I'm not really bothered by the decision, but I'm just afraid I'll see Sherlock or Khan, that's why I would have loved someone more unknown cast in the role.

In other news, here's a cool interview with RDJ:

http://media.collider.com/collider_audio/Avengers_Age_of_Ultron_Set_Visit/Robert_Downey_Jr_Avengers_Age_of_Ultron_Set_Visit_interview.mp3

(and the transcription: http://collider.com/robert-downey-jr-avengers-age-of-ultron-interview/)

They have one with Mark Ruffalo as well:

http://media.collider.com/collider_audio/Avengers_Age_of_Ultron_Set_Visit/mark_ruffalo_Avengers_Age_of_Ultron_Set_Visit_interview.mp3

http://collider.com/mark-ruffalo-avengers-age-of-ultron-interview/

I worded that a bit awkwardly. Not an unknown in the sense that they haven't been in a major movie ever before, but someone that doesn't have a strong character attached to them in the current pop culture. Cumberbatch does.

RDJ, Ruffalo, Hemsworth, Evans, Pratt, none of them did.

You know, someone that you go "oh yeah, I've seen him before, what was that movie called" and not "oh, that's the *insert a random popular geek-approved character* guy".

Guess it just depends on what you watch....all of them had a strong background to me before their marvel rolls except Hemsworth.  Wouldn't consider his Star Trek roll big enough to over ride my thoughts of Thor.

But Pratt will always be Parks and Rec to me.

Downey - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Samuel Jackson - Snakes on a Plane

Evans - Scott Pilgrim (only because I try to blot out Fantastic 4)

Renner - Hurt Locker

Scarlett - Lost in Translation

Ruffalo - Probably Eternal Sunshine

Smulders - How I met your Mother

Yah, I mean, I don't want to argue here, but everything he mentioned falls more into the "that's the role that stands out for me" and not the "that's the role everyone knows them for" category.

Apart from Smulders, of course, but there's no Maria Hill movie on the horizon, so it has nothing to do with discussing the recognizability of the actor that portrays the titular character.

Or there just might be a bunch of people cosplaying as "Stan from Eternal Sunshine" and hot topics selling t-shirts of Harry Lockhart and I'm just missing it...

Yah, I mean, I don't want to argue here, but everything he mentioned falls more into the "that's the role that stands out for me" and not the "that's the role everyone knows them for" category.

Apart from Smulders, of course, but there's no Maria Hill movie on the horizon, so it has nothing to do with discussing the recognizability of the actor that portrays the titular character.

Or there just might be a bunch of people cosplaying as "Stan from Eternal Sunshine" and hot topics selling t-shirts of Harry Lockhart and I'm just missing it...

I was just kidding around. I got what he meant. I've actually never seen Snakes on a Plane.

Fair enough.....but I also don't see people dressing like Khan or Benedicts Sherlock either....

At least there are t-shirts! :D

But yeah, Khan isn't really a fair argument, because it's still very recent. Sherlock though I believe is the widely identifying character for him.

It's all nitpicking really, so far marvel has always made sure they make the main actors their own, at least to me it always felt that way.