Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

Honestly, I used to love AP.net. Found alot of bands through them, but slowly stopped going there because of all the staff's "holier than thou" attitude. They can take their shitty advances and shove em up their ass for all I care.

Also, the fact they promote some of the most HORRIBLE excuses for hip-hop/rap music. I know, its a "punk" site, but why the fuck they push bullshit bubblegum garbage like lil wayne and young thug instead of up and coming independent artists really grinds my gears. Page views I guess. Yeah, theyre real "punk".

I think Jason is right when he says that price is determined by demand, not cost.

Isn't this the same reason why people sell rare records on eBay or even on these boards for a premium? Or, isn't this the same reason why VC has a rule that says we can't "ruin" someone's sale by pointing potential buyers to a retailer/seller where they can get a record cheaper than what it is being sold for on the boards.

It's because everyone has their own individual perceived value of records and it is up to him/her to decide whether or not they want to pay the given price. Scarcity drives up the price. If no one purchases it at that price, the price goes down to reach the equilibrium of supply/demand (i.e. deciding to wait to buy a record when it goes on clearance because you know the supply won't sell out given the current price). It's just economics/price elasticity.

That being said, I stand by what I said earlier in the thread:

If I was a label, I would try to bring the cost of LPs down and forgo a larger profit margin. This builds the reputation of a label and constructs some brand loyalty. For example, Polyvinyl's prices are pretty fair most of the time and therefore, I'll take chances and buy LPs from their artists whose music I don't know very well. Brand loyalty and a strong reputation = greater consumer lifetime value.

Honestly, I used to love AP.net. Found alot of bands through them, but slowly stopped going there because of all the staff's "holier than thou" attitude. They can take their shitty advances and shove em up their ass for all I care.

Also, the fact they promote some of the most HORRIBLE excuses for hip-hop/rap music. I know, its a "punk" site, but why the fuck they push bullshit bubblegum garbage like lil wayne and young thug instead of up and coming independent artists really grinds my gears. Page views I guess. Yeah, theyre real "punk".

You lost me in that last paragraph. Especially because those aren't the artists that get the most love at all.

Danny Brown, YG, Future, all of Black Hippy, Kanye. All some of the best artists currently making music.

It's also not a punk site, it started as a Blink 182 and Mxpx fan site that gradually became a scene centered site that still covered all genres of music for the most part. The staff don't represent the entire community.

I think Jason is right when he says that price is determined by demand, not cost.

Isn't this the same reason why people sell rare records on eBay or even on these boards for a premium? Or, isn't this the same reason why VC has a rule that says we can't "ruin" someone's sale by pointing potential buyers to a retailer/seller where they can get a record cheaper than what it is being sold for on the boards.

It's because everyone has their own individual perceived value of records and it is up to him/her to decide whether or not they want to pay the given price. Scarcity drives up the price. If no one purchases it at that price, the price goes down to reach the equilibrium of supply/demand (i.e. deciding to wait to buy a record when it goes on clearance because you know the supply won't sell out given the current price). It's just economics/price elasticity.

That being said, I stand by what I said earlier in the thread:

True enough, something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

That's always been true in my lifetime and I don't see it changing unless we fully reject capitalism. The other side of having that is that we have the choice to disagree about that perceived worth.

Much as there were some good points for a western consumer at the time like cheap things in the state shops, having worked in some communist countries when it was still in full flow give me full blown capitalism every time.

True enough, something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

That's always been true in my lifetime and I don't see it changing unless we fully reject capitalism. The other side of having that is that we have the choice to disagree about that perceived worth.

Much as there were some good points for a western consumer at the time like cheap things in the state shops, having worked in some communist countries when it was still in full flow give me full blown capitalism every time.

Exactly. Consumers can disagree on perceived value, but if the demand is high enough then the price will remain the same (and probably even rise for future releases, which is what is happening as the vinyl craze continues to grow).

Do you mind clarifying your last paragraph? Sorry it was a little confusing. Thanks!

You lost me in that last paragraph. Especially because those aren't the artists that get the most love at all.

Danny Brown, YG, Future, all of Black Hippy, Kanye. All some of the best artists currently making music.

It's also not a punk site, it started as a Blink 182 and Mxpx fan site that gradually became a scene centered site that still covered all genres of music for the most part. The staff don't represent the entire community.

Youre kidding right, Future and YG? Exactly what I am talking about.

You tell me how many underground independent rap artists get shown love over there. Artists like Danny Brown might get a post every once in a blue moon. You missed my point completely. As for the artists you mention, all major label and all extremely popular ALREADY. TDE might not be a major, but their exposure most certainly is. Blink and MXPX arent/or werent at one time considered "punk"?

Last time I checked, its not up to the community what gets posted over there.

Things I've learned about vinyl from Jason Tate:

1. Only "real" labels are allowed to press records

2. they can change whatever they want for them, because Capitalism

They can't charge whatever they want for them. They can charge whatever supply and demand dictates. Even though we may disagree with some of the exorbitant prices of some records, I feel like we can't be mad about a retailer charging market value.

Youre kidding right, Future and YG? Exactly what I am talking about.

You tell me how many underground independent rap artists get shown love over there. Artists like Danny Brown might get a post every once in a blue moon. You missed my point completely. As for the artists you mention, all major label and all extremely popular ALREADY. TDE might not be a major, but their exposure most certainly is. Blink and MXPX arent/or werent at one time considered "punk"?

Last time I checked, its not up to the community what gets posted over there.

The YG album is the best hip hop album of the year and unless Kanye puts something out I doubt that will change. In my top ten of the year, easily.

Also Jason loves Doomtree, overrates them so highly.

Exactly. Consumers can disagree on perceived value, but if the demand is high enough then the price will remain the same (and probably even rise for future releases, which is what is happening as the vinyl craze continues to grow).

Do you mind clarifying your last paragraph? Sorry it was a little confusing. Thanks!

it was a bit tongue in cheek, I was trying to say that at the time one advantage communism had for a westerner working there was the state shops where things were ridiculously cheap but even with that I'm quite happy with capitalism and the things were only cheap to me in the state shops because of my capitalist buying power.

it was a bit tongue in cheek, I was trying to say that at the time one advantage communism had for a westerner working there was the state shops where things were ridiculously cheap but even with that I'm quite happy with capitalism and the things were only cheap to me in the state shops because of my capitalist buying power.

Ah gotcha. I have no experience living in a communist country, but I trust you when you say that you prefer capitalism!