Circle Takes the Square - ATRU

But Level Plane still rules. Even if they did repress stuff, they would sell them for $20 and people would still find a way to bitch about it.

Just because a record is sought after, doesn't make it right or reasonable to make a repress cost more than it should. Level Plane releases were always $10 or $12 bucks new.

Level Plane is and most likely will stay one of the best labels that ever existed. So much influential music was put out by them. Their roster was stacked. I mean let's look at this:

Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

City of Caterpillar - S/T

Saetia - S/T 7"

Bucket Full of Teeth - IV

Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World

You and I - The Curtain Falls

Isis - Oceanic

And those are just the ones I remember.

Level Plane is and most likely will stay one of the best labels that ever existed. So much influential music was put out by them. Their roster was stacked. I mean let's look at this:

Envy - A Dead Sinking Story

City of Caterpillar - S/T

Saetia - S/T 7"

Bucket Full of Teeth - IV

Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World

You and I - The Curtain Falls

Isis - Oceanic

And those are just the ones I remember.

Neil Perry, Usurp Synapse, Hot Cross, Muslimgauze, Coliseum, Graf Orlock, Malady...

Such a good label. Used to always get excited for new Level Plane releases! I probably ordered from 29 North more than any other distro while they were around.

Just because a record is sought after, doesn't make it right or reasonable to make a repress cost more than it should. Level Plane releases were always $10 or $12 bucks new.

'were' being the key word. Is it still possible for labels to release items this cheap? You also used to be able to buy LPs for $8 at shows, and buy 7" for a couple bucks, but thats long gone as well. $20 is completely reasonable to me. But thats just me I guess *shrug*

'were' being the key word. Is it still possible for labels to release items this cheap? You also used to be able to buy LPs for $8 at shows, and buy 7" for a couple bucks, but thats long gone as well. $20 is completely reasonable to me. But thats just me I guess *shrug*

Yes. It is BEYOND possible to press records that cheap still. I do it, and we keep pressing runs under 400 copies.

Don't believe the hype: these inflated prices are only to make extra money.

We just did a double LP, and only pressed 100 copies. Our cost on it was like $23. That was our most expensive release....but there were only 100 of them! Part of the high cost was that we had to master it for vinyl twice using two different companies - we spent over $1000 just to cut the lacquers. It was ridiculous, but I would do it again any day.

That being said, I am thrilled to own an OG of this record.

oof well consider me wrong! I guess most releases are put out by labels that purely license music from other sources rather than just putting out something thats under their label as is, hiking up the costs. I just did some quick 'I wonder' research on United's site and a release like this one would be a little under $9 per copy to produce, with a /500 run, so thats a $13 profit per unit! I still refuse to pay $30 for something new thats coming out, and tend to lean more towards second hand copies of things when I can. Patience goes a long way in this hobby. All that being said, I really miss when most bands could put out releases for half of what they go for now.

Also, you do it right man, the only release I have through you is Empires- Freshwater Reflection, but it is by far one of the coolest releases I have bought for $10, or at all for that matter!

oof well consider me wrong! I guess most releases are put out by labels that purely license music from other sources rather than just putting out something thats under their label as is, hiking up the costs. I just did some quick 'I wonder' research on United's site and a release like this one would be a little under $9 per copy to produce, with a /500 run, so thats a $13 profit per unit! I still refuse to pay $30 for something new thats coming out, and tend to lean more towards second hand copies of things when I can. Patience goes a long way in this hobby. All that being said, I really miss when most bands could put out releases for half of what they go for now.

Also, you do it right man, the only release I have through you is Empires- Freshwater Reflection, but it is by far one of the coolest releases I have bought for $10, or at all for that matter!

Why thank you, sir. Go to our bandcamp page and check out some of our other stuff. It's all free for download. :-)

Damn I want that pressing so bad!

There's one on discogs, but like you said, pretty outrageous price. If its any consolation, I'm pretty sure I paid at least $50 for this years ago before prices for skramz related stuff got as totally ridiculous as they are now, so its pretty brutal but if you could talk him down a bit via message you might be able to get it to something palatable. this album has been hard to come by for as long as i remember. 

Yeah I saw that as well. No way am I paying something like $90 for it. And obviously you would expect it to be in mint condition but the sleeve or something is listed as VG. I also saw it on ebay the other day and one of the pics featured the vinyl being played. This may just be me but it doesn't seem appealing for someone to sell a used copy with a pic like that, considering the gross overprice.

That's actually a good idea, I'm new to the idea of discussing prices since I only joined this site a month or so ago or something (a lurker for a long time lol). I'll be willing to pay around $50 though, still very pricey but at least more reasonable. 

just snagged a copy of that Gospel record. One popped up on Discogs for....a bit cheaper than the 85 one on there and I couldn't pass it up. Seller also has some Funeral Diner, Underdark and Wicked EP, and Malady, S/T, for sale:

http://www.discogs.com/seller/dreaminwhiteonwhite

just snagged a copy of that Gospel record. One popped up on Discogs for....a bit cheaper than the 85 one on there and I couldn't pass it up. Seller also has some Funeral Diner, Underdark and Wicked EP, and Malady, S/T, for sale:

Grabbed The Underdark, definitely worth the $18ppd. Thanks for the heads up!

Nice! Hope you enjoy your record.

There's one on discogs, but like you said, pretty outrageous price. If its any consolation, I'm pretty sure I paid at least $50 for this years ago before prices for skramz related stuff got as totally ridiculous as they are now, so its pretty brutal but if you could talk him down a bit via message you might be able to get it to something palatable. this album has been hard to come by for as long as i remember. 

I got my 2nd press copy for 10€ + 10€ shipping on discogs not too long ago. Absolute steal, I know, but yeah sometimes you just have to sit and wait. Then again I paid 50$ with EU shipping for a OG press in "great condition" and it had dirt and dust particles pressed into the grooves so that it plays only with a lot of surface noise. That was a bad one.

I got my 2nd press copy for 10€ + 10€ shipping on discogs not too long ago. Absolute steal, I know, but yeah sometimes you just have to sit and wait. Then again I paid 50$ with EU shipping for a OG press in "great condition" and it had dirt and dust particles pressed into the grooves so that it plays only with a lot of surface noise. That was a bad one.

for sure, nothing is set in stone, that's a great price! no doubt sometimes you have to sit and wait, but i know well the gut weakness of just trying to snap something up. my only point was that this record has always gone for a pretty decent sum, i doubt its price has risen toooooo much in the past 3 years. whereas Saetia vinyl seems like its tripled in cost, which seems counterintuitive, but i used to see S/T go for 50-70 with relative frequency, one of which i snagged for myself, instead of now where it always seems to be 100+. 

• 2 weeks later...