Thinking about selling my CD collection.

Having a hard time deciding whether or not I should just get rid of my CD collection or not.

There are more than 300 of them, don't really listen to them outside of the car.

Wondering if anybody has any opinions on this, maybe any experiences that could give me foresight into whether I might regret it in the future?

Also, Discussion of the CD as a format (e.g.: Audio Quality, Durability, etc)

Thanks!

I was in the same boat. I had about 3-400 CDs and I decided to get rid of them all. Sold the valuable ones on Amazon and traded the rest into a record store. I don't have any regrets about it. I never really used any of them.

This is where I'm at right now too. I ripped all 500+ CD's and threw them on my iPod. Now they are in boxes waiting for me to sell them off. I have access to the music everyday with the iPod. I'll be happy to get some more space in my house and I can use whatever money I get to buy more records to fill the new space in my house.

This is where I'm at right now too. I ripped all 500+ CD's and threw them on my iPod. Now they are in boxes waiting for me to sell them off. I have access to the music everyday with the iPod. I'll be happy to get some more space in my house and I can use whatever money I get to buy more records to fill the new space in my house.

If you ripped 'em all, sell 'em.

I did a major downsizing of cds a year or two ago. Took some time and looked up ones that may have become out of print or were out of print. I made a dollar amount for what was worth my time posting on discogs and ebay and what wasnt. For some that were really common you know going into it that something like NIN pretty hate machine will only fetch a buck or two so you just take it to a local shop. I sold probably 500 over about 6 months and did not regret it

I appreciate the input folks. I think I will probably end up selling them. I want the space more then I care about the money and plan on moving soon so the less I have the better. I imagine I will replace a good percentage of them with their vinyl counterparts as time goes on, but that's a different story. 

I don't know how many CDs I have that are rare, (that almost seems like an oxymoron) but I will follow the lead of my fellow VC'ers and look up the prices to get an idea about that. 

This is where I'm at right now too. I ripped all 500+ CD's and threw them on my iPod. 

Did you rip yours to FLAC or MP3?

Also if anybody finds themselves in my position, I found out this website that pays okay prices and pays for the shipping: http://www.decluttr.com/

I did a higher bitrate mp3, but I'm by no means an audiophile. I have horrible hearing and I knew from experience that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I also knew I couldn't afford any equipment that would make the difference apparent to me either.

My main reason for mp3's was that they wouldn't take up nearly as much room on my hard drive as FLAC's would.

But, if the losslessness is important to you, make that decision BEFORE you start ripping. It takes some time to rip and organize all that music.

I have 300+ cds and i've been considering selling them as well. But they continue to become cheaper and cheaper and honestly probably aren't worth the time to list + the cost to ship and there's not a place in my town that would pay much for them. now I just use records or spotifty.  My cds will likely end up in a box in the basement because after they are ripped to a hard drive they are about as useful as cassettes and VHS tapes.

That decluttr website is weird. Most my CDs are coming up as $0.50-$1.00, but The Last Thing You Forget by Title Fight is apparently worth $4.50. Obviously not a lot, but significantly

more than any others. Was it a limited run cd...?

I found our about them from this FastCompany article that came up on Digg. They said it's just based on demand and Green Day's Insomniac was something they paid top dollar for cause they couldn't keep it in stock, but they had like 300 chopies of Jagged Little Pill so that's only 50 cents or whatever. Are you using their app? It amazes me.

I still buy about as many CDs as I do LPs. For one, they sound as good or better as most vinyl being put out these days, and they are usually much cheaper. I've found that if I'm going to pre-order something online I'll usually go for the vinyl, but if I'm buying something in-store it could go either way. I do try to keep my collection of an artist in the same format.

I'm totally fine with paying $5 for a used CD copy of Static Prevails instead of $100 for the vinyl, or $45 for a reissue from $hopradioca$t that sounds exactly like the CD.

That decluttr website is weird. Most my CDs are coming up as $0.50-$1.00, but The Last Thing You Forget by Title Fight is apparently worth $4.50. Obviously not a lot, but significantly

more than any others. Was it a limited run cd...?

Interesting, I might check that out and see if it's worth my time.

I appreciate the input folks. I think I will probably end up selling them. I want the space more then I care about the money and plan on moving soon so the less I have the better. I imagine I will replace a good percentage of them with their vinyl counterparts as time goes on, but that's a different story. 

I don't know how many CDs I have that are rare, (that almost seems like an oxymoron) but I will follow the lead of my fellow VC'ers and look up the prices to get an idea about that. 

Also if anybody finds themselves in my position, I found out this website that pays okay prices and pays for the shipping: http://www.decluttr.com/

I ripped to 320 mp3, as I figured I would rather punt on digital and focus more money on my turntable setup. That being said I still have my CD's and I have those really tall IKEA shelves so they don't take up much room and I can re-rip if I change my mind.