Coffee Collective

This is my kinda thread.

I brew everyday with an Aeropress (look it up and buy one if you don't know what it is), sometimes I'll change is up with a French press. I pretty much buy my beans from Stumptown and Counter Culture. I use a burr grinder that I recently bought and am very happy with it. Currently I'm brewing beans from Guatamala out of Buddy Brew Coffee in Tampa.

How do you feel with your aeropress vs french press? I have never heard of the aeropress before this moment.

I used to think that way about Starbucks, but a friend of mine started working there and changed my mind. He gets really creative with his drinks. He's messing around with recipes all the time and now whenever I go in there, I either ask him for a hot or cold drink and he makes me whatever he's been working on. I love that! I wished all Starbucks had people like him. I ask baristas at the other locations and a lot of them don't mess around with the ingredients, which bums me out. I'd love to get a weekend job there just to be able to learn my way around the ingredients. That, or Teavana!

I usually drink my coffee black, and although Starbucks isn't the best, I have to say that Tribute blend has to be the best dark roast I've ever had there. So damn good!

Any here ever been to Urth cafe? They have a location up in Pasadena, CA that has some good stuff there too :)

Urth is the business. My wife and I go to the one in LA every now and then.

What is a 'flat white'? I work at a coffee shop and I don't know what that is.

Similar to a cappuccino, but smaller because there's less milk so the coffee comes through much stronger. It's an Australian thing that's become popular since all this third wave coffee stuff. Is this just an Australian/UK thing?

Similar to a cappuccino, but smaller because there's less milk so the coffee comes through much stronger. It's an Australian thing that's become popular since all this third wave coffee stuff. Is this just an Australian/UK thing?

Might be. I haven't heard of it til now, but it kinda sounds like a small latte, just.. really light on the milk?

I ask baristas at the other locations and a lot of them don't mess around with the ingredients, which bums me out. 

I dunno about other places, but the main reasons for my place is 1. Cost of ingredients to mess around (small business), and 2. barely anyone gives me the freedom to just make them something. I still try and do it from time to time, because our drink list never changes and it's boring serving the same thing all the time. I've tried to make a cookie latte, orange creamsicle frap, banana split, deluxe neopolitan. I hate when I mention how many flavors we have and what I could try and make and they just decide on plain ass vanilla. BORING, DUDE.

I like plain coffee. Grind up some beans, toss 'em in a press with hot water, and wait a few minutes... easy, cheap, and delicious. I've tried just about all the beans offered at my grocery store, but I'd say these are my favorite.

0003068484348_500X500.jpg

Actually, what's REALLY good is to throw a little chunk of mozzarella in the coffee. Seriously. A coworker told me about it a few years ago... doesn't change the taste of the coffee at all. But once you've drained your cup, you have the most amazing tasting piece of cheese ever. Coffee soaked and soft... I wanted to vomit when he first told me, but seriously it's amazing. 

Oooh I forgot about frozen coffee. Probably cause I haven't done it for a while. Sometimes I would make extra coffee, pour some into ice trays to freeze and some just in the fridge. Then when I get back from the gym, I'd use milk, the chocolate protein powder, the cold coffee, and the coffee ice cubes, and blend it all up. 

How do you feel with your aeropress vs french press? I have never heard of the aeropress before this moment.

I'm in love with my aeropress. The way I see it, it comes out as a smoother cup of coffee. Its basically a filtered french press so their aren't the oils and such that accumulate with the french press. In a month, I'll use my french press maybe 7 days and the aeropress all of the others. I wish there was a place other than a major city/third wave shop where you could request a coffee shop make your cup with an aeropress but it's kind of one of those things where you just need to check it out. For more validation, I'd head to http://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/ and see how much they are in love with it as well.

I'm in love with my aeropress. The way I see it, it comes out as a smoother cup of coffee. Its basically a filtered french press so their aren't the oils and such that accumulate with the french press. In a month, I'll use my french press maybe 7 days and the aeropress all of the others. I wish there was a place other than a major city/third wave shop where you could request a coffee shop make your cup with an aeropress but it's kind of one of those things where you just need to check it out. For more validation, I'd head to http://www.reddit.com/r/Coffee/ and see how much they are in love with it as well.

I back this.

With it finally getting warm I've been drinking only cold brew. I've been using a Hario, and also picked up this Bruer from a Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bruer/cold-bruer-a-cold-brew-coffee-system 

The bruer makes great brew, but the glass is paper thin so I don't think it's going to last. Anyone else have any cold brew recipes and/or methods of brewing?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually just started drinking coffee because I have to be at work early lately but I'm trying to find what I like.

Also I had someone at work ask to put their espresso shot in their milkshake which I thought was odd but also a good idea i guess??

Hot espresso shot + frappucchino/blended drink kinda messes with the texture.

Cold brew in place of water or milk does the trick.

Also thinking of stupid frap recipes for the summer, someone ordered a peanut butter banana one the other day that I might steal.

Screw yall I'm bringin coffee collective back, even though the fraps are the furthest thing from coffee.

Hot espresso shot + frappucchino/blended drink kinda messes with the texture.

Cold brew in place of water or milk does the trick.

Also thinking of stupid frap recipes for the summer, someone ordered a peanut butter banana one the other day that I might steal.

Screw yall I'm bringin coffee collective back, even though the fraps are the furthest thing from coffee.

Yikes. Before y'all start getting into all these weird complex blended drinks, know this. Your barista will mess your order up. It will be on purpose. They will do it every time.

Example: One of the places I used to work, people would come in and order just ridiculous shit that wasn't on the menu that would take like 5 minutes to make, they even started bringing in their own bananas, like "can you put this in there?" FUCK no.

You want a banana, peanut butter, chocolate smoothie with 4 shots of espresso and whipped cream? That'll be $10 please to add all these extras, and I expect a tip since you're holding up the line for your stupid drink.

Just keep that in mind. Sorry to get all heated, but that kind of douchebaggery used to really burn me up.