Torrents / NZBs / File Sharing

• 2 weeks later...

Oh fuck. I've considered getting their discography off there.

Also, comment a warning on the torrent.

Shit, you're right, I need to spread the word. Apparently, it is not necessary to pay the fee, because they do not have your name, just IP. With that being said, they would have to sue your ISP for your info, which is a lot of work for all the people who dload it. Then they have to prove it was you, and you weren't hacked, or someone did not come over and download it to their computer, blah blah blah. It was linked to starfuckers.mp3. I do not even torrent that much haha.

So, I've been using rodent and things like Mediafire for... a long time. The only things I ever get anymore are music, a few TV shows, and the occasional application. I know absolutely nothing about NZBs, private torrent sites, etc. I've read through a lot of this thread and am sorta overwhelmed by all the different sites mentioned, even in the last few pages.

So, again, as someone who knows nothing about NZBs, what sites would you guys reccomend looking into? Are there any that are still worth it?

As far as private sites go, a big problem i've been having with getting music these days is some of the less well-known bands/albums/EPs that came out more than a year or two ago are really hard to find working methods of getting them. Would the private sites like are mentioned here have that sorta thing or am I only going to be able to find radio rock and the most popular metalcore albums? I see a lot of what.cd discussion, and knowing little of that, would I be better off looking into a site like that, or a more open-ended site? I've just seen so many of those listed I don't even know where to begin.

What.cd has so much stuff it's actually overwhelming. Definitely not just popular stuff, I would get an invite there if you can. I would hook you up but I'm relatively new and don't have any invites yet. Waffles.fm is pretty nice too. Those are the only ones I know that are mostly music-oriented.  

The choice for private torrents vs NZBs really just comes down to a cost vs service tradeoff. Private torrent site is free or a one time fee of about $10. NZBs are going to run you about $10 a month.

The positives of NZBs is that they can be set up to automatically download (like a dvr), they always download at 100% of your bandwidth, there's a but more quality control on the sources, and a few other benefits.

I've done both. I think the private torrent site works just fine for me. I wouldn't recommend NZBs unless you are going all downloading (no cable) and watch a fair amount of TV.

I'm going to be moving soon and won't have cable at all, so I think an NZB would be a good step from there. What site(s) work well? Thanks for the info.

I use SuperNews for my server.  $11.99 a month for unlimited speed and usenet, and they have incredible retention.  There are cheaper alternatives but this is the most bang for your buck at that price.

http://www.supernews.com/

For NZB's I primarily use NZBGrabit forums.  You'll have to manually download each NZB, I don't think you can use that site automatically like thebiglebowski was referring, but it is a very thorough and complete NZB indexer.

http://www.nzbgrabit.cz/forum.php

And for a newsreader I use Newsbin.  There are probably cheaper/free alternatives to this as well, but I've used Newsbin for probably 10+ years now with no issues.  Powerful software.

http://www.newsbinpro.com/

I've been out of NZBs for a while but the clients it seemed like everyone used were Sabnzb/sick beard/headphones/couch potato. Each one serves a different purpose. There are plenty of google guides out there on how to set them up.

The indexer I was using was shut down (that's about when I quit) so I can't recommend one. I can say that if you are going to manually go in and download nzbs, just go with torrents. Private torrents are just as safe as NZBs and download plenty fast, plus there is no subscription fee. 90% of the utility of NZBs is just setting them up so that they grab things for you on your own and it is just there when you are ready to watch.

• 3 weeks later...