Coffee Collective

I think French pressed coffee is leagues better than drip.

I'll def have to buy one then.

YOUVE CONVINCED ME

Also hear that grinding your own coffee is the way to go.

Is that the case with a French press though? Like, I HAVE to grind it myself?

Or can I use any ground coffee and just do it from there?

If I'm buying the French press, I'll probably end up grinding my beans. Might as well get the full experience.

Fun fact: coffee isn't originally from Columbia. Everyone thinks so and usually always associate it with that - among another big one - but apparently this all originated from Ethiopia.

Wether it's where it originated or which is considered the best, I can't remember.

But yeah.

I've also been roasting my own beans as of late. The process and ritual of it is therapeutic, and the coffee doesn't get fresher than that. My friends and family seem to like it enough, so I'm taking some bags of it up to a local farmers market next month. I'll also be brewing on-site.

Anyone here make scones? I've been experimenting with recipes, but haven't made any I've fallen in love with yet. I figure it couldn't hurt to bake a batch or two for the market.

What kind of equipment do you use to do small batch roasting?

There are some super heavy duty popcorn air popper from the 80's that you can modify. I went to several thrift shops and luckily stumbled upon this

32.jpg

The reason you want one from the 80's is due to the bottom (where you place beans) being completely made of solid metal (I think steel or brass) vs today's plastic. It allows you to hit really high temps without messing up your roasting session.

I figured out how to rewire it so I could control the fan and the heat separately while also installing a high end thermometer so I could monitor the heat throughout the roasting process.

here is a good list of poppers to look out for http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

For what I use it for and the feedback I have gotten from people who have ask for the coffee I roast I would probably need to plunk down about a grand for a machine to step up my roasting to get a better product. My favorite part of roasting is controlling how dark you take your beans and sometimes I will make a blend where I take one bean (yemen mocha) close to french roast while leaving another in the medium roast (usually la minta) to compliment each other in the blend.

• 3 months later...

Any cold brew fans in here? I drink that most of the time. I got one of these:

http://www.bruer.co/

Build quality isn't good(very fragile), but it makes tasty brew if quality beans are used.

Do you have control over the speed of the drip? There's a drastic flavor change between 1 drop per second, 1 drop every 2 seconds, 1 drop every 3 seconds, etc.

I have a different model slow drip brewer and had tons of fun trying it every different setting. One bag of coffee could taste completely different. My personal preference was 1 drop every 3s.

Also I don't think I've posted here before. I typically brew daily.

Hario V60 for pour over, purchasing a Kalita Wave to try something new.

Aeropress for coffee I don't like poured over

Bodum French press for iced coffee

Baratza Encore grinder

I typically prefer fruity coffees, like an Ethiopian Harrar, but I also like brighter/sweeter Central American coffees like a Honduran. I'm lucky to live in a large city with a great roaster Batdorf and Bronson.

Do you have control over the speed of the drip? There's a drastic flavor change between 1 drop per second, 1 drop every 2 seconds, 1 drop every 3 seconds, etc.

I have a different model slow drip brewer and had tons of fun trying it every different setting. One bag of coffee could taste completely different. My personal preference was 1 drop every 3s.

There is a control valve on the top, which is rotated to get the desired speed. The thing is that sometimes a perfect drip rate at room temp (when setting up) can slow down drastically when putting the unit in the fridge due to the condensation/cooling.

http://www.bruer.co/pages/instuctions

What model do you have? Pretty much every model I've seen is the immersion method. I wish these guys would do a V2 and make it a stronger unit with a few other design changes. 

I have a no name brand ordered from Japan. I saw your's in the store and I'm intrigued by them.

Why do you refrigerate it? I've never seen slow drip refridgerated, probably due to the reason you posted.

I usually make mine at night, and I don't have an icemaker so if I want it cold in the morning it has to go in the fridge.

If you don't mind expermenting, I'd recommend the bruer...with the build quality caveat. The glass is extremely thin, so if you're ok with handling it with care you'll be fine. Mine doesn't get put on the granite counter or in the fridge unless there is a kitchen towel underneath it. With that said, it does create some tasty brew and their customer service seems top-notch. If you check out the blog on their site they have some really cool, geeky experiments they've done. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, I have to share.

My friends surprised me with an early (a couple days early) birthday gift and they bought me a coffee machine that only makes either 8oz or 14oz - which I think is perfect - and a coffee grinder.

So yesterday I went ahead and bought some beans. There's A LOT of options.

I ended up going with Mocha Java.

I then realized it was 10pm, so I decided to wait until morning.

So I start grinding the beans today and I did a little research and it said for the ground to be the consistency of salt. Or close to it.

8GpmhVM.jpg

So then the coffee brewed. Filling my whole room with great aroma.

KIVmVPv.jpg

Let me just say: to ANYONE that loves drinking coffee and hasn't made their own from beans, YOURE MISSING OUT.

Legit, the best cup of coffee I've had thus far. I can't stop drinking it.

It's not bitter; it's a little sweet (despite me adding stevia).

I'm so in love with coffee...

When we moved, I had to leave my coffee maker behind due to lack of room in the van, which is a bummer because I had a killer coffee maker.  We were using her Keurig, which I wasn't terribly fond of until it stopped working so now we've been using a french press, which is, in my opinion, the best way to enjoy coffee.  I'm also a huge coffee snob. 

When we moved, I had to leave my coffee maker behind due to lack of room in the van, which is a bummer because I had a killer coffee maker. We were using her Keurig, which I wasn't terribly fond of until it stopped working so now we've been using a french press, which is, in my opinion, the best way to enjoy coffee. I'm also a huge coffee snob.

Ahh, that sucks.

But yes, a French press is my next investment. I mean, this one makes great coffee, so I can't wait to see what a French press does for my coffee.

I kind of want to buy decaf too, so I can drink this Mocha Java in the morning and decaf all day, so I won't get all jittery.

I just got a Chemex but am waiting for my grinder before to come in before I get some beans. Do you guys buy your beans local or online?

I've only just ventured into buying beans, so, so far it's been locally.

I got it from my local grocery store, inside those tube things in the coffee aisle. I assume those are as fresh as you can get locally, since they must change them out constantly.

I bought a brand called Hometown Specialty Coffee. They're in Pittsburgh, PA. Tastes pretty damn good to me.