Oldboy Korean movie

awesome movie, i'd check out I Saw the Devil too. Another South Korean director who is unreal, its probably even more of a head fuck than Oldboy in terms of sheer experience. 

is that scary? i dont do supernatural movies. but seriously that was a great movie. 

is that scary? i dont do supernatural movies. but seriously that was a great movie. 

hard movie to pin down, could be considered 'scary' but moreso its just fucking brutal. beautifully shot, incredibly written, ultra creative genre bender that mixes lots of well known genres/tropes to create what is essentially a horror/thriller with a few detours into black humor. watch the youtube trailer, you'll want to see it. you get the feeling that the heart of the movie is basically a void but its really damn entertaining. there is a lot of violence against women in the movie though, its all pretty ridiculous and thankfully there aren't any graphic rape scenes, buts its probably not a great choice if that is a sensitive subject for you. otherwise, i'd say dig in. i'd also second whosthehotfrog in that Lady Vengeance is awesome (it has a really hard to watch scene though), but i think I Saw the Devil is probably the pinnacle of this style of South Korean film.

Kim Ji Woon is incredible, soooo much variety in his films. If you're just looking for a great time, The Good, the Bad, and the Weird is another awesome movie of his, very hysterical and has Lee Byun Hun (the good guy in I Saw the Devil) playing an incredible villain. 

edit: oh and the main character in Oldboy is the villain of I Saw the Devil, and as you can imagine he too turns in a totally unreal performance. probably one of the most evil characters in anything i've seen or read, right up there with Judge Holden. 

hard movie to pin down, could be considered 'scary' but moreso its just fucking brutal. beautifully shot, incredibly written, ultra creative genre bender that mixes lots of well known genres/tropes to create what is essentially a horror/thriller with a few detours into black humor. watch the youtube trailer, you'll want to see it. you get the feeling that the heart of the movie is basically a void but its really damn entertaining. there is a lot of violence against women in the movie though, its all pretty ridiculous and thankfully there aren't any graphic rape scenes, buts its probably not a great choice if that is a sensitive subject for you. otherwise, i'd say dig in. i'd also second whosthehotfrog in that Lady Vengeance is awesome (it has a really hard to watch scene though), but i think I Saw the Devil is probably the pinnacle of this style of South Korean film.

Kim Ji Woon is incredible, soooo much variety in his films. If you're just looking for a great time, The Good, the Bad, and the Weird is another awesome movie of his, very hysterical and has Lee Byun Hun (the good guy in I Saw the Devil) playing an incredible villain. 

edit: oh and the main character in Oldboy is the villain of I Saw the Devil, and as you can imagine he too turns in a totally unreal performance. probably one of the most evil characters in anything i've seen or read, right up there with Judge Holden. 

The scene in the doctors office where the villain he gets his Achilles sliced is pretty brutal. 

You might also want to check out Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance. Similar movies by the same director.

I was gonna say, Oldboy is part of a pseudo-trilogy with those movies. Oldboy is sweeeeet though.

Also check out Tetsuo: The Iron Man and it's sequels. Pretty weird, fucked up stuff. Japanese though, not Korean.

why not just read hunger games???????????

They're really not the same.

awesome movie, i'd check out I Saw the Devil too. Another South Korean director who is unreal, its probably even more of a head fuck than Oldboy in terms of sheer experience. 

I Saw The Devil is a fucking masterpiece.