PO Soon : MOGWAI - Come On Die Young 4 LP Box Set

Bumping for an unfortunate update, as far as us American folks are concerned.

I contacted Sub Pop to see if they may be carrying some copies of this release, to avoid nasty shipping rates.  They promptly responded to me this morning, and this is what they had to say.

Hi Derek, I'm pretty sure that we won't be able to get any of these for sale in the US, but I'm checking into it all the same, because that album is so great. I will let you know if/when I hear more. Thanks!

Still not deterring me at this point, but at the end of the day I'm anticipating ~$100 PPD.

Why would Sub Pop carry these? Do they normally carry another labels release for artists on sub pop?

There was just a bit of speculation since Mogwai was [is?] on the label, and they were able to secure some of the Rave Tapes boxsets for U.S. customers.  It was a long-shot, but I felt obligated to ask.

[edit]

Unrelated to this thread, particularly, but does anyone own Ten Rapid on both 12" and 2x 10"?  I'm looking to finally track a copy down, and was curious to know if one press had any dis/advantages over the other.

I have both presses of Ten Rapid. I don't recall any difference in sound quality. I guess the biggest disadvantage is that the double 10" requires more side flipping. The 12" would probably be easier and cheaper to find since the double 10" was a smaller press and individually hand-numbered, not to mention not authorized by the band.

I have both presses of Ten Rapid. I don't recall any difference in sound quality. I guess the biggest disadvantage is that the double 10" requires more side flipping. The 12" would probably be easier and cheaper to find since the double 10" was a smaller press and individually hand-numbered, not to mention not authorized by the band.

Really?  I did not know this, and find that rather interesting.  Would you technically consider it to be a bootleg?  How's the packaging on it?  Right now, I'm actually able to get either one for about the same price.  I certainly don't need two copies of it, and would probably prefer the 12" if I could find it.

Bumping for an unfortunate update, as far as us American folks are concerned.

I contacted Sub Pop to see if they may be carrying some copies of this release, to avoid nasty shipping rates.  They promptly responded to me this morning, and this is what they had to say.

Still not deterring me at this point, but at the end of the day I'm anticipating ~$100 PPD.

If there are enough of us, we should see if it's cost effective to do a group order.  Not necessarily sure if it will be, but it's worth looking into.

I'd totally be down for a group-buy if the savings were significant. I listened to this album on a lengthy night drive yesterday evening, and couldn't be more determined to own / spin this album. Finally.

just bought tickets to see them next Friday. cannot wait!!!

Very nice. I actually caught them on Sunday for the first time and was super impressed, even with high expectations. And despite preferring a setlist that favors new material, every single one of their Rave tracks sounded phenomenal. Really eager to see them again, already. I hope you have a blast at your show.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump to remind everyone that this is a thing.  And literally right around the corner.  I figure these are going up on the 1st, Glasgow time... which is more like the 30th for those of us in the U.S.  I doubt these will sell out in the blink of an eye, but I won't be risking it.  I was well-prepared for this release before being absolutely reamed with a bogus parking ticket, last week, so I've been pinching pennies just to afford this.  Probably not the most responsible decision, financially, but I've waited so long for this thing.

As irony would have it, I wouldn't have gotten said ticket had I not opted to stay one more night in San Francisco, so I could catch Mogwai for a second time, the following day.  They mixed their setlist up a bit and closed with Mogwai Fear Satan.  Even with a shitty mindset from the parking / towing affair just a few hours prior, it was still an extraordinary 11+ minutes.  If I had the chance to relive any single moment from any of the shows I've seen, I think I'd probably opt for that one.  Does anyone else experience genuine frisson from this track?  It's been tied with Caspian's Sycamore for my favorite instrumental closing track, for the longest time.  But after seeing both of them live, I think I've gotta' go with MFS.  The lighting, the pin-drop quiet guitar that explodes into a monstrous wall of three, the feedback outro.  It sounds cheesy, but that shit was magical.  Almost worth the $600 I handed over to the city and towing company.  Almost.

I'm so insanely distraught to be missing them in new orleans Sunday. I've had a ticket for half a year but I have to bring my girlfriend back to her dorm and will miss it. If anyone wants the ticket, I'd love to trade it for a record from the merch table. Lol. Planning to ask a friend about that deal actually.. anyone know which records they've got with them on this tour and how much they're selling for? In the meantime I'll be weeping over opportunity lost. They shall remain high on my "haven't seen, must see" list.

The first time I saw them live in '99, I had no idea how loud they were as a live band and I didn't have earplugs with me. They opened with Mogwai Fear Satan. At that point, there were still doing 15+ minute versions of it with Stuart joining in on the drums at the end. And since it was the first time I saw them, I also wasn't aware of the big dynamic change from really quiet to crazy loud. I nearly had a heart attack because it was completely unexpected. Needless to say, that was the first and only time I didn't wear earplugs at a Mogwai show.

I've seen them 10 times now and they've done Mogwai Fear Satan at almost every show and it still excites me every time. I especially love it when they segue into it from another song. At the Belly Up show last week, they segued from Hunted By a Freak. On the Happy Songs tour, they segued from Kids Will Be Skeletons.

I'm so insanely distraught to be missing them in new orleans Sunday. I've had a ticket for half a year but I have to bring my girlfriend back to her dorm and will miss it. If anyone wants the ticket, I'd love to trade it for a record from the merch table. Lol. Planning to ask a friend about that deal actually.. anyone know which records they've got with them on this tour and how much they're selling for? In the meantime I'll be weeping over opportunity lost. They shall remain high on my "haven't seen, must see" list.

Hopefully they'll tour the U.S. again, sooner than later.  The setlist was pretty healthy and evenly fleshed out, this last time... but I still think there'd be maybe one or two fewer Rave Tapes songs if the album hadn't just dropped.  What I did notice, however, is that there were zero CODY songs performed between the two nights I caught them.  It's wishful thinking, but maybe they're avoiding that material for a CODY anniversary tour?  I'd lose it if I saw Ex-Cowboy or Christmas Steps live.

To answer your question, they had Rave Tapes, Hardcore Will Never Die, and the Earth Division EP when I saw them.  I didn't check the prices on them, though.

Thanks for the vinyl availability info. Guess I'll ask my bud to pick me up Rave Tapes since I've been sleeping on it. He's catching them in Baton Rouge Saturday and New Orleans Sunday .. I was supposed to join him until I realized I had girlfriend-obligations :( strange they're not touching on any CODY material though....maybe you're right with your hunch. One can pray.

At that point, there were still doing 15+ minute versions of it with Stuart joining in on the drums at the end.

That sounds amazing.  For real.  I think I'd prefer it as a balls-to-the-wall closer than an ice-breaking opener... but that could just be me.  Regardless of where it is in the set, I feel like I can rest a little easier having witnessed it at least once.

Thanks for the vinyl availability info. Guess I'll ask my bud to pick me up Rave Tapes since I've been sleeping on it. He's catching them in Baton Rouge Saturday and New Orleans Sunday .. I was supposed to join him until I realized I had boyfriend-obligations :( strange they're not touching on any CODY material though....maybe you're right with your hunch. One can pray.

Such a bummer that you're missing out on the show.  Fingers crossed that they'll tour near you soon enough.  As far as the potential CODY tour; knowing my luck, they'd do one and have boxsets for cheap at the merch stand... but would only hit up the UK.