What's your opinion on bullshit bids?

So I've been seeing this happen so often on ebay (mostly with Title Fight stuff) where people bid things up to way above average selling prices and then never pay. I know this because a lot of decently rare stuff ends up relisted a few days after it ends.

This person had the balls to call people out on it in their description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351076331768?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What's everyone's thoughts on this. It fucks up popsike listings too. I know my local shop uses popsike to price stuff, and these auctions that actually didn't end at these prices end up inflated the real prices.

I know this is wordy and convoluted but it's just getting annoying. This and I've been trying to sell a TF 7" and just tonight I've had 5-6 people be like "can you hold it for me for like a week or two so I can get the money."

Anyone have any stories?

I always assume it's younger teens impulsively raising their bids as the auction winds down and panicking when they learn they actually won and don't have the money for it. if it's anything other than that then they're just dicks.

the only time I think it's acceptable to put in bullshit bids on an item is when someone is noticeably trying to flip a record. create a new account, bid that shit way up, make the seller think they're getting way more than it's worth, and piss them off by not paying and then the negative feedback doesn't matter. assuming 0 feedback users aren't blocked.

as petty as it sounds I'd get a kick out of ruining someone's auction if I was part of a label/band and saw my records being sold to take advantage of someone else.

It's pretty bullshit. No one wins from false bidding, the seller and actual bidders have their time wasted, and if you're making the fake bids then there's probably something better you could be doing to waste your time.

Also, I don't understand why people feel the need to place a ton of bids on auctions that still have like 6 days left before it ends.

In the end the most annoying aspect of it is the artificial inflation of the price of the record. Some guy sees a record he has go for a lot and then puts his up for a buy-it-now of a similar price. And eventually everyone on Ebay and Discogs thinks a record is worth three times it's actual worth.

I always assume it's younger teens impulsively raising their bids as the auction winds down and panicking when they learn they actually won and don't have the money for it. if it's anything other than that then they're just dicks.

the only time I think it's acceptable to put in bullshit bids on an item is when someone is noticeably trying to flip a record. create a new account, bid that shit way up, make the seller think they're getting way more than it's worth, and piss them off by not paying and then the negative feedback doesn't matter. assuming 0 feedback users aren't blocked.

as petty as it sounds I'd get a kick out of ruining someone's auction if I was part of a label/band and saw my records being sold to take advantage of someone else.

I agree with this 100% pal. 

It's just extremely difficult when I start something at 99 cents because I need some cash for a bill, or school books, and someone bids it up to 89 dollars & then doesn't pay  :mellow:

It screws me over, and other people who actually want the record when someone lists it the next day for buy it now $90.00 "because the last one went for 89." 

Buyer: 

No longer a registered user

this dude bought a handful opf 7" records from me on ebay, then tried to backout of the only one that sold for more than $9, which was a $33 title fight 7".  I wish I still had the message from him in 2010, he was all  "i didnt think it'd sell for that much, can I not pay for it?" and I told him no, that he was going to pay for it because he put that bid in and I was not going to feel sorry for him.  he left this positive feedback

item was in great shape but was not pleased with the reversal process attempt

This isn't vinyl related but I once had a bidder do that to me, for a 30 dollar purse. Proceeded to tell me that paying is not a problem because she buys many things weekly, but they just needed their husband's permission to pay for it and "as a woman I should understand lol."

Then told me she wanted me to cancel the transaction like other sellers did for her before. Did not.

Then she gave me positive feedback for the item in an attempt to sway me. Eventually paid for that shit after I opened a case. Gave her scathing feedback in return after I got dat $$$$

This isn't vinyl related but I once had a bidder do that to me, for a 30 dollar purse. Proceeded to tell me that paying is not a problem because she buys many things weekly, but they just needed their husband's permission to pay for it and "as a woman I should understand lol."

Then told me she wanted me to cancel the transaction like other sellers did for her before. Did not.

Then she gave me positive feedback for the item in an attempt to sway me. Eventually paid for that shit after I opened a case. Gave her scathing feedback in return after I got dat $$$$

I just have to say I LOOOOVE Heavyweights!!!! Haha

I've actually had the most issues with people needing time to come up with the money for cheap 3 and 4 dollar records.

It's these people that have also been the ones to nitpick any issue with the record.  The only people who have ever returned a record to me have been the ones who paid more for shipping than the item.