Jason Tate: "Yes, vinyl prices are going up. No, I don't feel bad."

I bought TDAGARIM (white or pearl I believe) for 16.99 just four years ago at Hot Topic. If it was possible then, then why isn't possible now?

supply and demand. simplest form of understanding economics. Nobody cared 4 years ago. Now lots of people do, so cha-ching! its like gas. Not defending it, but its how it goes with like....everything. House prices go up when people have money to spend again and more people start looking for houses(rentals have gone up in price since people were foreclosing on houses they owned), certain car prices go up, gas goes up, the price of cheese goes up. Complaining does nothing. Support who you want to support, and don't support the massive labels cashing in, if you can hold off on getting that sweet 90's album repress. If you want to spend $35 on a Finch record, go for it, you wanna spend $45 on a Mars Volta record, go for it, but to give in and make these purchases and then turn around and bitch....you're part of the problem you need to realize.

Those together cost me around, if not less, than the price Hot Topic is selling Common Courtesy for right this moment.  I don't love Tigers Jaw by any stretch of the imagination, but I owned "Two Worlds" for a while.  I'd definitely pick up their new record if it was priced better than it is.

Do you mean if the price in general was better, or through Hot Topic? It's a fully embossed package pressed on the highest quality jackets with printed full color inner sleeves, and it costs $14. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Do you mean if the price in general was better, or through Hot Topic? It's a fully embossed package pressed on the highest quality jackets with printed full color inner sleeves, and it costs $14. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

do you know your tigers jaw record is being sold for 20.50 at hot topic?

how much did you wholesale them for?

Pretty sure he means through Hot Topic. In my opinion the packaging used for Charmer is fantastic and totally worth $14 (Which I think Is a good standard price for single LPs). Hot Topic has just realized they can sell an exclusive variant for ~$7 more.

do you know your tigers jaw record is being sold for 20.50 at hot topic?

how much did you wholesale them for?

Yes, I do know that. Newbury Comics sells it for the same price more or less. Those are our two biggest accounts, and only recently (as far as I know) started pricing them that high. Of course I would prefer them to sell closer to our price, I even made a scene about it with Newbury, but what can you do. Those two companies go out on a limb to help us and honestly we wouldn't be in the same spot we're in now without Hot Topic. 

Yes, I do know that. Newbury Comics sells it for the same price more or less. Those are our two biggest accounts, and only recently (as far as I know) started pricing them that high. Of course I would prefer them to sell closer to our price, I even made a scene about it with Newbury, but what can you do. Those two companies go out on a limb to help us and honestly we wouldn't be in the same spot we're in now without Hot Topic. 

personally it just bums me out that for a while HT priced at about the same level and then decided to bump it.

Sometimes I feel like I am living in a different world than most of the people on VC. I rarely ever spend over 20 bucks on a record, and the rare occasions that I do it is typically an import.

It's so weird that $20-$30 records is the norm for you guys.

Maybe it's time to accept that vinyl at the moment is seen as a novelty and collectible and not a music format. 

I say it over and over: the reason my collection is so large is because when I started buying in the 80s/90s it was 10x cheaper to buy on vinyl than cassette and cd. I was looking the other day at my copy of Slint "Spiderland" and it still has a $2 price tag on the back. I bought all my music on vinyl so that I could have 5 items for the price of a cd. 

In the past year I have scaled back my buying of vinyl exponentially correlating with the ridiculous rise in prices. I'm not immune from the occasional vinyl splurge but I'm killing it at my local used book store where they have binders of cds for $1. 

If the physical format is more important than the music then you'll have to roll along with Brother Tate and eat the cost. My advice: get your consumer habits in check and go for the cheaper option whenever the music holds no nostalgia. 

Now, I know I'll get a bunch of "It sounds better" bullshit. Nothing I've bought in 30+ years of buying vinyl justifies me reaching into my pocket for a marginal record and paying $30 when the cd can be had for $1 used. 

^ Smartest post in this thread.

I have also been scoring big lately on cheap CDs.

And I will continue to until 10 years from now when cdcollective starts up and people start buying them again for nostalgia.