PO: Chevelle - Wonder What's Next - SRCvinyl

Let's say I just got a job at a design firm, and I sign a contract with the company that states that all my designs are property of the company and I relinquish all rights to them. Down the line I leave the firm for one reason or another. They go on to use my designs on packaging, posters, everything under the sun. Are you going to have sympathy for me as the artist when I complain about how they are "illegally" using my work? 

Spot on analogy.

I'm pretty tired of the morality police telling me my reasoning for buying what vinyls I want to buy.

Fuck to the yes.

Well thank you for telling me what I was thinking.

As an artist if you want to say "We don't support this project and we'd appreciate if you, our fans, would also not support it" I'd care. But if you say "This is an illegal bootleg. We did not give our consent to do this." you are lying. There is nothing illegal about this pressing, it is not a bootleg, and they did consent to the licensing and merchandising of their music the minute they signed on the line.

Let's say I just got a job at a design firm, and I sign a contract with the company that states that all my designs are property of the company and I relinquish all rights to them. Down the line I leave the firm for one reason or another. They go on to use my designs on packaging, posters, everything under the sun. Are you going to have sympathy for me as the artist when I complain about how they are "illegally" using my work?

I'm pretty tired of the morality police telling me my reasoning for buying what vinyls I want to buy.

Bra-fucking-vo.

I'm not 100% on this but I'm thinking that because these days, well after the heyday of analog reproduction being the only way for music storage to occur, bands are afraid that certain labels who press their music without their consent will cut corners and simply cut a lacquer from consumer grade CD playback or even worse, low quality digital files. Certain bands are probably worried about their music being properly treated and mastered for vinyl from original multitrack tapes/sourcefiles.

Again, that may be the concern. For the most part, you can't fuck up creating mp3 or WAV files for your digital distribution and most CD's are not pressed from anything less than the proper CD master when they're being ordered from a proper CD manufacturer because that process is much more prevalent and probably easier than the vinyl mastering and mass duplication process when its done correctly with highest possible fidelity in mind.

This is a really good answer to my question.

Edit:  That being said, in this case, I think topher is right.  As much as I love Chevelle, they've never been known to put much thought into their physical releases.  They would have simply put out a vinyl release, it might have been okay, but probably would have been sub-par.  I'm happy to have a business that's in the business of vinyl release a vinyl pressing of this album.  As much as I take issue with how SRC does things on occasion.

Yeah, this issue has been settled repeatedly now. Just drop it.

And it's worth pointing out that the band's only tweet about this issue was over a month ago, and they've said nothing more since. It's entirely possible that they've changed their minds about it or that they don't care anymore.

Challenge accepted.

First off, this album has no nostalgic value whatsoever to me. I still listen to it. I still enjoy it. I've loved this band since 2004. I've enjoyed their highs, and cringed at some of their lows. They still make music that I enjoy, and I continue to support the band.

Second, I'm not interested in the "limited edition" factor. In this case, I purchased the most limited variant because that's the version I felt like buying. Don't care if they made 500 or 500,000 of them. And if I decide to buy the other variant(s), it's because I want a complete collection for one of my favorite bands.

Finally, I have a buddy who met Chevelle after a show in 2009 and he asked them if they'd ever release any of their music on vinyl. They said they were working on it. That was 5 years ago. Every year I hear about someone meeting the band and asking about this, and the band's response is always that it'll happen eventually. Now it's happening, and they're upset because they didn't get to be a part of it. What serious contribution could the band have had to the physical product in the end anyway?

And if Chevelle did have total control in pressing this, I can almost guarantee it would've been a 47 minute album squeezed onto a single 120g LP mastered from a CD. It's obvious that the only reason they've been interested in vinyl for the last 5 years is because suddenly, it's "in" again. The band themselves would've been the ones making a "collectors item". Not SRC. (Wow, that seems really weird to say.)

tl;dr:

SRC acquired the rights legally. The band didn't get the memo, and they're upset. But they've had 12 years to press this album, specifically, "themselves". They expressed interest in having their music on vinyl. That's what this is. And it will sound a hell of a lot better than if the band had had control over it. Sad, but true.

Well said.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COKE-BOTTLE-CLEAR-Chevelle-Wonder-Whats-Next-2LP-Vinyl-180Gram-NEW-ltd500-/390898147953

FUCK this price, but all of the artwork is pictured here. Looking super rad.

Fun comparison; here's the mockup I did when this was first announced: http://s26.postimg.org/5h1ymes07/Chevelle_Wonder_What_s_Next_Coke_Bottle_Clear.png

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COKE-BOTTLE-CLEAR-Chevelle-Wonder-Whats-Next-2LP-Vinyl-180Gram-NEW-ltd500-/390898147953

FUCK this price, but all of the artwork is pictured here. Looking super rad.

Fun comparison; here's the mockup I did when this was first announced: http://s26.postimg.org/5h1ymes07/Chevelle_Wonder_What_s_Next_Coke_Bottle_Clear.png

there's a special place in hell for ebay sellers like that... but crap these look nice.

This Type of Thinking was by far my favorite Chevelle album when I was in high school, but Point #1 really holds up better for me now. Don't get me wrong, I hope their entire discography gets pressed, but if it were up to me, Point #1 would be next. Should've been first, really.

That analog production... Hot damn.

Long time lurker, thought I'd finally sign up.

I had to ask, anyone else a bit disappointed in the sound quality? Maybe I just had bad luck. I got a coke bottle clear and a red. And I get a lot of sibilance, you know, the loud s's and high pitch cymbals. I'm not having problems with any of my other vinyl, so I guess it's not my stylus and the chevelle?

Other than that they look great.

Edit: oh and a little bit of tracking issues as well?