Coffee Collective

My new saturday ritual is to go to ModCup in Jersey City and get a nice pour over.  And then take some beans home for the week.  I do french press with the electric tea kettle.  Drink so much of the Bali.  Can't recommend it enough.  They do mailorder.  Also, I love cold brew.  Will be doing a lot more cold brew when it warms the F up.

• 2 weeks later...

This week I started adding hot water to my cold brewed. Before I really didn't agree with people saying cold brew was more concentrated. So not only was I not watering it down but was drinking the whole batch which was made with 2 scoops! 

Now I'm using half, adding hot water to it, and saving the other half for the next day while the next batch is brewing. And I guess it is still strong enough when diluted so maybe I just had too much when I drank double without dilution.

Just emptied a 36oz peanut butter jar so I have a bigger brewing container.  B)  Wanted to post a pic but I'm too lazy and it really just looks like a big jar of dirt anyways.

During the summer time I make weekly batches of cold brew, mainly because it's easy to make and go. But it's delicious when you have a lighter, fruitier roast. I also found adding coconut milk is amazing, (I'm not vegan I just love all things coconut.) 

I use the Toddy system to make it, it's super simple and pretty awesome. 

http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW

I had one of those Toddy systems but returned it after a couple of weeks. The foam plug would have to be jammed in super tight for it not to leak, and doing so cracked the plastic near the hole. It made good brew, but the design isn't made for a long life imo. 

Cold brew has pretty much destroyed my love of hot coffee. So good if done well. 

Using my french press to drain mine until I bother to get something else. I need to get a better coffee when the crap I have runs out so I can see what everyone says about cold brew tasting better. I drink coffee for the effect and the only time I think it taste great is if it has lots of sugar and other junk that will make me crash or some fancy grounds I had a while ago. I like the idea of cold brew because of lower acidity though.

Now I have a little jar and a big jar brewing away in the fridge it might be tempting to start drinking more than 1 cup a day again.  :D

• 1 month later...

Any Chemex fans here? I alternate between that and Aeropress for my morning/afternoon cups. I like my stuff hot and black. When I buy coffee from a shop, I always get espresso because it's the one thing I can't make myself. If I'm feeling really dead, I'll get a Red Eye (drip coffee with an espresso shot).

Still trying to find a reliable source for tasty fresh roasted beans in the Burbank/North Hollywood area that doesn't charge $18 for a 12 oz. bag.

Going to make a 24-hour cold brew and pour it off into ice cube trays and use that instead of ice cubes for my normal 48-hour cold brew.....this last batch of simple syrup I made for cold brew this past week was awesome, used organic demerara filtered water and an organic vanilla bean sliced and scraped, then filtered out the seeds....on point for this cold brew

Any recommendations for someone trying to get into coffee? I've only ever tasted gas station type junk and I didn't even know how to mix it/what to add so it came out awful. I haven't given it a fair shot since, so I've stuck to Java flavored monsters for all nighters.

To start? Get yourself a french press, read a bit on how to use it, head down to your local small-time coffee shop or roaster, tell them exactly what you wrote there, and ask for help picking a coffee. A quick google search for Dallas says "Crooked Tree Coffeehouse", "Oak Lawn Coffee", and "Murray Street Coffee" are all rated pretty high, or just do a bit of your own research to find a place that looks good to you.

When you decide on a bag of coffee, chances are they can grind it there for you - tell them you use a french press, and they'll pick the right setting for you; it will be course grind. Coffee will always taste best when it's freshly ground right before you use it, but setting yourself up with a proper grinder and other things can be a pretty hefty investment, so having the whole bag ground in advance will do just fine for what you want.

Again, do a bit of research on how to use your press, measure out your coffee, and time it properly. Leaving the coffee in the press for too long will over-extract and give you a gross bitter taste. Taking it too soon will leave the coffee a bit weak and watery. Play with it a bit, find something you like. Fair warning - the coffee that you make will likely taste strong and harsh, and it's pretty possible you'll hate it. There's nothing wrong with adding sugar and dairy to your coffee if that's what you like, so go for it. Do me a favor, though, and every time you make a cup of coffee, taste it first just black, without adding anything. Do this every time, just a little sip. Over time I think you'll find yourself enjoying it with less dairy/sugar.

I'm a barista at an espresso bar, and this is my ideal customer - someone who comes in not knowing anything at all, but is excited to learn and will really listen to any advice I can give or anything else I have to say. 

Yeah I never liked coffee until a friend gave me a super sugary frap and eventually I ended up drinking it black or with very little sweetness or cream. Just sent my mom an Aeropress because she sent me a Vietnamese coffee maker and French press last year to try some better ways of making coffee than a cheap coffee maker with paper filters. I mainly use the French press but the gravity coffee maker works pretty well too. I might have to look into ordering more of the Vietnamese coffee too because it was the first coffee that made me understand coffee lovers. It had a sweet chocolatey flavor and was nice and strong. Since running out I have just been using whatever because I mainly drink coffee for the effect.

Going back to the cold brew discussion from the last page, i recently started making my own. i just soak the beans overnight in my french press. In the morning, i make a smoothie with coffee, coconut milk, banana, dates, coconut shavings, and almond butter. Delicious.

Alright, I'm finally looking into getting something for pour over. Would you guys recommend a Chemex? Or is there another option that is better? Thanks!

Totally recommend a Chemex. I use mine mostly for multiple cup brewing and have the 6-8 cup model with the glass handle. I kind of don't like the look of Chemex brewers with the wood collar and they seem like they'd be more of a hassle to clean. Chemex makes a smaller model that's better suited to single servings. Hario also makes some kind of device for single cup pour over. That's not to say you can't make one serving in a large Chemex. I do it sometimes. Some things to think about.

Time to brew my morning cup and load up a few jars for cold brewing again. Still on the look out for a super cheap strainer so I dont have to use my french press or ruin my coffee with paper filters.

Had one in my hands at a thrift store a while back that was 60 cents but somehow embarrassingly had forgotten my wallet and they were about to close. By the time I bothered going back it was gone.

RE: iced coffee, I hot brew super concentrated stuff in an Aeropress and refrigerate it. It's delicious and it seems easier than fussing with 24+ hour brew times and strainers. Definitely worth a try if you have an Aeropress. This is pretty much the same as my method:

http://www.marco.org/2012/07/30/iced-coffee-with-aeropress

I use this one. Probably not the best or cheapest but it works perfectly for me.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0095ZBJT2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OA0zvb1VHJ6GM

I just like the idea of just using a jar and a strainer. I just realized I stopped doing cold brew when I bought whole beans. And yes even if you don't make a smoothie, blending with butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, or whatever is pretty great. I do it every morning.