VC Dog Owners.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I didn't want to start a new thread but need some advice.

Quick backstory. I mostly grew up with a moody cat. My wife grew up with 2 different dogs. She's a huge dog lover and left home permanently at 18. She really misses having a dog, and for the almost 6 years now we've lived together she's still wanted one. Our lease at our current place (3 family home) that we signed back in 2010 said no pets. We've been good with our 90 year old landlord and finally got an OK to get a dog. 

The problem is I still don't really have the desire to get one. I'm also trying to secure my first full-time teaching position and feel that this might be overwhelming for some reason. Don't get me wrong I love dogs (and cats too) but just feel that two people working full time in Brooklyn won't provide enough space/attention for it. The idea of crating dogs all day also seems kinda wrong.

I'm mainly looking for advice about just caring daily for the dog while working and costs associated with them as well as other relevant things I should know. Also I feel I need a quiet medium sized breed that won't tear up shit if I do come around to wanting one. Convince me people.

your concerns seem fair. i'm inclined to say DO IT because fuck yeah dogs, but also because it seems pretty important to your lady. there's obviously a lot of responsibility involved, but a dog can provide so much joy.

and plenty of dogs are raised in the city. as long as you're able to train it to exist in your place without eating everything and pissing everywhere, you'll be fine.

also, just in case anyone needs a portrait of their pup, or knows a friend who could use a personalized gift, you just let this guy know

925502_646039112117771_719509983_n.jpg

1975036_472943219472153_613845317_n.jpg

Quick backstory. I mostly grew up with a moody cat. My wife grew up with 2 different dogs. She's a huge dog lover and left home permanently at 18. She really misses having a dog, and for the almost 6 years now we've lived together she's still wanted one. Our lease at our current place (3 family home) that we signed back in 2010 said no pets. We've been good with our 90 year old landlord and finally got an OK to get a dog. 

The problem is I still don't really have the desire to get one. I'm also trying to secure my first full-time teaching position and feel that this might be overwhelming for some reason. Don't get me wrong I love dogs (and cats too) but just feel that two people working full time in Brooklyn won't provide enough space/attention for it. The idea of crating dogs all day also seems kinda wrong.

I'm mainly looking for advice about just caring daily for the dog while working and costs associated with them as well as other relevant things I should know. Also I feel I need a quiet medium sized breed that won't tear up shit if I do come around to wanting one. Convince me people.

Knock her up.  Put a baby in her belly and she'll not be too concerned about getting a dog, or any other pets, for a while.

Other than that, try to get into the idea of owning a dog.  Go to some of the rescue/adoption events local groups hold at big box stores - usually any saturday/sunday at a Petsmart you can catch something like this going on.  Hang out with some of the dogs, just look, and think about what you want.

You may want to get an older dog that is kind of calm and chill (and probably housebroken) instead of a puppy. My wife and I did this and had an amazing dog, but the downside is a shorter time you have with them.  We had 6 years, great years with her (Harley, my user name).

Vet bills are not cheap, nor is food . You can get good bulk food from Sams Club or Costco.  You're also going to spend a couple hundred a year on heartworm and flea, and then another hundred on the yearly shots/checkup.  

Good luck!

I have a small dog, <12lbs, and a fraction of the above costs. Once you get into a routine, taking care of an animal can be very seamless.

50 a year for flea/heartworm

116 annual exam

30 bucks of food every 5 weeks or so

Whatever amount of toys I wish to bestow on my pup

That's it really.

Maybe 2 hours a day walking, split morning/night

But unconditional love all year makes it totally worth it

As someone who just got a new puppy a couple weeks ago, they are a ton of work and he chews everything.  I don't think there is any getting around those issues. I have been spoiled over the last 8+ years because my old dog (pitmix) is a fucking perfect angel who did nothing wrong ever.  Looking for an already trained 1+ year old might be smart.

At the moment, the new puppy is being crate trained and is locked up about 9 hours a day due to our work schedules.  I have someone swing by to let them out around lunch time, however even with that break he is in a cage alot.

As far as costs. Vet bills are pricey right off the bat, plus toys, treats... Then you will need monthly flea + tick meds which can be like 50-65 bucks per 3-5 month pack (depending on what kind you use. sorry i dont know exact prices, my wife buys all that stuff) and food which runs 30-60 bucks for a big 26 pound bag (depending on your dog that can last about 6 weeks).

Now that i have had a dog in my life for the last 10 years, i will never be without.

All i gotta say is if you decide to get a dog please please please adopt and do not go through a breeder.

Agree!  So many good puppies in shelters.  Plus you may find that shelters may even offer free or discounted spay and neuter programs, micro-chipping, and discounted obedience classes.  All of those things could help if costs are a concern.   

The SPCA and Humane Society have been great to me as an adopter/foster/volunteer over the last 10 years.

Okay, so the dog in the foreground is my parents' dog, Ginger. She's a chihuahua/rat terrier mix that found us. She was abandoned by her former owners when she was a puppy and we found her curled up in our garage one morning and couldn't not keep her, but one of our neighbors called the pound and had her picked up, so we adopted her as soon as they let us. She's about 9 years old, but she still has the energy of a dog five years younger.

In the background is my sister's dog, Blitz. He's a golden retriever/smooth collie mix, and he's just over 2 years old now. She got him from one of her friends when he was 10 months old, and she has trained him so well. He's very well-behaved, but he's also really stubborn; like, he won't go outside in the rain unless we literally pick him up and put him down in the grass. He's also allergic to grass and carpet, but we still love him. Haha

tumblr_n7cm5uQAO21sh4i2oo1_1280.jpg

My dog doesn't like other dogs. It makes me sad because everyone (walking their dogs) is always like "hey is your dog friendly?" and I'm like not really and then they proceed to put our dogs together and get upset when my dog snaps at theirs and then I get to apologize like an asshole.

It also makes me sad because I want doggy playdates.