Coffee Collective

Totally recommend a Chemex. I use mine mostly for multiple cup brewing and have the 6-8 cup model with the glass handle. I kind of don't like the look of Chemex brewers with the wood collar and they seem like they'd be more of a hassle to clean. Chemex makes a smaller model that's better suited to single servings. Hario also makes some kind of device for single cup pour over. That's not to say you can't make one serving in a large Chemex. I do it sometimes. Some things to think about.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I ended up buying a Kalita Wave 185 dropper yesterday, with the 500 ml glass server, a Hario V60 Buono kettle, and a scale off Amazon, I don't remember the make. From everything I read, the Wave is the easiest to make a consistently good cup of coffee, because it allows for a larger margin of error than a Hario, or Chemex.

RE: iced coffee, I hot brew super concentrated stuff in an Aeropress and refrigerate it. It's delicious and it seems easier than fussing with 24+ hour brew times and strainers. Definitely worth a try if you have an Aeropress. This is pretty much the same as my method:

http://www.marco.org/2012/07/30/iced-coffee-with-aeropress

Not the same flavor wise though. Way less acid in cold brew. Also, sitting something in the fridge isn't too much of a hassle. I thoroughly enjoy cold brewing and pouring it off into a carafe that I keep in the fridge and just have cold brew ready to roll whenever I want/need it. Never messed with a chemex or an aeropress or a toddy.....but thusfar for me having two press-presses has been plenty for me hot or cold brew wise....having two I always have the option of hot brew or if we're having guests stayover I can brew some extra cold brew. For the same reason I also like have an autodrip machine with a timer on it...set it ahead of time and have it ready to roll.

Both French Presses came from IKEA at like $7 a piece and I got my haro hand-cranked conical ceramic bean grinder used off of amazon market place for $10....with what I've been able to produce with that low of an investment I can't quite justify the money on Aeropress, chemex, or toddy

Like I said before, I mostly drink coffee for its effects and don't care much about the flavor or if it's fresh etc. But the Vietnamese coffee I had was so good that I'm probably going to order some as soon as I start getting low on beans from the local store.

If anyone is interested, this is where it came from and where I'm going to order from. http://vietnamese-coffee.com/coffee_trung_nguyen_shop.php  On some of them they charge more for whole beans because they say it's more common in Vietnam to buy grounds because of how they make it. They also sell the little metal gravity coffee brewers from $5.25 to about $7. Which is kind of fun and interesting to use makes a pretty good cup.

Bruh...

It had never even occurred to me that you could make a smoothie with coffee. You just changed my life.

It is truly G-d's gift

Are all of you cold brewers doing a course grind like you're supposed to or a finer grind? The last batch I made with a course grind looked too weak.

I went with the Stumptown guide, which is roughly the size of bread crumbs, and I haven't adjusted my grinder since. Seems to work out pretty well for me. I'm also using two different French Presses and alternating pressing one each morning so each batch is a 48-hour brew time and I'm constantly rotating them out.

When I started cold brewing I had read that just over night was enough....turned out super weak.....tried a 24-hour and it was better.....asked my boss (Stumptown trained barista who managed a non-Stumptown coffee shop for years) and she told me to bump up my cold-brew times in 12-hour increments until I got it to the concentration that I desired. For me 48-hours seems to work

When I started cold brewing I had read that just over night was enough....turned out super weak.....tried a 24-hour and it was better.....asked my boss (Stumptown trained barista who managed a non-Stumptown coffee shop for years) and she told me to bump up my cold-brew times in 12-hour increments until I got it to the concentration that I desired. For me 48-hours seems to work

Same thing with me. I noticed a lot of guides say prepare at night and drink in the morning but thats just not enough time at all. Before I was draining it all at once but now Im just pouring 1 cup at a time and putting the rest back until the next day. I'm using a 3 cup jar but I might start using my other 2 cup one as well to keep the cycle going. Looked at getting a pitcher at the dollar store the other day but I kind of like the jars for now. Just using my French press as a strainer for now and most of the grounds stay in the jar.