get them that I haven't given this last one away. :P

I don't understand it inside out so I might say something wrong, but you would rss subscribe to a show, which would download nzbs, which are a type of filesharing on usenet, which was encoded through ssl.

So you would pay $10 a month for usenet, and every show you could want to watch would be downloaded automatically and securely, eliminating the need for cable. Apparently the anti-piracy folks are going after the biggest NZB sites, which serve as catalogs for NZBs in the same way demonoid would for torrents (except everything is rss, so the downloading was automatic). Without these sites, the system is fractured.

Let's say I was to get busted for downloading this weeks episode of American Horror Story (purely theoretical...no plans to download copyrighted material).

What is the current penalty for pirates? We've all seen that warning at the beginning of movies, but do people really get things like $50k fines? Or in today's world, do they get a couple hundred dollars fine and a slap on the wrist for the first offense?

a coworker of mine got caught downloading a movie (can't remember which one right now... was about 3 years ago)

anyway, comcast sent him an email stating that they knew he downloaded that specific movie and warner bros made a copyright claim and that this was his first warning.

he never used demonoid again.